It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat Declared The 6th Taste

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
A new study says humans can detect the taste of fat. Personally I love the taste of fat, especially when it's salty. However, I never considered it to be a taste, but I guess it is now. Source

In a new study published in the journal Chemical Senses, scientists have declared “fat” as the sixth taste but its official name may be a little hard to digest. Oleogustus is Latin for "a taste for fat."

According to NPR, scientists have been working for a while to officially declare fat as the sixth taste. But to qualify as a true taste, a flavor must past a rigorous test including triggering “specific receptors on our taste buds” and posses a “unique chemical signature.”

Pretty interesting if you ask me.

Do you think your fat bud is working?
edit on 3-8-2015 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2015 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: RealTruthSeeker

I have a feeling there are a lot more coming. Its going to look like the wine tasting wheel.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

Holy smokes! Are those all the different taste you have to look for when testing wine? No wonder I suck when comes to taste testing wine. They are either just sour, bitter or sweet to me.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I know right? I saw this in my Ag class a very long time ago. I am with you, I suck at wine tasting too and I live in wine country of all places.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

totally threw me with the thread title.
not sixth taste bud.

you know, sweet, sour, bitter etc etc

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

totally threw me with the thread title.
not sixth taste bud.

you know, sweet, sour, bitter etc etc

To be honest I have no idea why I put "Buds" in there. Thanks, I fixed it.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter

I have a feeling there are a lot more coming. Its going to look like the wine tasting wheel.

Yup, a Fattasterometer should be the norm. Fat tastes different in different forms. Try microwaving a few slices of a butcher's streaky, (supermarket streaky is a waste of time) and it's brilliant for taste and texture. Any kind of back bacon in a microwave...also a waste of time. Spanish bacon, very thin and akin to Italian Pancetta but better has a beautiful taste, best grilled in a very short time at full heat.

Liquid fat is disgusting, however the microwave trumps again here. You know those tins of stewed steak, usually in gravy, microwave one of them in a bowl and the real bad ones will have a pool of liquid grease to tip out and very little else, Princes is the worst..it's rubbish. Pek, a less well known brand comes out much, much better.
Welsh Rabbit, (the original name) is another one for the grill, as long as you don't burn the bugger. I'll shut up now because I'm getting hunger vibes.

edit on 3-8-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure I could taste fat before this. Guess its " official" now.
What's does it mean. Proberly nothing, other than someone just got payed a lot of money.

new topics

top topics

join