It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Conservatism a Mental Illness?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I think it's all good and well to joke about any ideology being nuts.

But when you seriously start talking about classifying an ideology as insane, then you're crossing a line into some very dangerous territory.

No-one would answer my question, "What type of government locks up people who have a different ideology?"

Because the answer is scary.

As we continue to become more extreme, more divisive in our ideologies, this is a real thing that could even happen in the US.

Be careful for what you wish for, because you might get it.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: KellyPrettyBear

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: MystikMushroom

What kind of government is it that locks up people in insane asylums because they don't believe in that type of government?

I forget.

(it must be my meds)

And you're free to believe anything you want -- as long as your not a violent threat to yourself or others. No one is going to lock you up in America because you have dissenting political beliefs.

Now, if those political beliefs lead to radical action -- say a violent action, you then have placed yourself on the radar of the authorities.

I really like this quote and I think I ought to use it more often:

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Isaac Asimov

Salvor Hardin...one of my favorite quotes.

Unfortunately there are a lot of angry
incompetent people out there.

Kev

And just think...If the politicians in DC could have used their brains and mouths, things like the Civil War could have been avoided. All the deaths of all those Americans on both sides could have been prevented if cooler heads had prevailed and logic, reason, and intellect ruled the day.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I mentioned something similar in another thread.

People forget that if you set the precedent that some political views are, crazy, and the government can declare them a magnet for loonies, you have sealed your own demise.

Why?

Cause once you give those people the power to brand a political view a magnet for the crazies, then you set yourself up for being called crazy based your own views if/when a guy gets in power who does not agree with you.

My solution is to not give the Government that much power.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75

I mentioned something similar in another thread.

People forget that if you set the precedent that some political views are, crazy, and the government can declare them a magnet for loonies, you have sealed your own demise.

Why?

Cause once you give those people the power to brand a political view a magnet for the crazies, then you set yourself up for being called crazy based your own views if/when a guy gets in power who does not agree with you.

My solution is to not give the Government that much power.

You spoke some serious truth.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

You're purposefully continuing to obfuscate the issue by saying this is about the ideology being nuts, when that is not the case.

No-one would answer my question, "What type of government locks up people who have a different ideology?"

No one is answering it because it's irrelevant. You're trying to take the conversation to an extreme because you do not wish to actually address the issue at hand.

The fact is that while both "sides" have nutbags, the extreme right is more vocal and has become the norm within the party and dogma. I provided examples earlier.

Do you dispute that in any way, or do you wish to beat-around the issue by talking about locking-up people because of their belief?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

edit on 3-8-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I think you mistake more vocal with more reported on.
In so far as the "nutters" being the norm?
really?
That is at best a subjective view.
The very thing that defines what or what is not a nuts within a community, is defined by the communities prevailing view of the topics and how strongly they view them as a whole.
What you have just done is act adopt the colonial viewpoint of the "other".
I.E. "Someone needs to go in there and tame those savages, because normally they are crazy."

In so far as why don't we hear as many reports on crazy left wing groups? Well lets think about that a second.

In the 60's when America was awash with left wing extremist groups in the news. The news reporters were adults, in their 40's-70's that means they were raised in the 30's 40's.
In the 30's and 40's America was a different place. Religion and Christianity was not condemned, Husbands and Wives were normal, Homosexuality was not only abnormal but was listed as an insanity. Not saying the Pledge in School would have been next to treason.
So guess which group got to be the loonies in the news?

Now we sit in 2015....
in 2015 our news reporters are 40's-70's that means they were raised in the 50's 60's 70's.
in Short the kids who were part of that crazy counter culture of the 60's now gets to be newsman...
Guess which group gets to be called crazy now in the news?

Really its not hard to figure out, that the "other" will be called crazy and have their idiots given the spotlight, when the opposing view has "the mic."

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

You mean like North Carolina Pastor Charles Worley who preached from his pulpit that gays should be put behind an electrified fence so they would "die out since they can't reproduce"?

