It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colombia CN235 crash kills 11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
An Airbus CN235 belonging to the a Colombian Air Force has crashed in a rural area near Codazzi, killing all 11 on board. The crew reported engine problems before the crash. Witnesses said the aircraft was struck by lightning.

If confirmed this would be a very rare event. Aircraft are normally very well protected against lightning strikes, and usually only suffer superficial damage after a strike.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The old phrase that air flight is the safest form of transport is rapidly decreasing.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Actually it's safer than ever. In 2014, even including MH17 which wasn't an accident, the accident rate for aircraft with 14 or more seats was under 5 per million departures. It's trending even lower this year.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
The old phrase that air flight is the safest form of transport is rapidly decreasing.

I think you mean if an accident happens, it turns real bad, unlike cars where you can be in an accident and have a much higher chance of survivng.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well I stand corrected but there has been a lot of crashes the last few days.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Those were all private aircraft. General and Business Aviation has always had a higher accident rate than commercial aircraft, especially General Aviation. Pilots get lax in keeping up with maintenance, or try to do more than their trained for, etc.
edit on 8/2/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: igor_ats

There have been three crashes on British soil alone the last few days. One of them was transporting the bin Laden family no less.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Well Zaphod58 . I will raise you with the speculation that the belew moon is sending people wappy.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

This was an Airbus only to the extent that Airbus bought out CASA. The CN235 was developed by CASA, a Spanish company, and IPTN, an Indonesian firm. It is a twin engine C-130 wannabe. 7 of them have now crashed, killing 98 people.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Yeah, I know. But technically it's now an Airbus aircraft. It's been a good aircraft to date.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Check your mail:-)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Was this aircraft bought and immediately mothballed to Arizona?

Edit: it was a part of fleecing in America... it must be true! Brian Williams covered it.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

No, it is not decreasing in the least!

For every plane that falls out of the sky in the whole world over the course of a year, a few thousand people in a fair sized nation, just one country, lose their lives in car crashes, cycling accidents, motorbike wrecks, and crossing the street on foot!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That's exactly why I don't drive, motorcycle or cycle on public roads.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Fair enough...

What I am saying though, is that given that air travel is safer than all of those options previously mentioned in my post above, the assertion that air travel is somehow becoming less safe is simply not accurate, and is certainly erroneous when you consider the risks posed by other, more mundane modes of transport.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Was this aircraft bought and immediately mothballed to Arizona?

Edit: it was a part of fleecing in America... it must be true! Brian Williams covered it.

Doesn't the US Coast Guard fly these things?

If the average person went through the same processes as does an airline pilot there would be very few people driving. Imagine taking your driver's test two times a year and a physical two times a year. If any of these are failed...you lose your livelihood. Then each car or truck you drive you must pass a written, oral and practical test to demonstrate your competence. Then you must fly with another Captain (IOE) until he feels you are competent. As a regional pilot I flew around 1000 hours with 200 hours in the reserves annually.

General aviation is much less restrictive. You must take a bi-annual flight review and a flight physical either 1,3 years or every six months depending on your license. The average private pilot flies around 40-50 hours annually here in the US and less in other countries.

I have been retired for 25 years but I feel these numbers still reflect the US requirements.

edit on 4-8-2015 by buddah6 because: lobotomized through superior pain meds.

edit on 4-8-2015 by buddah6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Those were C-27J's built by Alenia. Very similar but not the same as the CN-235.

Those were eventually taken out of mothball and given to the Coast Guard, US forest Service and SOCOM.

join