It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idaho raises the bar on racist idiocy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Can you believe bigotry can be condoned by an elected official like this? Middle Eastern college students go off to explore the mountains, and the mayor calls the sheriff? Wouldn't a backwater town welcome tourism?
Elk River Mayor concerned about Middle Eastern "undesirables."

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I was at the gym last week, signing in to use the massage bed. Yes, I am a cheapskate and go to Planet Fitness, so sue me.

Anyway, while I was signing the clip board I heard one of the staff members explaining to a new member how the "personal training" works. Basically they work with you and show you how to use the equipment. It's not real personal training, but I digress...

The staff member says, "Azmell is trainer on Wednesdays..." and this 30-something, blonde, fairly well dressed woman said in response, "Is he a member of ISIS or something?"

I snapped my head around and I think my jaw opened a little. The gym staff member (who I could tell was obviously annoyed) calmly said, "No, no he's not.." The woman replied, "Well, with a name like that you can never know..."

I swear incidents like this aren't isolated. I run across people like this ALL the time.

As the woman was walking off I said to the staff member very loudly (so the woman could hear) .. "Damn, well THAT was certainly racist!" The staff member smiled and said in response, "Well, you can say that..."

I'd like to say that was an isolated incident, but sadly it happens all the time. I see it on Facebook, hear it in the elevator, out smoking on break, in work emails -- thinly veiled racism that people just put up with.

But we're apparently OK with it -- because FoxNews and Brietbart tells us a dark skinned Disney villain is hiding behind every tree, waiting to kill us all:

Sometimes I really want off this rock.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Facepalm her. Hard. Because she obviously needs some real thing in her life.

What have we become...

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Seems like a lot of anger about a situation that really bothers you. The situation you are describing as stated is obviously a racist and hateful statement based upon a name. The same situation existed here in the US a short while ago when your name was Irish or Italian and no proper person would associate….

If you do what you've done and educate those you meet that are still on the losing side of knowledge, with the cumulative effort of all we influence, we can eventually change this. If we understand the same problem but disagree with how to fix it instead of working together to fix it, how stupid are we?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I had a woman the other day tell me that several "terrorists" were in our town, and that she's seen them "here and there" a few times. She was very concerned.

I had to not work hard to not facepalm right then, and instead nod with feigned, fear-filled eyes.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

ISIS is a religious off-shoot, a radical form of Islam. A religion that many follow.

Given certain events that have happened on American soil, and given the typical racial background of the perpetrators of said events, her comment is a valid one, all be it, a fearful comment, a valid one none the less.

Oh.. I forgot.. Silly me. Islam and ISIS are the religion of peace and harmony.. I keep forgetting my government provided re-education classes.

Those Marines that died in TN, and the person beheaded in Oklahoma, and the countless of other altercations are all just over-zealous loving Islamic people trying to spread their religious love and care across our nation, they just haven't figured out that we use hugs, and not bullets and knives. Perhaps it's a translation issue from Arabic to English?

/sarc

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

She said it in a mocking, condescending tone -- not one of concern.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Also, terror threats at home are greatly exaggerated by the media to scare you:

As shown below, that means that you’re 55 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist.

You’re Much More Likely to Be Killed By Brain-Eating Parasites, Texting While Driving, Toddlers, Lightning, Falling Out of Bed, Alcoholism, Food Poisoning, Choking On Food, a Financial Crash, Obesity, Medical Errors or “Autoerotic Asphyxiation” than by Terrorists

Daniel Benjamin – the Coordinator for Counterterrorism at the United States Department of State from 2009 to 2012 – noted last month (at 10:22):

The total number of deaths from terrorism in recent years has been extremely small in the West. And the threat itself has been considerably reduced. Given all the headlines people don’t have that perception; but if you look at the statistics that is the case.

Time Magazine noted in 2013 that the chance of dying in a terrorist attack in the United States from 2007 to 2011, according to Richard Barrett – coordinator of the United Nations al Qaeda/Taliban Monitoring Team – was 1 in 20 million.

GlobalResearch.ca

So no, it's not rational for people to spew racist comments like that out of "fear".

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
From the OP source...

“we don’t want what’s happening in the rest of the world to happen here.” He also said a man taking pictures of the town’s commercial district was reported as “strange acting” because “people don’t just walk up and down taking pictures.”

and...

The second incident happened the next day when a man parked his van near the post office, and stayed in it with his dog for three to four hours.

We are constantly told by our Government that if we 'see something say something'. Both of the above incidents could be considered suspicious and letting the local sheriff know is probably a reasonable response.

I am not saying that the mayor is not racist, but these small towns are suspicious of outsiders to begin with (if you have ever been to a small town you probably know what I mean). Add in the suspicious behavior that was observed I think I would give the mayor a pass.

Anyway, I don't think it is that big of a deal. It has been blown out of proportion by the author of that article and the OP.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't know, I've sat parked listening to an audio book for several hours before to kill time.

