It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitchbot was a successful, concluded experiment, all thanks to the vandals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
All this Hitchbot talk on the news had me thinking today. I was wondering what the exact purpose of the experiment was. According to a story on CNN this was the purpose of the experiment.

www.cnn.com...

The gender-neutral robot was conceived by university researchers David Harris Smith and Frauke Zeller, who view its quest as part performance art, part social experiment.

Okay, so its an experiment.

As they see it, humans in popular science fiction are always wondering whether they can trust robots. Instead, they'd like to turn the question around:
Can robots trust human beings?

Short answer, I would say no, at least not in the low income areas of Americas inner city's.

So for everyone out there shaming these vandals, just understand they were unknowingly subjected to a social experiment and interacted with the experiment accordingly.

I mean if I was going to do a social experiment where I set a diamond ring on the ground with a sign saying do not steal and someone stole it do I get mad at the person that stole it. No that would be crazy, just as the outrage of hitcher-bot being destroyed.

Experiment concluded, thank you Philly, you actually saved people gas by ending this ridiculous experiment studying the obvious effects of human nature.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

They only destroyed him because they are upset at their position in society , and how cops treat them and white privilege,

That robot was the embodiment of all of that.........

What did you think would happen?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Why do we wonder whether or not we can trust robots?

Simple, we know who made them, and we know we can't trust ourselves.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
"Saved people gas"? Really? I'm pretty sure nobody went anywhere they weren't already planning on going just because they happened upon Hitchbot. I would have loved the opportunity to give it a lift, but thanks to some asshats in Philly, it never even made it close to my part of the country.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Well every time someone slowed down and stopped and then idled, accelerated back to highway speed that used more gas then usual, add to that the amount of times that happened I would say that would be a cosiderable amount of gas and pollution.

It might seem like a minute amount, but every drop does count.

Also that wasn't really the point I was trying to convey, just a side thought. My point was that the experiment was a success!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: bananashooter

They only destroyed him because they are upset at their position in society , and how cops treat them and white privilege,

That robot was the embodiment of all of that.........

What did you think would happen?

I really hope this comment was supposed to be a joke, It was right?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

part performance art, part social experiment.

ie something stupid to post on the internet,
i'm suprised tht robot didnt have a beard and lensless glasses
edit on 2-8-2015 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

It did run entirely off Pabst blue ribbon and 3d prints a pair of ear gauges for anyone that gives it a ride.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This is why we can't have nice things. I'm actually a bit surprised that it lasted as long as it did here and that's pretty sad.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
the best part of the story.

the bot traveled all the way across canada, and most of europe.

once s/he got here, s/he got destroyed.

why?

'MERICA!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm sorry...but this story is hilarious. It really is.

As the people who destroyed it walked off, you could over hear one of them saying, "Water? You mean like from a toilet???"

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormson
the best part of the story.

the bot traveled all the way across canada, and most of europe.

once s/he got here, s/he got destroyed.

why?

'MERICA!

Just another example of how far we have fallen. I used to think that this downward spiral was just a phase, people looking for their 15 minutes of fame, some tag line to go with their selfie or a spot on Facebook.

I am not so sure anymore. America is starting to look like a Babylonian nightmare.

new topics

top topics

join