It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This dome in the Pacific houses tons of radioactive waste — and it’s leaking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I never even heard of this until today..

Sad testament to all the nuclear waste left over from years and years of nuclear testing..

Link to video..www.theguardian.com...

In total, 67 nuclear and atmospheric bombs were detonated on Enewetak and Bikini between 1946 and 1958 – an explosive yield equivalent to 1.6 Hiroshima bombs detonated every day over the course of 12 years.

Sometimes I just shake my head and wonder to myself, "What were they thinking"?

In the end, US servicemen simply scraped off the islands’ contaminated topsoil and mixed it with radioactive debris. The resulting radioactive slurry was then dumped in an unlined 350-foot crater on Runit Island’s northern tip, and sealed under 358 concrete panels. But the dome was never meant to last. According to the World Health Organization, the $218m plan was designed as temporary fix: a way to store contaminated material until a permanent decontamination plan was devised.

This next part sounds about right..Pfffft! (bold is mine)

Today, the US government insists that it has honoured all its obligations, and that the jurisdiction for the dome and its toxic contents lies with the Marshall Islands. The Marshallese, meanwhile, say that a country with a population of 53,000 people and a GDP of $190m – most of it from US aid programs – is simply incapable of dealing with the potential radioactive catastrophe left behind by the Americans. “It’s clear as day that the local government will neither have the expertise or funds to fix the problem if it needs a particular fix,” said Riyad Mucadam, climate adviser to the office of the Marshallese president.

But we have a Solution folks, yes we do by god!!

“Just close it off,” said Ading, who has called for armed guards to be stationed on the site – or at the very least the construction of a fence. “If they |the US government] can spend billions of dollars on wars like Iraq, I’m sure they can spend $10,000 for a fence. It’s a small island. Make it permanent for people not to visit Runit Dome and the surrounding area, ever.” Locals say they know there is “poison” on the island – there is no Marshallese word for contamination – but say that Runit offers one of the few sources of income on the impoverished atol. The US has yet to fully compensate the dri-Enewetak for the irreversible damage to their homeland, a total amounting to roughly $244m as appraised by the Nuclear Claims Tribunal, which was established by the US Congress in 1988 to adjudicate claims for compensation for health effects from the testing.

Even I am disgusted with U.S.(us)
www.rawstory.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: baddmove

Probably something like, "how can we make better nuclear weapons."

Just the US? Why?
www.theguardian.com...
www.themoscowtimes.com...

edit on 8/2/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Just the US? Why?
www.theguardian.com...

Everything is our fault.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Just the US? Why?
www.theguardian.com...

Yea, that's not looking so good either..Thanks.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Wherever that stuff is stored in the world, then it would ultimately be in a similar state by now, I'm sure.

Where does Russia, China, India and Pakistan store their nuclear waste material? The same fears should also be considered for those storage areas.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
So, sew... What does that teach Us? This means be forewarned of some "calamity" that has to do with nuclear waste in those areas. Is there any reports of nuclear waste related issues in those areas? Then "They" can work a program to try and separate more of the $$ We have.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

The were handing it down to us. They knew that dome wasn't going to last forever, but by the time it begins to decay they told us, scientists will have figured out what to do with all the contamination.

It was the same excuse they had for all the spent fuel from reactors, too. Just store it in fuel pools in the buildings and we'll work it out before it becomes a problem.

Fukushima's spent fuel was still in the fuel pools when the buildings blew up. Now they are stuck trying to figure out how to remove it from the wreckage and store it somewhere else 'safer', for longer.
edit on 2-8-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The were handing it down to us. They knew that dome wasn't going to last forever, but by the time it begins to decay they told us, scientists will have figured out what to do with all the contamination.

It was the same excuse they had for all the spent fuel from reactors, too. Just store it in fuel pools in the buildings and we'll work it out before it becomes a problem.

Fukushima's spent fuel was still in the fuel pools when the buildings blew up. Now they are stuck trying to figure out how to remove it from the wreckage and store it somewhere else 'safer', for longer.

