It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No animals perished as result of tsunami!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Animals certainly have it all over humans, dont they? It appears they "sensed" something wrong and possibly went to higher grounds.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20041229/ap_on_re_a s/

Why cant humans do this? Even if we think something might be wrong, we dont know "when" or "where"
Interesting.....

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
link not working

Experts: Tsunami Kills Few Animals

Wed Dec 29, 6:18 AM ET

By GEMUNU AMARASINGHE, Associated Press Writer

YALA NATIONAL PARK, Sri Lanka - Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka expressed surprise Wednesday that they found no evidence of large-scale animal deaths from the weekend's massive tsunami � indicating that animals may have sensed the wave coming and fled to higher ground.

An Associated Press photographer who flew over Sri Lanka's Yala National Park in an air force helicopter saw abundant wildlife, including elephants, buffalo, deer, and not a single animal corpse.

Floodwaters from the tsunami swept into the park, uprooting trees and toppling cars onto their roofs � one red car even ended up on top of a huge tree � but the animals apparently were not harmed and may have sought out high ground, said Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, whose Jetwing Eco Holidays ran a hotel in the park.

"This is very interesting. I am finding bodies of humans, but I have yet to see a dead animal," said Wijeyeratne, whose hotel in the park was totally destroyed in Sunday's tidal surge.

"Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense," Wijeyeratne said.

Yala, Sri Lanka's largest wildlife reserve, is home to 200 Asian Elephants, crocodile, wild boar, water buffalo and gray langur monkeys. The park also has Asia's highest concentration of leopards. The Yala reserve covers an area of 391 square miles, but only 56 square miles are open to tourists.

The human death toll in Sri Lanka surpassed 21,000. Forty foreigners were among 200 people in Yala who were killed.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I WONT LISTIN TO NO MEDIA NO MORE

ITS FULL OF LIES,,,

They coulda'v easily dropped a bomb in the ocean,
made it explode deep under water, and U create the same effect of an earthquake....

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I just got done reading that my self. I posted it in another forum where they were talking about the poles shifting. It just goes to show you that you should pay attention to what mother nature is telling you.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Mother Earth will start to cleanse herself very soon,,,

I dont need no radio or TV to make me that clear...

All they show U is terrorism, but they forget to tell U their real mission...

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Italiano
I WONT LISTIN TO NO MEDIA NO MORE

ITS FULL OF LIES,,,

They coulda'v easily dropped a bomb in the ocean,
made it explode deep under water, and U create the same effect of an earthquake....

can you please stick to the subject being discussed, your comment seems to be better suited to a different discussion.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by pantha]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It's not sixth sense or whatnot, it's that precious comodity that humans no longer have. "common sense" An animal sees a tsunami out to sea and thinks "**** RUNNNN!!!" A human sees one and calls all his friends to bring beers and take pictures.

Whilst I'm not intentionally being cruel to the thousands that have suffered it never ceases to amaze me how many "live" photos and footages are around of various natural disaters. I mean folks, mother nature wakes up with a hangover, don't stand in her way, you will die.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by feygan]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I know that if I was vacationing, in a foreign land on a sandy beach I too would be dead. I would have been admiring the ocean, just as many others did on that sunny day. Iw ould have seen some bigger waves coming (I may have very well been in the ocean already as I love the water) and I would have watched in amazement. No-one ever expects to stand at the ocean, enjoying it, and witness the tide suck out into a wall of water.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just minutes before the 1971 San Fernando (Sylmar) earthquake, my dog hid under my bed. I thought it was very odd at the time but I understand now why he did that.

I wonder if people saw the animals heading for the hills (and how long before the tsunami hit)?

[edit on 12/29/2004 by angel_ray]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
i think the animals don't have a 6th sense, but when something is stalking them or hunting them they will run because they feel threatened. obviously the animals felt the earthquake and somehow decided to go to higher ground. the monkeys probably climbed trees and the others just ran. i really don't no why so many have died, there should have been proper warnings implimented to lessen the effect of such an event. this is a pure example of how careless and ignorant we are. this is the 21st century, we shouldn't have to worry about earthquakes, volcanos, tidal waves etc. we should have proper precautions that are in place to stop these. it was a full 60 mintues before the tidal wave hit some places with devastating effects, why was no one warned!

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   

as posted by dgtempe
Why cant humans do this? Even if we think something might be wrong, we dont know "when" or "where"

It has been proven, through observational testings, that animals have the innate ability to detect/sense natural earth occurances (better classed as 'danger'). Examples would be animals sensing tornado's, earthquakes, encroaching forest fires, etc. It has been claimed that some human beings also have this innate ability to sense 'danger' or disasterous or catastrophic events.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think that we humans do have some innate ability to sense when something is wrong, out of the ordinary. The problem is we drown our own senses all day long with T.V., radio, and these damn computers. We are so preoccupied with other things that we are out of contact with nature and mother earth. All the animals do all day is eat, #, and sleep. There is no distraction from what the ground beneath them is doing, and it is my assumption (and we all know what happens to those who assume) that this could be why they were able to sense this event, and others like it. Meanwhile the tourists and locals were drinking Mai Tai's and listening to some music or something.

Shaunybaby: "This is a pure example of how careless and ignorant we are"

I tend to disagree with this statement. Our (i.e. the developed world) sensors picked up this quake and sent warning to countries in the region 3 HOURS before any Tsunami hit. Now was there any way to determine the size and location of the impending Tsunami, at least in that area, but it is the backasswardness of these countries that lent to the massive destruction and death we have seen. Weak buildings, poor communication and early warning systems, etc. Do you know that here on the west coast of the USA (I live in Los Angeles, CA) we would have about 6 HOURS of pre-warning of a Tsunami. We have all sorts of sensors in the ocean that can determine the direction, speed, and size of Tsunami, and this type of protection shows exactly the opposite of of the carelessness and ignorance you think exists.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

It has been proven, through observational testings, that animals have the innate ability to detect/sense natural earth occurances (better classed as 'danger'). Examples would be animals sensing tornado's, earthquakes, encroaching forest fires, etc. It has been claimed that some human beings also have this innate ability to sense 'danger' or disasterous or catastrophic events.

I read somewhere a long time ago, that animals can feel the vibrations
through the ground, now how much truth is in that I don't know.

On an added note, they showed a video on the news here in Australia
yesterday, when the first wave hit everyone just stood there and looked
at it, and were taking pictures, a few seconds later totally different story.

Mind you, how many people know all that much about Tsunami's, I certainly
didn't till this happened.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
well obviously somewhere along the line, somebody couldn't get it together in time. not quite sure about that 3 hour prior warning though, i read that it was about 60 minutes for the futhest away place to get hit. i still think that 60 minutes should be enough time for an evacuation though. i guess your right im wrong to say we are careless and ignorant, maybe just the fact that we should be more ready. like you say those precautions are inplace and people were warned...yet there have still been near to 100,000 deaths.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Consider this also, how many elephants and giraffes hang out on the beach or within a few blocks of the beach? What effect is a flood going to have on a crocodile? Or a bird for that matter.

I think that the reason so few animals in the national park were killed is that the tsunami did not impact the areas that the larger ones normally hang out in.

Humans fill in wetlands and build resorts on them, elephants don�t.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by HowardRoark]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Consider this also, how many elephants and giraffes hang out on the beach or within a few blocks of the beach? What effect is a flood going to have on a crocodile? Or a bird for that matter.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by HowardRoark]
Well, you do have something there

new topics

top topics

join