It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Conservatism a Mental Illness?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Yes, this is a direct response to the other nonsense thread to show how we can tweak and twist anything as we wish...(cue doom music): Is conservatism a mental illness?

If one qualifies it as a "belief system" implemented by others you ascribe to; YES it could be interpreted as a mental illness. Why would you believe in something that was ordained as truth by some other physical being and you swallowed their dogma hook line and sinker? Can you not think for yourself?
edit on 12-8-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Ask the professors in academia what their political inclinations are and you might begin to see why they might think so.

Is it surprising that it seems that the majority of people who are educated tend to be liberal? Note I said "majority" not all.

That is the most unintelligent quote I have ever read.

Do you think that the Engineers who design most of everything that functions or exists, are any less competent than scientists?

Who designs the the cars you drive? Who designs the oil rigs that drill the oil that puts gas in your tank?

Do you honestly think everyone who is well educated is predominately liberal? You're in outer space!

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Is it surprising that it seems that the majority of people who are educated tend to be liberal? Note I said "majority" not all.

Educated "in what" is the question.

And maybe the problem.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The Correct Question should be ...Is Normalcy a Mental Illness ? Answer No .

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Most ISMs are mental illnesses

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheChrome

Ask the professors in academia what their political inclinations are and you might begin to see why they might think so.

Do you think that the Engineers who design most of everything that functions or exists, are any less competent than scientists?

Who designs the the cars you drive? Who designs the oil rigs that drill the oil that puts gas in your tank?

Do you honestly think everyone who is well educated is predominately liberal? You're in outer space!

You obviously didn't understand what I said but jumped to a conclusion about what you *think* i said.

I said "it seems." And in academia, it *does* seem as such, and academia educates these engineers. I also said *the majority* and I specifically said that does NOT include all (hence not everyone).

So where do you come off asking if I think it applies to EVERYONE as if that is what I had said?

Reading comprehension is your friend, friend.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You obviously didn't understand what I said but jumped to a conclusion about what you *think* i said.

I said "it seems." And in academia, it *does* seem as such, and academia educates these engineers. I also said *the majority* and I specifically said that does NOT include all (hence not everyone).

I still disagree, it does not "Seem" to me. I learned more in two weeks on the job than all the education supposedly received by "educators".

It would "seem" to me that Professors generally are those who are unable to function in the real world, and would get fired because of their derelict. That is my opinion.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: superluminal11

Most ISMs are mental illnesses

Or those diagnosing the illness invent or harbor the idea of a mental disability.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TheChrome

Do you honestly think everyone who is well educated is predominately liberal?

Yeah, I do.

I should clarify my own statement a bit more, as it was fairly vague and broad-sweeping: I meant that the majority of those in academia and those with higher education seem to tend to be liberal.

More than half of those with postgraduate experience (54%) have either consistently liberal political values (31%) or mostly liberal values (23%), based on an analysis of their opinions about the role and performance of government, social issues, the environment and other topics. Fewer than half as many postgrads – roughly 12% of the public in 2015– have either consistently conservative (10%) or mostly conservative (14%) values. About one-in-five (22%) express a mix of liberal and conservative opinions.

Among adults who have completed college but have not attended graduate school (approximately 16% of the public), 44% have consistently or mostly liberal political values, while 29% have at least mostly conservative values; 27% have mixed ideological views.

By contrast, among the majority of adults who do not have a college degree (72% of the public in 2015), far fewer express liberal opinions.

Pew Study

This should be a thread in itself.
edit on 11-6-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
bump

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Mental illness? I wouldn't call it it that. But I have noticed most hard right conservatives are dumb as all hell, with the apparent mental and emotional maturity of 8 year olds. I also think they are complete cowards, because they live their lives in fear, and base their decisions on a reaction to fear. The hide their cowardice behind walls of chest beating bravado and aggression towards the vulnerable and attempts to change standing order. But it doesn't change the fact they are still scared little boys and girls lashing out at the big bad scary world that is moving on without them. They fear their own irrelevance.

Brave people aren't afraid of new developments. They roll with it. It's because they are confident that they are strong enough and smart enough to adapt to changes and whatever challenges they might face. Conservatives just aren't very brave people. And they do tend to revere and support ideals and people who are pretty psychopathic in nature.

I wouldn't exactly call the liberals brave, and they panic over stupid # they know little about like guns. But at a fundamental level, I wouldn't call them cowards. Delusional, yes. Naive as all hell about human nature, yes. Ignorant of how things work at the macro level, yes. But cowards, no. This is because they aren't afraid to experiment or try new things and ideas, no matter how controversial, strange, or unpopular. They aren't afraid of taking a new look at old problems, of self examination. Conservatives loathe that crap, apparently.

One way to look at it: Liberals are great on ideas, but they suck at action or realistically implementing anything. The conservatives, by contrast, tend to be better at implementing things successfully, but their ideas suck and are as stale and dead as the air in King Tut's Tomb was. Or, more bluntly, liberals are lots of thought but no action behind it or resulting from it, the conservatives are all action with no thought behind it, and no thought to the results.

posted on Oct, 29 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Not everyone with a higher education is liberal, bust most are.

Pew

Top 10 States with highest percent of college graduates are all states that voted for Hilary Clinton

Ironically, of the 10 least educated educated states, all but Nevada are solid red states who voted for Trump

So there is correlation between education levels and political leaning. There are conservatives with college degrees and advanced degrees. Roughly about 1/4 to 1/3 of people polled who had college education also held conservative beliefs. That's a fair sized number, but still well outnumbered by people who lean politically left, or at least politically moderate.

Which, by modern day conservative beliefs, moderates are apparently evil liberals, too.

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join