It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey tough guy!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Most probably your lack of self confidence and over-compensating attitude that you subconsciously exude is causing people to provoke you. If you plan to meet the boogeyman on every corner, you will find him often.

Relax, listen to music when you walk and you may fare better.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
a reply to: Ultralight

Okay well you just ran off the OP, he is done with ATS, he quit, so I hope you are happy, you won.

The OP quit ATS because someone made him feel bad?! Seriously? Wow Ultralight that is F'ing Ultraheavy….

I am Ultra pissed because someone spoke, slipped on a banana and now I can't offer a psychoanalysis.

Ho hum, where's the Beez, I need a laugh.
edit on 2-8-2015 by notmyrealname because: auto-correct was auto-incorrect

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

a reply to: Ultralight

Whatever helps you sleep at night, we all have influence. Whether you use that in a positive or a negative way, you do.
Just remember that a lot of people here are the misfits, and people at the end of their rope. We need to be good to each other. Do you really want to be someones final straw one day? I know I don't, that's what I try to remember on this site.

That statement is not fair. If someone spills coffee on you some morning and you get upset, should you be sad because he then ran in front of a bus?!

If someone is emotionally unstable and off themselves for a minor reason that nobody here knows, it is not anyone here's responsibility. If you are weak of mind or character, you will eventually die.

If you are strong of mind or character, you will eventually die. Stop trying to blame some third party for death or even worse, leaving ATS….

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I'm just a Neanderthal looking for a scrap
a reply to: threeeyesopen Oh, that's Napoleon Syndrome !

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Like I said, what ever helps you sleep at night.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

'Napoleonic Complex'. [1] It is characterized by overly-aggressive or domineering social behavior, and carries the implication that such behaviour is compensatory for the subject's stature. The term is also used more generally to describe people who are driven by a perceived handicap to overcompensate in other aspects of their lives.

People have a tendency to poke at people who walk around thinking they are tough guys as well. I think you may be slightly paranoid as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen
Its all about what you are emiting, everybody emits something or other. Maybe not purposely, sure the way you dress and walk gives physical signals, but we emit even passed deeds or hatred of someone or another.I like to defend myself, but love took over with me, now that emision repels many who would rather fall in to a dualistic perspective. A good actor, plays around with the vibe they emit by taking on different mind sets.Play with that idea, watch how you get different reactions. Be as water my friend.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

a reply to: notmyrealname

Like I said, what ever helps you sleep at night.

I thank you for your concern of my sleeping habits. I usually get plenty of sleep for the simple reason of being sleepy.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

There's a saying about karma. Not the fake "what goes around comes around" description of karma. But the real karma, which is basically "how your life is affected by the energy you give off".

In other words, maybe you're getting confrontations because you're actually looking for them. Maybe you're a little paranoid & are misinterpreting everyone's actions as being combative. Or maybe you walk around glaring & looking "mean", which makes people defensive around you. If I was out with my nieces or Mom & saw someone walking fast, glaring, and with balled up fists, I'd also get defensive.

Last but not least: most people are attracted to things that are similar to themselves. I'm not talking about flirting or anything like that, but similar personalities & lifestyles. So it's very possible that people who like to fight can see the fighter in you. There could also be a more obvious answer: your appearance. If you walk around with arm guards or Muay Thai hand wraps, for example, you're probably going to attract attention from "tough guys" or other fighters.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
just curious, what martial art do you study?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Look threeeyesopen,

I never took a martial arts class in my life, but I know my limitations, as a great character once advised. I Learned them by damn near killing a fellow with his own neck tie in school, many moons ago.

What that experience, and a few other "enriching and formative" moments in my life have taught me, is that violence has only one place in the life of an honourable man, that being the defence of the self, and ones neighbours, friends, family, and community as a whole. Defence of the ego however, is a pointless endeavour. When the knife is waved in your face, by all means take it, and do with it what you must. When the gun is pointed at your face, control the weapon, break your assailants wrist and fingers, and take that too.

But when words are pointed at you, or people look at you as if they have nothing but disdain for you, give thanks to whatever deity or force you most respect, that today is not a day in which you will have to kill a man. You see, when threatened with force, the response ingrained in me by raw experience, is to show my opponent that continuing their assault will result in death. If ever I meet someone who not only fails to understand this before assaulting me, but does not appear able to learn by experience, then that person will probably end up dead or paralysed.

But if I took a swing at every person who threatened my ego... I would be in jail, hundreds of people would be dead, who yet walk the world, and my soul would be a filthy, unrecognisable thing.

