It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress quietly ends federal government's ban on medical marijuana

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Well not being a pothead, doesn't really hold with me. Or them for that matter. :p

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
If drug addiction is an illness (and it is, as it requires clinical treatment), then imprisoning drug addicts is unconscionable. It would be like trying to treat the flu with prison and fines.

Spot on. The way this country treats people that suffer from addiction is baffling to me! The lack of compassion for one another has gotten brutal.

Addiction is a disease. These people need treatment not a cage. Like with any treatment, it can't be expected to always work....but would we stop a cancer patient from getting chemo because it may not work? Do we say "Why should we help out a selfish scumbag like that?" about a cancer patient who's made questionable decisions at some point in their lives? Person gets cancer, treatment is the next step.

We try, we learn, we adjust, and then we keep on trying..no matter what...because that's what real people who truly value humanity do. If we let bitterness and spite fully engulf us then we lose what makes us human. We see a thirsty man in the desert, we give him water, without judgement....because he is us and we are him.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Do you like to abuse something

Do you kick your dog

Do you get drunk everyday

Do you abuse doctor's pills

smoking pot is ok, but do you abuse it

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
WOW!

LA Times

Tucked deep inside the 1,603-page federal spending measure is a provision that effectively ends the federal government's prohibition on medical marijuana and signals a major shift in drug policy.

The bill's passage over the weekend marks the first time Congress has approved nationally significant legislation backed by legalization advocates. It brings almost to a close two decades of tension between the states and Washington over medical use of marijuana.

Under the provision, states where medical pot is legal would no longer need to worry about federal drug agents raiding retail operations. Agents would be prohibited from doing so.

The Obama administration has largely followed that rule since last year as a matter of policy. But the measure approved as part of the spending bill, which President Obama plans to sign this week, will codify it as a matter of law.

I'm too shocked to say much at the moment. This is freaking huge news for chronic pain sufferers, PTSD/Anxiety sufferers cancer and glaucoma patients and the doctors that prescribe medical MJ and the dispensaries. WOW! Progress!

Awesome find.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

smoking pot is ok, but do you abuse it

Abusing pot would be not storing it properly, letting it go stale, accidentally dropping some in a wet sink... I really try not to.
edit on 4-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

So does this mean that I can now actually use the prescription for chronic pain my doctor gave me without fear of losing my federal housing assistance (section 8)? Can anyone clarify this? Since I'm on a state coverage plan, they will know immediately if I fill the prescription, and I have friends who lost their Section 8 after doing so.

Does this specifically change that? Or is it limited only to just prohibiting the feds from raiding dispensaries? Any clarification (preferably with proof) would be welcome.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

FINALLY! Man, how did I miss this news?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: Swills

All drugs should be legal to a certain extent, penalizing and criminalizing what one does with ones own body is the last hurtle of the civil rights movement and this like gay marriage is a civil rights issue.

Agree with the beginning of your statement... but I don't agree that it's the last hurtle of the civil rights moment. There will always be hurtles to fight when it comes to civil rights.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Better late than never! The raids actually ended someone I knew of in Federal prison. The short sentence they served killed them (literally, they died in prison), and in no way did they violate any state law to deserve that punishment. It's the federal law that killed the man.

All I can say is this: It's about time! Hemp will not ever "hurt" the oil industry. The truth is that most people that take cannabis also will take prescription pain relievers if the pain is bad enough. Honestly, the big-pharma industry doesn't have anything to lose with this. People that consume cannabis usually like to partake in alcohol (if their health can support it). If someone smokes tobacco, they usually use it after they have consumed cannabis.

With all of the PROVEN health benefits, why is it such a problem? All of the industries that are against it will not suffer! If it was legal for all purposes (like Amsterdam), there would be no place in prison for 77% of US prisoners! Just think about what that would save the Justus Department!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: charolais

um, well i starred you anyway but we will have to agree to disagree. I dont think we would want a perpetual movement of any kind, that would lead to the suppression of other groups and their rights. Perhaps its not the last but in my opinion certainly one of the last, and i can imagine eventually a balanced Utopian type society, we are not there yet but i suppose that would be the logical end. I am kinda trans-humanist and believe that our technology is the cure to the hard problem, "peace on earth".

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Old news folks here on ATS.

Here is my thread about it from December 2014.

It's Over - Congress Quietly Ends Federal Government's Ban on Medical Marijuana

Tucked deep inside the 1,603-page federal spending measure is a provision that effectively ends the federal government's prohibition on medical marijuana and signals a major shift in drug policy.

The bill's passage over the weekend marks the first time Congress has approved nationally significant legislation backed by legalization advocates. It brings almost to a close two decades of tension between the states and Washington over medical use of marijuana.

Under the provision, states where medical pot is legal would no longer need to worry about federal drug agents raiding retail operations. Agents would be prohibited from doing so.

edit on 4-8-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You didn't.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

where you link to this

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You didn't.

where you link to this

Glad to hear this. Now they need to do this recreationally. If I can sit in my home and have a beer/mixed drink, I should be able to do the same with marijuana.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This is a good place for Weed news.

www.theweedblog.com...

I didn't read every post in this thread, so if somebody else mentioned this so sorry.

I've had it in the back of my mind for some time, if Big Pharma could get in on this, it would be a real Cash Cow for them.

That's what I am waiting for, they will step in and take over the distribution of Medical Weed. This is all speculation on my part.

Anyway good news for folks who need it. I live in Washington State, so we are already puffing away.

And there is no way to "abuse weed", unless you smoke so much you fall asleep in your recliner with a party bag of Cheetos in your lap.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Oh well.... i guess im moving the the US!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Deja vu

the psych science is correct

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'm thinking out loud here, which is a very dangerous thing... lol... I wonder why the US Govt. is being so kind with their marijuana drug policies now, is it progressive minds in D.C. or is there an agenda behind this? Could it be because we citizens are getting fed up with them, and the Govt. figures if they allow the whole population to get stoned there will be a more "relaxed" less irritable population to control...

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

In some way it may be possible. I have a certain family member that works for the border patrol that said that marijuana would be legalized in the near future. I ultimately think they were right.

As far as what you're saying, it may be possible. If it all falls apart, it may help people in ways that they cannot see yet. From what I've read the collapse will happen soon.

The biggest thing to remember is that it "could always be worse" as they say. I don't think it will hurt anything if medicine is legalized. In fact, at this point-it might even be able to get the US out of debt, it if is legalized tomorrow! Otherwise......

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
If Donald Trump went pro-pot, he would avalanche the whole election, hands down.....

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

I'm thinking out loud here, which is a very dangerous thing... lol... I wonder why the US Govt. is being so kind with their marijuana drug policies now, is it progressive minds in D.C. or is there an agenda behind this?

Two words; Tax Revenue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join