It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion has ruined the concept of God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
What is it that you think of when the word "God" is mentioned? An invisible "sky daddy" who watches everything, controls everything, and then deals out judgement (either heaven or hell) when you die, right?

Atheists say they do not believe in such a being, well neither do I, but they are still being confined to that one definition of what God is. They claim that religion has no control over them but it does. The fact that people can't break away from the religious connotations of what the word "God" means goes to show that religion definitely does have control over what they think. They cannot fathom any other definition or concept of what God is because they have been bombarded by religion with this one concept their entire lives, repetition is the key to brainwashing. We have been brainwashed into believing that God MUST be the above definition, even if we claim to not believe in such a being. That's the definition most people believe in, there are no other options in most cases.

Why don't we break away from that definition and consider the concept of God in a different way? Explore the idea outside of the religious connotations, start thinking of God in more natural terms instead of the supernatural. The universe is here, it is unfathomably complex and perfect and is indescribably beautiful. How is it here? Not how did it begin, but how is it here right now? Forget the beginning or end of it, focus on the here and now. How is THIS happening?

I won't go into a theological lecture here, I just wanted to bring up this glaring issue. People are stuck in the religious mindset when it comes to the concept of God. God is not religious, it is philosophical.

ETA: I just realized this might be a better fit in the Metaphysical forum. Mods move if necessary.

edit on 8/2/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I look at the God concept like a power-station. A power station has a network of deliverables to all that is linked into it. We are the portable electrical devices that are plugged into the wall sockets and we can run for anywhere between 0-115 years.

It does not matter when the switch to your wall socket is flicked off, the power station remains steady. When in the off position our energy is used elsewhere. When the vacuum-cleaner (or other portable electrical device you want to be) breaks, we get a new one - plug it into the same socket - like the concept of reincarnation.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I can dig that, I see it in basically the same way. God is not an entity with thoughts and feelings, God is an unlimited source of energy that powers the entire universe.

For some reason people are under the impression that God must be some vengeful, judgmental being that sits on a cloud above the world. He (it) is not anything like that in my understanding. God is strictly a concept more than anything, if that makes sense.
edit on 8/2/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
God is The Energy/Vibration/Frequency/Spirit of Joy within us, which is our True Nature, our High Self, and The Source from which all came and will return and do return to in moments of Joy.

God is not a man in the sky but is The Heart/Core of The Spirit/Mind.

I am not deceived to believe God is some man in the sky separate from me.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
First I should say that I firmly believe religion helps many people learn and grow. That being said I believe that each of us has a direct link with God that doesn't require a middleman or religion. I believe we live this life to have experiences and that is part of His plan. I don't worry about what form God takes. I simply try to be the best human I can be.

I don't care much for these threads that attack religion or people's conceptions of God. It is a personal matter and many people need religion as a stepping stone to their next step. We do not have the right to interfere with the spiritual growth of another nor should we interfere with their chosen path.

Simply BE and pursue God in your own, personal way.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I've met many Christians, Jews and Muslims in my time. Some more devout than others. But I don't think any of them, at least the ones with whom the topic of religion came up, thought of their God as being just some old chap sitting up in the clouds reading everybody's mind and occasionally smiting a sinner. They think that God is present within them, within their spirits, that he is in everything, and that it is beyond our ability to truly comprehend the form of God.

You don't say it explicitly, but you are referring the Abrahamic god, that of the Jews, Muslims and Christians. Before him, there were many other gods. The Norse god Odin, for instance, was thought of as being an old hooded man who wandered the earth. The Nords also believed that their gods were mortal, and would one day be slain at Ragnarok. Shinto, the indigenous faith of Japan, places much focus on the presence of ethereal spirits which are synonymous with gods. Of course, these days, when most people think of god, they do have that preconceived notion of the Abrahamic god, in that there's only one, and he's omnipotent, and immortal.

The concept of a god by itself is harmless, but what isn't harmless is the people who believe in said god. Religion is uniquely human, and soon we crafted it after the fashion of our bloody conquests. It became very effective at uniting populations. But of course, we know all that. What I'm saying here is that religion is like a coin - there are always two sides to it. On one hand, we have the belief itself, and on the other, we have the institution, ostensibly made to further unity within society under the banner of God. They go together. You can't have one without the other.

Personally I think we'd all be better off if we put aside our need for some greater power to tell us what to do. I'd rather we take responsibility for ourselves. Wishful thinking indeed. But we've only recently had the liberty to freely challenge the institution of God. Atheism is becoming obscenely popular in the West, while in the East it can be death to speak against God. In time, perhaps, yes, the commonly held concept of God will change, but we've a long way to go yet.

Given enough time, even mountains crumble into nothing, and something new rises up to take their place. Everything changes. Many people do have a very different, often very personal, concept of god, one that doesn't quite fit in with any religious institution. The popular image of the genial, white-bearded god will fade, soon enough.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Whatever floats your boat bro.

PS:
Have you(any believer) ever considered not to think about god for a while?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Well your pet sees you as a God, you consider your Boss as a God, your Boss consider his boss as a God. The word implies a monotheistic leadership, religion is a spiritual meaning. Its the Dogma behind the purpose of the religion that makes it less worthwhile.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Surely we know that many of the terms used for God are actually referring to a Boss of some kind or man in charge, not a God as such.