Know the difference between a threat to the self, and a threat to your ego, and simply ignore any but the mortal threats.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

excellent post. 100% agree.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Hear me out

Next time they try something

Just look at them in non angry fashion and proclaim loudly SEEK JESUS CHRIST MAN SEEK SALVATION

say this even if you don't believe in Jesus

These guys will completely change and leave you alone because they will assume you are a nutcase

I am serious, this works
edit on 3-8-2015 by Watcher012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Watcher012

Loooooll

True so true

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I think you are off topic and making this thread about me. It is not about me. Kindly redirect your attention to the topic.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You've just demonstrated more knowledge about martial arts in that post than most people who do it for a few years as a hobby could hope to.

Anybody who practices it to a high degree knows restraint isn't required, the fear of what you can do and the understanding that life is fragile and precious is enough to keep your ego in check and let things slide.

If a guy hasn't posed an imminent threat to your life no harm has been done, to walk around with that kind of anger is unhealthy and childish.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I'm sorry...if you think Ultra went about it too sternly...then ok fine...I may not agree but ok I am with you for a moment

but I think that several posters in this thread are trying to point something out that is pretty darn relevant

OP explains that people try to bully him or act tough around him...but then says this....

direct quote

Since I've moved here I've had so many guys try and fight me or otherwise intimidate me..but what they don't realize is that I'm just waiting for them to lay a finger on me.

This isn't the line or summary of a person who is exuding confidence in every move. This person said quite simply that he was waiting for someone to start...what other way can some take that except that he is praying for blood?

I took martial arts quite a long time. I did the usual Chicago Tae Kwan Do lessons as a child, then stopped, and then began a mixture set of mostly Okinawan Karate, and just a smidgen of weapons training. I believe (-snort-) that if tried and I absolutely had to defend myself that I could stave off an attack and maybe score a hit or two if I remained calm.

But you want the truth? Martial artists, when they reach high enough levels, aren't bothered by temptation and hope for a fight to ensue. People who study properly want to take the high road and avoid violence at all costs.

Now...as I said if you think Ultra was harsh about the approach...well..-shrug-

But the OP seemed to offer a reasonably clear message that a fight was hoped for...I think that was the issue

OP...come on back friendo...maybe your message was totally misconstrued...some of us saw in your words the hope for violence...

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

I pretty much walk with my head down, my headphones on and I don't bother anyone or even look most people in the face when I meet them on the street.

No I wasn't ogling anyone's girlfriend or wearing offensive shirts..I have heard a lot of talk at work about white people being targeted by the younger immigrants in the area.

Also a lot of it is the wannabe gangster types who are more or less just looking for someone to take advantage of.

As for the walking like a tough guy, well if I do it's not intentional, and like I said I'm not calling people out on the street and sh#t

Actually walking with your head down and your headphones on is contrary to the advice women get on how to stay safe in public. We are told by magazine articles full of advice from law enforcement to walk confidently, head up, alert to our surroundings. While the advice appears in articles geared to women it applies to men as well.

I lived on a really bad street and this advice served me well. There's a difference between quiet confidence and inwardly waiting for someone to start trouble with you. The latter is, oddly enough, a manifestation of fear and shows the mentality that you are used to being abused and expect no better for yourself.

I'm a small person and I've run the gamut of attitudes against my fellow humans. I've learned to be ready for anything but not have a complex about it. I keep a half smile on my face in public as opposed to "resting bitch face" even in bad neighborhoods. If people intend good they will say "good morning" to me if we happen to make eye contact. If they have bad intentions it freaks them out to see someone looking pleasant and confident in ugly surroundings and they leave me alone. I look like I feel I belong wherever I am and act as though I have a purpose and am pleased that I do. I know plenty of men of small build who act and do the same as I do and they get around just fine.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Well at 5'5" , I have noticed a lot of people treat shorter men with less respect in general. Now I am in no way trying to offend or poke fun, but I have seen it all my life. Even regular chill dudes who are not normally hostile I have witnessed be disrespectful to people shorter or smaller than them on occasion. I really have no explanation as to why this is. It may be some regressed genetic instinct as an effort to show superiority, or show off to others I don't know.

I am not much taller at 5'7", but it happens only occasionally to me. I tend to be a very outgoing and personable individual though and tend to strike up conversation with strangers.

In fact when I brought my friend who was recently laid off to come with me to donate blood so I can go see X-Men Friday, I got the whole bus talking randomly with each other. All I had to do is start with one lady talking about the process, someone else who was already being drained gets involved, the subject moved on to what movie we all going to see with our free ticket, and by the time I left the bus a couple people were exchanging contact info.

This is city is rather tame though and usually the only time random people try and step to strangers its because they are drunk or intoxicated of some kind. However, walking with head down and headphones on while appearing to be oblivious to ones surroundings was always perceived as a an easy score in my old neighborhood. And I lived in a regular community, not a high crime one.
edit on 5/31/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join