It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hold on to your hats , Greek Stock Market reopens tomorrow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Forecasters are saying 20% could be wiped off the Greek index as investors move out of banking shares , as is normally the way with estimates the estimate is likely on the conservative side and bigger percentage numbers may be seen.

Traders said they expect sharp losses as a result of pent-up trading and fears about Greece's worsening economy.
Takis Zamanis, chief trader at Beta Securities, is among the pessimists.
"The possibility of seeing even a single share rise in tomorrow's session is almost zero," he said.
"There is a lot of uncertainty about the government's ability to sign the... bailout on time and for possible snap elections."

A report in Avgi newspaper, which is close to the government of Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, suggested Athens was asking for about 10 billion euros (£7bn) this month for bank recapitalisation.
Banks account for about a fifth of the main Athens index. National Bank of Greece's US-listed stock has fallen about 20% while the Athens exchange has been closed.
One asset manager at a Greek fund said: "The focus will be in the bank shares - they will suffer more because their investors have to face a dilution from the [expected] recapitalisation of the sector."
Greek banks will not be make a profit this year and are suffering from an increase in bad loans due to the crisis, the manager said.
"It would be realistic to expect a decline of about 15-20% at the opening of the market on Monday," he added.
www.bbc.co.uk...

It remains to be seen what kind of a knock on effect that will have on other markets but tomorrow could be an interesting day for watchers.

edit on 2-8-2015 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Good time to buy then? Rock bottom prices!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Indeed.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Good plan Phage , go for it.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Good time to buy then? Rock bottom prices!

Uh, that might be like trying to catch an anvil falling out a window of the 13th floor.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

edit on 8/2/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
As expected Greek stock dropped 23% in early trading , Manufacturing PMI collapses to record low 30.2 in July.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

20%+ drop

www.my9nj.com... ens-with-22-percent-plunge

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

I'd listen to TonyS if I were you

Buying a falling market is not a bright idea

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It depends on wether you invest in things that will almost certainly bounce back.

I made a pretty penny on roubles when all the sanctions started. Bought when they crashed really low, a few weeks later they went up by 25-30%, so then I sold.

I know you can't do quite the same with the Greek market as they use euros, but a similar concept anyway.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
End of the first day and it could have been worse , a drop of 16.23% but I think it would have been worse if the banking stocks hadn't had a ceiling of 30% stopping them dropping lower , round two tomorrow.

Constantine Botopoulos, head of the Greek capital markets commission, told Skai radio: "Naturally, pressure is expected, markets will not fail to comment on such an extensive shutdown."
He added: "But we must not get carried away. We must wait until the end of the week to see how the reopening will begin to be dealt with more coolly."
www.bbc.co.uk...

join