I call it fear mongering, considering as I outline above you're 55 times more likely to be killed by a cop than a "terrorist".

Just another way to take away our freedom and justify more of a police state. Neighbors telling on neighbors. In the 50's it was the "commies" -- you'd tell the FBI you suspected your neighbor of being a communist sympathizer. Now it's "terrorism".

We never learn, we just go around and around.

I refuse to live in fear and suspicion.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

We are constantly told by our Government that if we 'see something say something'.

And how much do you agree with it?

You are pro keep your nose out of my business right?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

We are constantly told by our Government that if we 'see something say something'.

And how much do you agree with it?

You are pro keep your nose out of my business right?

I don't agree with the above statement at all, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have an affect on people and their actions. I don't know the mayor or if he is a racist, but he deserves the benefit of the doubt based on what was observed.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   

You bring up an important issue -- we shouldn't be running around slinging the term "racist!" at people all willy-nilly. It devalues the term, and it also has the consequence of ruining reputations and lives.

Is the mayor racist? Maybe, maybe not -- I have seen an increase of race-motivated paranoia though, and I think given enough time that fear based, race profiling can lead to real racism.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Also, terror threats at home are greatly exaggerated by the media to scare you:

As shown below, that means that you’re 55 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than a terrorist.

You’re Much More Likely to Be Killed By Brain-Eating Parasites, Texting While Driving, Toddlers, Lightning, Falling Out of Bed, Alcoholism, Food Poisoning, Choking On Food, a Financial Crash, Obesity, Medical Errors or “Autoerotic Asphyxiation” than by Terrorists

Daniel Benjamin – the Coordinator for Counterterrorism at the United States Department of State from 2009 to 2012 – noted last month (at 10:22):

The total number of deaths from terrorism in recent years has been extremely small in the West. And the threat itself has been considerably reduced. Given all the headlines people don’t have that perception; but if you look at the statistics that is the case.

Time Magazine noted in 2013 that the chance of dying in a terrorist attack in the United States from 2007 to 2011, according to Richard Barrett – coordinator of the United Nations al Qaeda/Taliban Monitoring Team – was 1 in 20 million.

GlobalResearch.ca

So no, it's not rational for people to spew racist comments like that out of "fear".

Wait, first you didn't include a demeanor for this woman.

Than you claim she was mocking and condescending..

Now your saying it wasn't a fearful comment..

Sounds like it would have been safer to engage this woman in a polite conversation and ask her about her comment, rather than presume to know..

And your source is also biased, as is all government-funded statistics. The article out-right states that there is no official tracking for death by police, or police justifiable homicide.

Two of the major sources for this Mueller and Stewart, are both well known for their police vs terrorism papers.

And the other source in that article, the CDC. On top of being an apple and organs type comparison. Yes, of course your more likely to die of a disease of the heart than a terrorist.. Everyone has a heart, not everyone is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Like all statistics, they can be bent in any direction the person putting the list together wants.

I could show the statistics of dying while peeling an apple, and compare that to the number of terrorism-related deaths and show you that your more likely to die from a terrorist attack.

Up 'til fairly recently, I'm sure the odds of being gunned down at a recruiting office were rather slim as well. Now a precedent has been set, has it not?

So let's not go in on such flippant things like statistics, especially when they are not properly quantified.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
ISIS is a religious off-shoot, a radical form of Islam. A religion that many follow.

Wrong.
ISIS is a death cult using a distorted version of Islamic faith as an excuse to act on their barbaric and psychopathic tendencies.

Do you also believe that the Westboro cult is representative of all Christians? Honest answer please.

Given certain events that have happened on American soil, and given the typical racial background of the perpetrators of said events, her comment is a valid one, all be it, a fearful comment, a valid one none the less.

Then you agree that it's also valid to be fearful of all right-wing gun owners, given the number of shootings every year in America by right-wing gunmen.

But let me guess, you prefer to detach politics and religion from the white American who shoots up his place of work, or the student shooting up a school, or the young man shooting in a church, because it's "mental instability" in that case, and it's entirely detached from the crime when it's a white American Christian with right-wing opinions - but entirely "valid" when it's a Muslim, right?

Oh.. I forgot.. Silly me. Islam and ISIS are the religion of peace and harmony.. I keep forgetting my government provided re-education classes.

No re-education needed, just basic common sense. Given that there are millions of Muslims in our countries and there are not even 50 terrorist attacks every year. Do you claim that all those many millions of Muslims are all planning something?

This is the level of ignorance we're dealing with people, and the fact that it was starred by anyone here makes me depressed to be a member of this community.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

You know, I saw a car with the Isis flag on the back in America, the window was tinted and had the white lettering it was indeed the ISIS flag. In America we allow the flags of our enemy's to fly by the patriotic or sympathizers.

