It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking From NASA! "Mysterious Group of Asteroids."

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz
Yes, they are looking at a whole bunch of the asteroids in this "family", but like I said the article never said anything about 10 mysterious objects. Once again, the Euphro-whatever asteroid (which gave its name to the "family") is one of the 10 largest asteroids in the main belt. That was just a besides information that seems to have confused the hell out of you.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: nataylor

originally posted by: Wolfenz

ahh Where is the Mysterious 9 others! ?

The article says Euphrosyne is one of the "10 largest asteroids in the main belt." The other 9 largest asteroids (by mass: 1 Ceres, 4 Vesta, 2 Pallas, 10 Hygiea, 704 Interamnia, 511 Davida, 532 Herculina, 15 Eunomia, 3 Juno) are in different families.

a bit confusing as NASA says Euphrosynes is a Asteroid then NASA says its a Asteroid Family Group..

more likely a article error , as there is 1,400 in the Euphrosynes Group ,
Asteroid families are named after the first asteroid discovered in that particular family (which tends to be the largest asteroid in the family, since larger objects are easier to find). So 31 Euphrosyne is the major asteroid in the Euphrosyne family.

Yeah I know all this ...

As i Said this...

Where is the Mysterious 9 others! ?

I was refering were is the "" photos "" of the other 9 from the Big 10 Euphrosynes asteroids

Sorry my bad that you Misunderstood !

Asteroid families are named after the first asteroid discovered in that particular family (which tends to be the largest asteroid in the family, since larger objects are easier to find). So 31 Euphrosyne is the major asteroid in the Euphrosyne family.

thats what i thought .. should be more better in explaining insted of just placing a ( S) at the end for a concidered Group ..

thanks for placing this anywho , for ther rest of ATS ..

edit on 42015ThursdayfAmerica/Chicago8217 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 42015ThursdayfAmerica/Chicago8217 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

You're misunderstanding. The article says Euphrosyne is one of the "10 largest asteroids in the main belt." The other 9 asteroids are not in the Euphrosyne family. I listed the names of the other 9 largest asteroids: 1 Ceres, 4 Vesta, 2 Pallas, 10 Hygiea, 704 Interamnia, 511 Davida, 532 Herculina, 15 Eunomia, and 3 Juno.

And I think the article did a pretty good job of explaining the difference between Euphrosyne and the Euphrosyne family:

Distributed at the outer edge of the asteroid belt, the Euphrosynes have an unusual orbital path that juts well above the ecliptic, the equator of the solar system. The asteroid after which they are named, Euphrosyne -- for an ancient Greek goddess of mirth -- is about 156 miles (260 kilometers) across and is one of the 10 largest asteroids in the main belt. Current-day Euphrosyne is thought to be a remnant of a massive collision about 700 million years ago that formed the family of smaller asteroids bearing its name. Scientists think this event was one of the last great collisions in the solar system.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You're misunderstanding. The article says Euphrosyne is one of the "10 largest asteroids in the main belt." The other 9 asteroids are not in the Euphrosyne family. I listed the names of the other 9 largest asteroids: 1 Ceres, 4 Vesta, 2 Pallas, 10 Hygiea, 704 Interamnia, 511 Davida, 532 Herculina, 15 Eunomia, and 3 Juno.

And I think the article did a pretty good job of explaining the difference between Euphrosyne and the Euphrosyne family:

Distributed at the outer edge of the asteroid belt, the Euphrosynes have an unusual orbital path that juts well above the ecliptic, the equator of the solar system. The asteroid after which they are named, Euphrosyne -- for an ancient Greek goddess of mirth -- is about 156 miles (260 kilometers) across and is one of the 10 largest asteroids in the main belt. Current-day Euphrosyne is thought to be a remnant of a massive collision about 700 million years ago that formed the family of smaller asteroids bearing its name. Scientists think this event was one of the last great collisions in the solar system.

when you see Euphrosyne & Euphrosynes Orbit & Orbits and not really saying .. Group or groups ..

Sorry don't know much of Astronomer Speak..

you forgot the S as in Euphrosynes LOL.

who's confusing who here! Now?

you see if NASA had Placed Family , it would be different it only did a few time's in the article ! and instead
the S at the End..

ohh yeah does it say that " in the article " of the big 10 !asteroid's of what there names are ?

the Euphrosynes have an unusual orbital path that juts well above the ecliptic, the equator of the solar system. The asteroid after which they are named, Euphrosyne -

at little change

the Euphrosyne's have an unusual orbital path that juts well above the ecliptic, the equator of the solar system. The (( The Asteroid family Group Name is from a asteroid of the same name, called 31 Euphrosyne ))

there all fix and defiantly sound's better.