When I think of the concept of God I see the planet as a living entity and also female as a mother nurturing us and nature etc. I also see 'intelligent design' which obviously works on this planet. I don't see some 'father figure' conducting this process though.

The idea of some ancient, X billions of years old man, who sat at a work bench making planets, stars, suns and tossing them into the air insults people's intelligence and patronises them. The religious never want to discuss why their ancient old man designed therapsids, dinosaurs etc etc before he looked into the mirror and decided to make man - in his own image of course.

However if the religious can get their dogma into kids brains before they can think for themselves, the rot's in and hard to get out. I think it should be against the law to teach religion before a child is 12, but the religious would blubber because their power would be cut in a couple of generations and its about time to. Lets not forget the men too lazy to do a hard days work, except parade around in frocks and supposedly hearing voices, that they are doing something useful but living off the rest of us nevertheless.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
God is The Energy/Vibration/Frequency/Spirit of Joy within us, which is our True Nature, our High Self, and The Source from which all came and will return and do return to in moments of Joy.

God is not a man in the sky but is The Heart/Core of The Spirit/Mind.

I am not deceived to believe God is some man in the sky separate from me.

With that definition of god/the spirit/the divine it becomes non religious and something all souls can experience if they seek it. Having spirit energy flowing thru the body feeling the vibration and the effects it has on the body. Anointment of spiritual energy.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't care much for these threads that attack religion or people's conceptions of God. It is a personal matter and many people need religion as a stepping stone to their next step. We do not have the right to interfere with the spiritual growth of another nor should we interfere with their chosen path.

Well said and agree. This forum has developed into a club mentality of control. Either join my club or be bashed as some religious nut. Hardly any thread that requires honest theological debate can be found and have noted that many brilliant people are driven away from any intelligent discussion from these less intelligent clubbers. Most of these clubbers are totally unaware of how stupid their concepts are to academia in ridiculing others. Most are star gatherers as though that is a sign of intelligence.
Thanks for your observation.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

The idea of some ancient, X billions of years old man, who sat at a work bench making planets, stars, suns and tossing them into the air insults people's intelligence and patronises them. The religious never want to discuss why their ancient old man designed therapsids, dinosaurs etc etc before he looked into the mirror and decided to make man - in his own image of course.

And you call this of which you posted intelligent discussion? Re read your entire post and tell me that the entire rant is not hate filled opinions of denial and no truth in a theological discussion whatsoever. Simply another clubber on ATS.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Seede

Are you referring to me as one of these "less intelligent clubbers" and "star gatherers"? Because I'm far from being stupid and I can't help that people star my posts. All I do is post my opinions, I could care less about my star count or whether people agree with me.

Sorry that you disagree with my opinion that religion has ruined the concept of God, but that's all it is, an opinion.

As for your comment on someone else's post about it not being about intelligent discussion, read your posts so far in this thread, do you consider them intelligent discussion? Because I don't, I see them as bashing others opinions, something you ironically seem to be against.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've not met many sincerely religious people who think God is the Big Man Upstairs in any real way. Most of us outgrew that idea at some point in grade school when we either realized that God was so much more than that childish visualization most people start with or we remained stunted in our spiritual growth and went on to become angry atheists who felt lied to for the rest of our lives.

God is outside our universe and reality, space and time.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I disagree. If God is outside of the universe, space and time, then he is not a personal God but one who made the universe then left it to its devices. If you believe God intervenes on our behalf then he must be a part of this universe in some way.

I have a question. Is God in the bible?

Jesus says that we are in him and he in us, if Jesus is God then how can we be in him and him in us if God is completely separate from the universe?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

If God is outside of the universe, space and time, then he is not a personal God but one who made the universe then left it to its devices. If you believe God intervenes on our behalf then he must be a part of this universe in some way.

There is no "He".

There is the universe, the energy that animates us, the tissues and neurons that allow us to think, the planet that somehow manages to deal with the curse of the plague that humans are......

"God" is in every part of all of that. (You know I have had this stance for some time.)

That "God" is NOT JUDGING ANYONE. That "God" doesn't give a rat's ass about who wants to say "my husband" or "my wife." That "God" is not saying, "Hmmmm...should I heal this crippled, blind, dead leper?"

No. That "God" never 'walked on water' - didn't 'rise from the dead' - is not the arbiter of whether or not people deserve to enjoy their afterlife or not.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I agree Buzzy! God is neither a he or she, I was only using the term to relate to what ketsuko believes God is.

God is beyond any gender label. God is like the golden ratio, he is the sum of the male/female but neither of them at the same time. If that makes sense. Probably not.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

God is beyond any gender label. God is like the golden ratio, he is the sum of the male/female but neither of them at the same time. If that makes sense.

It makes as perfect sense as I anything I can articulate......
like the Buddha said, when asked to define God:
the question is meaningless and impertinent. (Or something like that: it is impossible to describe or understand))

Probably not.

Won't make sense to most holy rollers, no. Beyond their comfort zone.

LALALALAlalalalal
lalalalalala

edit on 8/3/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I don't understand your need to attack religion or define for others how it helps them on their spiritual path. However someone wants to see God or worship IT isn't our business.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm "attacking" it because I see it as wrong and a suppressor of true spirituality. I don't see it as any different from someone who "attacks" (points out the flaws) of a certain political candidate.

I don't really feel that I "need" to do it, it's just something that I take an interest in. Not the attacking part, but spirituality and religion in general.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join