In Isis territory or even anywhere in the Middle East how safe would you feel flying the American flag? You wouldn't, you know they would cut your head off on H.D T.V while your family begged for your life.

Thinly veild rascim please, we are not racist as a society we, we are tolerant and solve our problems through compromise. That lady's sentiment is fair if she doesn't want a middle eastern trainer she doesn't have to have one, same with people who don't want middle eastern doctors.

This is a free market and protest and satire can even be in the way we spend our money. I wonder how you would feel if you were in the Middle East market while a group chatted about cutting your head off,wonder if that would still be rasict or just a way they stick it their imperial masters.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I had a woman the other day tell me that several "terrorists" were in our town, and that she's seen them "here and there" a few times. She was very concerned.

I had to not work hard to not facepalm right then, and instead nod with feigned, fear-filled eyes.
It's not fair to connect people with terrorism before you know whether they are muzlims or not.l..

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
Can you believe bigotry can be condoned by an elected official like this? Middle Eastern college students go off to explore the mountains, and the mayor calls the sheriff? Wouldn't a backwater town welcome tourism?
Elk River Mayor concerned about Middle Eastern "undesirables."

If this is the same Elk River that I know, it is a "Town" of about 100-150 people. Tops. It is a former mining town that has been slowly dying for decades. I am guessing Mayor Quimby had his own personal freak-out and that was about it.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

i cannot Star this enough..

you can see in comments the clear issues here.. essentially Brown people might all be dangerous...

so seriously for a minute, i have been coming on ATS for 4-5 years or there abouts, everyone used to have there hate on for anything the government had to say, a whole heap of denying ignorance, now because a few (i am going to be that guy and break down numbers so you get how small this all is) Guys who claim to follow a religion, but in fact do not follow the teachings of the religion and cherry pick specific parts to justify their actions kill some people we have people on this site taring general every day citizens as possible terrorists.

1.6 BILLION Muslims

0.6 % of them in the Americas (9.6 million)

953.7 Million people is the rough poppulation of the Americas

that means one in about every 100 people in the Americas is a Muslim

how can anyone possibly accept at all that all, or even most of them might be a terrorist

since 2013 there has been 11 terror attacks link to Muslims in the US -

there are 310 million registered gun owners in america

there have been 12 mass shootings in America since 2013 (roughly)

so... as roughly one in three Americans own a gun by the basic logic of presuming all Muslims might be terrorists you should be roughly 40 times more terrified that some random American is going to shoot up a populated area near you because that's what the numbers show.

so lets put that mentality to bed shall we as we are here to Deny ignorance, not have some R-tarded prejudiced views on people based on what essentially amounts to the color of heir skin or how their name sounds...

and that's presuming that everyone one with an middle eastern sounding name or color is in fact Muslim and not one of the other Massive religions in the world (i mean there are about 250,000 Sikh's in the USA alone)

Deny Ignorance

Peace xx

edit on 3-8-2015 by GonzoSinister because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Wrong.
ISIS is a death cult using a distorted version of Islamic faith as an excuse to act on their barbaric and psychopathic tendencies.

Do you also believe that the Westboro cult is representative of all Christians? Honest answer please.

Then you agree that it's also valid to be fearful of all right-wing gun owners, given the number of shootings every year in America by right-wing gunmen.

But let me guess, you prefer to detach politics and religion from the white American who shoots up his place of work, or the student shooting up a school, or the young man shooting in a church, because it's "mental instability" in that case, and it's entirely detached from the crime when it's a white American Christian with right-wing opinions - but entirely "valid" when it's a Muslim, right?

No re-education needed, just basic common sense. Given that there are millions of Muslims in our countries and there are not even 50 terrorist attacks every year. Do you claim that all those many millions of Muslims are all planning something?

This is the level of ignorance we're dealing with people, and the fact that it was starred by anyone here makes me depressed to be a member of this community.

How ever you wish to define ISIS, the fact remains it is STILL an EXNTENSION of ISLAM!

Of course I do not believe the westboro group reflects ALL Christians.. (Westboro is based off of Christianity, just as ISIS is based off of Islam, tho) I never implied ISIS encompases ALL of Islam either, so stop getting your panties in a wad.

I'm not going to even get into the whole ring-wing / left-wing thing with you, either.. Believe what you wish, Rocker, last I knew, a majority of those mass murders associated with the left wing, and had writings showing so, but sure, it's the ring-wing.. Left is right, up is down.. I don't care their political affiliations, and neither should you. There are demented minds in all sides of every "box" you wish to define people in.

I agree, however, ISIS is gross, and needs to be eradicated. I'd volunteer to go help, if I were physically able.

What blows my mind, Rocker, is that you believe the opposite, and take what is being fed to you, that everything in rainbows and kittens and unicorns farting rainbows.

And don't you dare put words in my mouth again. Just because there are nutters all over the place, do not mean all are nutters. But, you can never tell a good nut from a bad nut, until it is cracked.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join