Euphrosyne
en.wikipedia.org...

hmm not out of the 10 largest but actually 12 its the 5th largest out of the 12.

speaking of Ceres Asteroid or a Dwarf Planet! talk about confusing.

so lets take Ceres out of that Equation.. seeing it considered ( Now ) a minor planet

Ceres
en.wikipedia.org...

Ceres (/ˈsɪəriːz/;[16] minor-planet designation: 1 Ceres) is the largest object in the asteroid belt, which lies between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. Its diameter is approximately 945 kilometers (587 miles),[6] making it the largest of the minor planets within the orbit of Neptune. The thirty-third largest known body in the Solar System, it is the only one within the orbit of Neptune that is designated a dwarf planet by the International Astronomical Union (IAU).

ohhh wiki LOL

so is it 12 or 9 of the Biggest Asteroids in the Belt ?

Your Serve...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: egidio88

NASA would be the last one to tell us something will hit

Am I wrong ?

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MarryPass

I feel like something is changing, tho. In any case, Russians will tell us everything, ahahahah!

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble understanding you. I assume English isn't your native language.

At any rate, shorthand for the Euphrosyne family would just be to pluralize Euphrosyne. Euphrosynes = Euphrosyne family. Just like a human family with a last of name of Smith may be referred to as "the Smith family" or simply "the Smiths."

And if you look here, you'll see that 31 Euphrosyne is is the 5th most massive asteroid.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble understanding you. I assume English isn't your native language.

At any rate, shorthand for the Euphrosyne family would just be to pluralize Euphrosyne. Euphrosynes = Euphrosyne family. Just like a human family with a last of name of Smith may be referred to as "the Smith family" or simply "the Smiths."

And if you look here, you'll see that 31 Euphrosyne is is the 5th most massive asteroid.

what do i have to do draw you a diagram ?

Euphrosyne ( One Asteroid )
Euphrosyne's ( more then One )
Euphrosyne Family ( the Group from 31 Euphrosyne , the Least Used from that article )

yeah yeah MR Smith and THE SMITHS THE actually Helps. instead of smith's

I guess Cornell University is better at wording then NASA

The Euphrosyne family's contribution to the low albedo near-Earth asteroids
Joseph R. Masiero, V. Carruba, A. Mainzer, J. M. Bauer, C. Nugent
(Submitted on 28 Jul 2015)
arxiv.org...

trouble understanding me , seriously ? sorry I'm not a grammar punctuation king .

" reason"
they only let me out of my DEN. when they feel like it

ohh

Nia:wen! Kanien’kéha

English is my First

the only problem i see is punctuation, ,' - ". that Ill admit, guilty as sin !

anyway ..

In Today News

NASA’s NEOWISE tracks Euphrosyne asteroid family back to birthplace

The Euphrosyne asteroid family occupies a unique place in orbital element space
By Anjali Singh Deswal -
2015-08-07
www.natureworldreport.com...

So in total, how many family groups of asteroids that are studied ?

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

NASA did put a "the" in there:

Sorry I assumed English wasn't your native language. I do find your writing style hard to follow, though.

Here's a list of asteroid groups and families: en.wikipedia.org...:Asteroid_groups_and_families

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

So we found out that the Picture is Just the Time elapse of the Biggest one out of the 10 ..

MYSTERIOUS!! Asteroid Objects

ahh Where is the Mysterious 9 others!

That's what we're replying to, in case it wasn't clear.

The asteroid isn't the biggest one of the 10 mysterious asteroid objects (it's one of the 10 biggest asteroids in the main belt). If you mean the asteroid "family" that bears its name, there are over a thousand of these objects. The images of these asteroids are in the WISE data archive somewhere, but I don't know if they are available to the public.

In any case, asteroids in images look very much like stars (which is why they are called asteroids, aka "star-like") except they appear to move in images taken over the course of time. I doubt images of these asteroids would be of much use to you, although they would be interesting to look at in the view of this topic.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
SO here is a question I would like to know.
How close could Alien ships get before we would KNOW what they were?
Use Klingons designs as a reference.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

as i mentioned is there any photos of the other big 9 and there family's ? in the Belt that has the more attention . out of the 700,000 asteroids in the belt

Cere is is 1 out of the 10 , but in 2006 it was reclassified as a Minor planet not a asteroid ..
so we can leave that out.

but for me im more interested in Saturn's mysterious anomaly's

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   

a reply to: wildespace

as i mentioned is there any photos of the other big 9 and there family's ?

Here are the photos of the 10 largest asteroids in the main belt:

Source: www.eniscuola.net...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join