It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just loaded free upgrade to windows 10 this morning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
spent last five hours trying to get computer to boot up had to reinstall windows 8.1 from boot dvd i made 2 weeks ago

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Okay? you do know your not on twitter right? Because you are on ATS.

Also we are bashing Windows 10 here www.abovetopsecret.com... If you would like to join in.
edit on 2-8-2015 by bananashooter because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: proteus33
spent last five hours trying to get computer to boot up had to reinstall windows 8.1 from boot dvd i made 2 weeks ago

good thing you have a boot DVD..

I use USB drives for that.. I remember back in the windows 98 days I had floppy disks for bootable and a CD with the information on it after format..

Lolz.

link   
That sucks man.

Mine took a little over an hour last night and I had ZERO issues. It was kinda weird actually, because its become expected with upgrading Windows.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

I've never had no issues on an upgrade. That sounds impossible.
Clean install sure if you have every duck in a perfect row before hand, but
Nice.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33 My housemate put windows 10 on my laptop as he was putting in a new HD, I like it. And the only things that eventually won't be free are small, like Solitaire.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

I've never had no issues on an upgrade. That sounds impossible.
Clean install sure if you have every duck in a perfect row before hand, but
Nice.

Me either, I was kinda floored by it. I have ALWAYS had driver issues on upgrades.

It was smooth as silk brother. Even down to personal settings were all as I had left them.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

I have installed Win10 on several PC's now.

Mostly, the process went smoothly. I did notice however, interminable waits while updates were installed after getting the desktop.

The updates seemed to give a screen with no desktop or background, just a black screen with a mouse cursor. The hard drive flickered occasionally but the PC's didn't respond to any key combinations.

I left one PC just doing its stuff and it eventually got past the update.

With the other PC's I got impatient and cycled the power (a few times) until it got past the issue. I suspect that it was in a non-Microsoft driver as I have found that removing non-Microsoft services and drivers does not cause the update issue.

Now all seems well on all PC's.

edit on 2/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Ah the sweet anticipation of upgrading your operating system...I feel for you as I have issues with windows 8 after it upgraded for free to windows 8.1 Tech support was phenomenal and they worked on my computer remotely. Finally they fixed it and when it patched again it continued to crash...ended up just reinstalling windows seven. With that said I'm still ridiculously excited to download windows 10. I'm on the wait list for my computer and I'm assuming that when the appropriate updates are made my computer will update due to my computer set up...or I hope that's the case.

I'm aware that you can just update it but I'm sure folks are going to wait for the first SP in mid August. I'm looking forward to link it with my phone and my xbox one. I know the paranoia that follows this operating system but I'm not concerned as their will be 3rd party work abounds to the concerns if needed.

Patients my friend as this is the road windows has chosen and unless you want to go to Linux or a mac you will assimilate...welcome to the collective

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
mine is still downloading int he background and is not yet ready for installation.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I used to be the kind of person who always goes for latest and newest

What a fool I was

This is not a way to go

Become a smart consumer not just a consumer

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have windows 7 ultimate and I have turned off all updates. I want no forced updates.

top topics

join