It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Conservatism a Mental Illness?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yes, this is a direct response to the other nonsense thread to show how we can tweak and twist anything as we wish...(cue doom music): Is conservatism a mental illness?

I mean, hey, they *do* buck what seems to be the will of the majority of people. And when things don't go they way they think, even when the majority of people agree with it, they pitch fits and try to reverse the course of popular opinion. Sounds Stubborn and adamant, failing to accept reality and living in the past... :/

Pathologizing Conservatism

At the recent conference in Chicago of the Association of Politics and Life Sciences, a panel on "Biobehaviorial Approaches to Politics" addressed the important question: What is wrong with people who disagree with the mainstream of American academic social scientists?

According to Professor Altemeyer, right-wing authoritarians are cognitively rigid, aggressive, and intolerant. They are characterized by steadfast conformity to group norms, submission to higher status individuals, and aggression toward out-groups and unconventional group members. On the RWA Scale, subjects are asked to agree or disagree with statements like: "Some of the worst people in our country nowadays are those who do not respect our flag, our leaders and the normal way things are supposed to be done" and "There is absolutely nothing wrong with nudist camps." Guess which one RWAs tend to agree with?

Meyer-Emerick notes that high RWAs perceive the world as a significantly more dangerous place than those who score low. High RWAs are more submissive to government authority and indifferent to human rights. They also tend to be more hostile and more highly punitive toward criminals, and more racially and ethnically prejudiced—and religious!—to boot. In the United States, guess what? Republicans cluster at the high end of the RWA Scale whereas Democrats range across the scale.

Another: Conservatism As A Mental Disorder - And A Threat

In this diary, I argue that conservative thinking is not merely a frustrating difference of opinion, or just a normally "different view," it is a mental disorder. A real dysfunction, even a psychosis, and it is the most serious threat facing humanity. Obviously, I'm going a bit beyond "Rush Limbaugh is a jerk," here. And I'm actually serious. Come on in, and see if I don't convince you...

An article in Psychology Today from 2012:

Republican pols have recently exhibited 10 telltale signs of mental illness

Signs of psychopathology can also be seen among their political bedfellows, conservative politicians, especially when you consider a wide range of illness indicators.

Pope Francis appears to recognize (link is external) that “it is a serious illness, this of ideological [conservative] Christians. It is an illness, but it is not new, eh?”

And what about another: Do Republicans Suffer From Mental Illness? 12 Points To Conside

“The Republican Party is not a political party – it’s a mental condition. And I mean that seriously because if you are for crushing the poor, unprovoked wars, there is no climate change, immigrants. It’s like ‘who are we’?”

~Actor and comedian Richard Belzer

Antisocial Behavior – See Republicans’ hatred of women, gays and minorities.

Avoidance – Here’s a personal favorite: Michele Bachmann fleeing a CNN reporter after being caught in a web of lies.

Confusion – Check out this list of...
More at links.

Two can play that game.

And Google is my friend, 'cause I could go for so long it might turn into a novel...

PS: It's all Obama's fault anyway.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Conservatism is a political philosophy.

Let's not feed the trolls shall we.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Is being on the fence a mental illness?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
Is being on the fence a mental illness?

Yes, because no one would purposefully crush his nuts if he weren't mentally ill.

link   
a reply to: Liquesence

OF course not YOU ACTUALLY have to be in the MILITARY and have PTSD for THAT.

link   

The folks writing the paper are in the establishment, which makes them conservatives, who abuse language to the maximum.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm not sure what logic can string together a political philosophy to a mental illness. In other words it's nonsense.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I want to add some fuel to this fire....

www.sciencedaily.com...

A team of political scientists and neuroscientists has shown that liberals and conservatives use different parts of the brain when they make risky decisions, and these regions can be used to predict which political party a person prefers. The new study suggests that while genetics or parental influence may play a significant role, being a Republican or Democrat changes how the brain functions.

Democrats showed significantly greater activity in the left insula, a region associated with social and self-awareness. Meanwhile Republicans showed significantly greater activity in the right amygdala, a region involved in the body's fight-or-flight system. These results suggest that liberals and conservatives engage different cognitive processes when they think about risk.

Conservatives are afraid all the time and react without thought.

and

Psychologist Jonathan Haidt studies the five moral values that form the basis of our political choices, whether we're left, right or center. In this eye-opening talk, he pinpoints the moral values that liberals and conservatives tend to honor most.

edit on 2-8-2015 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I've seen those things mentioned before. Also, apparently conservatives use older and more primitive parts of the brain compared to liberals.

Thanks for adding those quotations to the discussion.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
No. Not possible.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Ask the professors in academia what their political inclinations are and you might begin to see why they might think so.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Yes all ism's are.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't know if it's a mental illness or not but I have observed that conservatives have a tendency to listen to the radio and hear someone like Rush and magically transform the radio program into what they see as original thought. Never even thinking to give Rush credit. They thought they came up with the ideas on their own. curious....

Listen to Rush then check out the threads on ATS...itso, itso....
edit on 2-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

If it is a mental illness, then call me crazy!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

If it is a mental illness, then call me crazy!

And if liberalism is an illness, call me crazy too.

Or cured? 'Cause I was conservative for a while.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Liberals and conservatives are like salt and pepper.
To much of one ruins your steak, but the right balance makes it perfect.
To bad both sides are to thick headed to understand that.
edit on 2-8-2015 by Bluntone22 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

If you're comfortable in your ideology, does it matter what someone else calls you?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The correct way to make the determination is to look closely at the governing establishments of all big cities in the United States.

The success rates tell the answers.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Why not. Let's just make everything a disease so we can grasp that what's left of the meaning isn't right.

Different position same suspicion.

When did a mental illness quit being about the few extremes and become about the many preferences?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Ask the professors in academia what their political inclinations are and you might begin to see why they might think so.

Is it surprising that it seems that the majority of people who are educated tend to be liberal? Note I said "majority" not all.

BUT, maybe this means that the majority view of reality is nuts off the rocker, and those who are caught in the cracks are the sane ones?

Society is nuts period. Socially, well...crazy people ted to cling to that which is dying when it's not good for them or everything else

<<   2  3  4 >>

join