That kind of thing?

edit on 14Mon, 03 Aug 2015 14:46:22 -050015p022015866 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Liberal rants on idiot liberals.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SunnyDee

There are plenty dumb liberals. I can't stand Green Peace and PETA people. I respect their right to say whatever they want, but I also have the right to think they're morons as well.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

My point has been received, excellent.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think this about sums up this thread:

I love how they're so casual about a conversation that would land any of us right into the outrage fire. Oh, and I love how Olby brings up the "nuts" term, too.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: SunnyDee

My point has been received, excellent.

Oh yeah, there are TON of liberal people I can't stand. I'll turn off Rachael Maddow if she's on TV. I don't care what she's saying, even if it there's a grain of truth -- she annoys me.

LOL

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
LOL So in short it is a "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy?"

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I guess haters are gonna hate, and if they get the chance, lock up anyone who doesn't believe the same way as they do.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think this about sums up this thread:

I love how they're so casual about a conversation that would land any of us right into the outrage fire. Oh, and I love how Olby brings up the "nuts" term, too.

^^^^^^ this.

The ultra-intelligentsia speaks from the Ivory Tower !!

Who's crazy now?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75

In so far as the "nutters" being the norm?
really?
That is at best a subjective view.

I don't think so. I think that's a fair statement.

Look at the websites, tv channels and radio outlets that these people get their information from. Most of the content provided takes news stories and other events out of context, or completely lies, so that it will appeal and outrage certain groups of people.

Ever read Breibart or WND? It's all propaganda and they are taken seriously as a valuable source of info for the Right.

True conservative leaders do not have a place in the party and have distanced themselves, opting for independent or libertarian parties, from the Right wing because they have become a parody in and of themselves.

Another hint at how far the Right wing has lost it can be found in the presidential field. Who is leading the polls for president on the GOP side?

Donald Trump.

Need I say more? An asshat reality show guy who can't make a speech without putting his foot in his mouth is the #1 pick for a party that claims to uphold conservative family values.

Like I said earlier, each side of the debate have their nutbags, but it is only the Republicans that have come to be defined and lead by the nutbags.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I guess haters are gonna hate, and if they get the chance, lock up anyone who doesn't believe the same way as they do.

Always playing the emotional victim card, I see.

No one has even suggested any such thing. We're talking politics and such. If you have to take the discussion to such an extreme and cannot debate the topic, it means that you had no leg to stand on to begin with.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Always playing the emotional victim card, I see.

No one has even suggested any such thing. We're talking politics and such. If you have to take the discussion to such an extreme and cannot debate the topic, it means that you had no leg to stand on to begin with.

So an aspect of an ideology is considered crazy, insane.

What, pray tell, does a concerned, caring society do with those who "suffer under the onus" of mental illness?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Punisher75

I don't think so. I think that's a fair statement.

Look at the websites, tv channels and radio outlets that these people get their information from. Most of the content provided takes news stories and other events out of context, or completely lies, so that it will appeal and outrage certain groups of people.

Ever read Breibart or WND? It's all propaganda and they are taken seriously as a valuable source of info for the Right.

True conservative leaders do not have a place in the party and have distanced themselves, opting for independent or libertarian parties, from the Right wing because they have become a parody in and of themselves.

Another hint at how far the Right wing has lost it can be found in the presidential field. Who is leading the polls for president on the GOP side?

Donald Trump.

Need I say more? An asshat reality show guy who can't make a speech without putting his foot in his mouth is the #1 pick for a party that claims to uphold conservative family values.

Like I said earlier, each side of the debate have their nutbags, but it is only the Republicans that have come to be defined and lead by the nutbags.

Okay, so MSNBC is unbiased?
Media Matters and their conglomerate is not biased?
YT is not Biased?

I will see your Donald Trump and raise you one Elizabeth "I am an American Indian" Warren.

The main reason you see 90% of the support for trump is because he is shoved in the face of so many people on T.V.

I think you way over estimate the amount of people who have any clue about policies at all. We live in a culture that loves faces on TV more than any real interest in their political views. In my opinion, those who are supporting Trump are not Crazy they are simply fooled.

I would remind you that Donald Trump, "Crazy as he is" has given more money to Democrats over the years than he has Republicans.

So you tell me is Ol' Don Crazy because he is a Republican or because he gives more Money to the Democrat Party?

edit on 3-8-2015 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join