It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Server Couldn’t Ignore the Things She ‘Overheard’ Two Firefighters Say During Breakfast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Just when you think all has gone to $#IT, this happens.

First I post a rant about a robot of friendship meeting it's fate in Philly and now I get to post a message of kindness going both ways.

Balance and Karma.

A server at a New Jersey diner picked up the tab for a pair of firefighters late last month when she overheard the two discuss how hungry they were after fighting a large warehouse fire for 12 hours without stopping to eat. The two men, who had stopped at 130 Diner in Delran following a long day battling the New Brunswick blaze, asked server Liz Woodward, 24, to bring them the largest cups of coffee she had, TODAY reported.

It read, “Your breakfast is on me today — Thank you for all that you do; for serving others & for running into the places everyone else runs away from. No matter your role, you are courageous, brave, and strong… Thank you for being bold and badass everyday! Fueled by fire and driven by courage — what an example you are. Get some rest.”

But the story didn’t stop there.

Young soon learned that Woodward’s father was quadriplegic and that she was trying to raise money to purchase him a wheelchair-accessible van. The firefighter knew he had to help.

Young provided a link to the 24-year-old’s online fundraiser for her disabled dad. The fundraiser took off and more than $68,000 has since been donated, far more than the initial $17,000 goal. Woodward was stunned. “All I did was pay for their breakfast, and I didn’t think anything would come about it except they would leave with a smile,”
www.theblaze.com...

I feel all better now.

Jude

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

it is nice to read a story like this for a change!

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: research100

it is nice to read a story like this for a change!

Yeah, after my last one this one is healing.

Jude

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

That's a superb and grateful gesture.

Many firefighters-especially in rural areas-are volunteers. They are first class citizens and I've considered joining on many occasions in a support role- helping make fire breaks, aiding in control burns, that sort of thing. I would like to improve my fitness before I consider signing up.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A wonderful story!
S&F!

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I don't mean to detract from a touching story, but I have worked many intense, difficult shifts ten to twelve hours long without a meal or breaks. I also have hypoglycemia. I never even got thanked, but thanks be to God, I'm retired now.

Even so: firemen are the best. Cops, not so much.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Very nice read! And to top it off it really helped her out in the long run because it gave her gofundme the attention it needed.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Great example of Karma working in real time, she did something without strings attached and the strings just attached themselves to her.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well I'm just heading out the door to start my day. I was alittle bummed out this morning, but this has lifted my

spirits.

Thanks Jude11 for posting this story. It reminds me to try and make someone else's day better.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
That one puts a smile on the face, I know how living with the disabled can be, my brother and best friend is a quad, more than once we played lots of hell moving him about when needed. (Of course he is 4 inches taller than me and out weighs me by 60lbs) Nice to see good will and strength in people still. Very refreshing. Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
OR....OR....did she plant this thinking why not take a chance to see if this goes viral. It then gets the word out and her very "public" profile on FB is seen by thousands.

Ok I'm just playing devil's advocate for once lol.

Nice job by both parties and well deserved!

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

Great example of Karma working in real time, she did something without strings attached and the strings just attached themselves to her.

I could not agree more with the above quote...:-)
S&F to Jude11 for posting this great thread.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

And this is one of the MANY reasons first responders deserve WAY more than they get.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Awesome post OP

Rebel 5

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Out #ing standing, good on all involved.

Thanks Jude, it is nice to read some good news for once.

Snf

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

And this is one of the MANY reasons first responders deserve WAY more than they get.

Great story, thanks for sharing.

~Tenth

They do something that goes against every instinct that every creature on Earth possesses including us...run towards a fire.

It takes a special breed.

Jude

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I've picked up the tab for firefighters a few times. during the rim fire in yosemite i picked it up, and a couple more times while in ca.

then one night i met a few at the bar and asked them if people paid for their meals often. they told me "yeah, all the time, but they shouldn't because all our meals are paid for." which made me stop, because my tax dollars are already paying for their meals, right? they told me not to pay for firefighter's meals anymore as it is not really worth it, despite it making me feel good about myself.

sorry about the negativity in this reply, just thought it was interesting. good for this server though. . .

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: denybedoomed
I've picked up the tab for firefighters a few times. during the rim fire in yosemite i picked it up, and a couple more times while in ca.

then one night i met a few at the bar and asked them if people paid for their meals often. they told me "yeah, all the time, but they shouldn't because all our meals are paid for." which made me stop, because my tax dollars are already paying for their meals, right? they told me not to pay for firefighter's meals anymore as it is not really worth it, despite it making me feel good about myself.

sorry about the negativity in this reply, just thought it was interesting. good for this server though. . .

No negativity sensed at all. Fact is fact.

In fact them telling you the truth was actually a good thing as I see it. A Thank you note and maybe an ice cream cone to go can go a long way as well.

Jude

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
yeah, they were really down to earth. they appreciate the gesture i'm sure, but told me "don't spend your dollars on us because we already get it out of your taxes."

i did, however, buy them a round of drinks! i'm sure the dept. doesn't pay for that!

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Oh, wow, how totally wonderful! I love reading stories like this. It restores my faith in humanity.

My eyes are leaking a little.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join