Don't let the cheeky little matter of climate change insertion slip by..remember the 97% consensus. Meh! forget about me telling you to remember, to be CNN is to make you not forget,

Or, maybe this,
Another aspect altogether,

All things being equal, you could say that the Devil can quote scripture to suit himself.
Anyway, God only knows what damage those weapons testings did to the planet, never mind the 97% persistence of AGW, REPEAT AGW forced climate change.. being burned in our heads, it's still AGW no matter about all the other acronyms.
Then, what about all the past nuclear testing, especially if scientists today are talking about any nuclear conflict having serious affect on 'climate change'..all those dead people up in the atmosphere as little balls of soot...and who knows, maybe already?
But you're right , it's a lot to think about.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Geez , I Hope Godzilla is Not Buried Near By ......Japan is in enough Trouble Already.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

####ing plutonium? Are you kidding me? Looks like I'm gonna be in the market
for some rose colored glasses.

edit on Rpm80215v20201500000012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: baddmove

They were thinking we would have a solution a few decades in the future. They were wrong. It's pretty much the same thinking as today though we actually do have a viable solution right now given a century of development which is using a space elevator to carry it off the planet and into space.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
And we wonder why cancer is so rampant.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   

This dome is nothing compared to what is going on at Fukushima and the coverup in western news overall
edit on 3-8-2015 by Uma511 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Abhorrent as nuclear weapons are, nuclear fusion and fission play are very very important part of the humna race. Im sure there have been plenty of things that benefit mankind to come out of nuclear weapons. Not only that, but ANY civilisation that is developping technologically will at some point discover fission and fusion and us that to create weapons. I see it as part of "growing up" and i thank the flying spaghetti monster that we only used them twice

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The rat race is in full swing. What man made or natural catastrophe will wipe us out by the end of the decade? Place your bets.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
How about Handford, do you guys know what's there!?1 we sure do, it's in our backyard. I'm surprised the eastern part of Washington doesn't glow!

"The timeline for officials to clean up the biggest, most toxic nuclear waste site in the Western hemisphere is shrinking.

The race to clean up 56 million gallons of radioactive liquid waste sitting at the Hanford site, 230 miles east of Portland, becomes more urgent each year.

With an estimated price tag of $120 billion, and a theoretical deadline of 2047, cleanup efforts are continually stalled by obstacles including time, money, the danger of the task at hand, and the sheer vastness of the site.

Attempts to store liquid and solid radioactive waste from the 586 square-mile site – which supplied the plutonium for the bomb that ended WWII — have been failing for decades."

koin.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You should do a thread on it Hidinout.

I live in eastern Washington also and would love to know more..

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Since the dawn of mankind our species has learned over and over (and over) again that in a struggle between water and man water will always win. Always. Mankind is not capable of building a structure which can win the battle against water. Period, it just won't happen. Water is the ultimate victor. So, why is this relevant?

Physicists have long known producing fissionable material would result in waste byproducts which contained radioactive isotopes. There is no reasonable / practical way to destroy these 'lower' level radioactive byproducts. This creates a dilemma, a paradox if you will. Therefore, the only (known) solution is containment.

Equally, both scientists and historians alike have known for centuries the destructive capabilities of water. The construction of a vessel or vault which can resist the destructive forces of water indefinitely has yet to be devised by mankind. In order to contain some bad 'ju-ju', which stays bad 'ju-ju' for thousands of years, perhaps mankind might be best suited by first figuring out how to isolate these things (forever) from water before he continues manufacturing them.

"DOH!!" (forehead smack)...right? Thank you, Captain Obvious...right? (I'll save you the trouble).

So what's the solution you ask?

Well, I don't know for certain, but there's certainly more than a bit of irony (and perhaps something to be gained) from the fact...one of the most effective ways known by modern science to contain radioactive waste is to actually place it in water.

...and despite what the climate change alarmists may have you thinking, water is something planet Earth has quite a bit of.

Food for thought.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Okay, watched the video, is it just me, or does the dome look a lot like the saucer section of the Enterprise D from Generations after it crashed on Veridian III, I always wondered what happened to that.

Matadoor

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
As long as nationalism exists, it will be very difficult to solve world issues. To me, it is simply time for each race to be united(dividing on race is necessarily due to the birthrate issue), ruled by a democratic collective, represented by each country within that race, while each of those countries can still retain their name as a culture identifier.

Nationalism is all about the name, or should I say, the perception of it. But a perception can easily be changed. See, when you say Asian-Vietnamese, Asian-Chinese, that's a BIG difference as to just Vietnamese or Chinese. Uniting Asians under one flag, one universal combination language(with sub-languages if each country wants to keep it) gives that sense of togetherness, and hey, a very good way to erase all past animosities as well.

Likewise, when you keep saying Americans or Chinese, it automatically creates that sense of separation. If you simply call yourselves Earthers or even Homo Sapiens, then you won't have that problem. However, this is difficult to resolve because you still have the birthrate issue.

(don't read it so fast and try to visualize what I say.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join