It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders Will Consider Legalizing Marijuana If Elected President

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The one thing about Bernie Sanders that really excites is the fact he has been saying the same thing for years and voting for the things he talks about.

While never making marijuana policy a major part of his policy platform in the past, it seemed likely that the progressive Sanders would be a supporter of sensible marijuana laws. Researching his stances, as much as forty years ago, and the fact that his home state of

Vermont has been one of the most progressive states on marijuana policy (especially among states without the initiative process), many marijuana law reformers have held out hope that Sanders would be a leader on ending the War on Cannabis. Sanders’ previous

statements regarding marijuana have hinted that he would be announcing a progressive cannabis policy, and his most recent comments in an interview to run on Fusion and Univision on Sunday are his strongest to date. In the interview, he admitted to smoking marijuana

in his youth and he criticized laws that severely punish nonviolent drug offenders. Most exciting to cannabis law reformers is the fact
that the interview makes clear that Bernie Sanders will consider legalizing marijuana if elected president.

Vermont has been one of the most progressive states on marijuana policy (especially among states without the initiative process), many marijuana law reformers have held out hope that Sanders would be a leader on ending the War on Cannabis. Sanders’ previous

statements regarding marijuana have hinted that he would be announcing a progressive cannabis policy, and his most recent comments in an interview to run on Fusion and Univision on Sunday are his strongest to date. In the interview, he admitted to smoking marijuana

in his youth and he criticized laws that severely punish nonviolent drug offenders. Most exciting to cannabis law reformers is the fact that the interview makes clear that Bernie Sanders will consider legalizing marijuana if elected president.

source

This one paragraph has been spaced to prevent the huge block of text syndrome, easier reading.
edit on 2-8-2015 by AlaskanDad because: closed italics

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yet another feather for his cap!

For all the whining and fussing by the conservatives saying he's a sham and a poser and a commie, he really does talk SENSE, and he really does have a PROVEN TRACK RECORD.

(And that is why his support is growing exponentially, by the way, if any of you pooh-poohers are reading this. That is why there's "sooooooooo many Bernie Sanders threads lately" - not because everyone who has noticed him is stupid or ignorant or unaware or communist or wants to take all your money and leave you out in the cold).

2 cents
F/S, Alaskandad

edit on 8/2/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

Looks like I'm voting for Bernie this election. I love his policy more and more. Now, just imagine if he somehow did get elected, will he actually follow through with his promises, unlike every other god damn president?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

The question isn't will he follow through, but will he be blocked and screwed over at every turn when he tries.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Yup!

Bernie's track record is the proof of his preach'n!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

The question isn't will he follow through, but will he be blocked and screwed over at every turn when he tries.

I think that will be the cause.

Most of congress are likely on the payroll of the TPTB and democrat and Republican will both likely block him at every turn, same if a republican candidate who doesn't play ball got elected.

President means nothing if the other two branches of government are brought out and corrupted. And by the sounds of it most your congress are brought out with bribe....sorry I mean lobbyists and the supreme court judges too or they just live on a different planet.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If he did support legalizing marijuana, that would probably pull quite a few millennials of their parents couch to venture outdoors and head down to the voting booths.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

If he did support legalizing marijuana, that would probably pull quite a few millennials of their parents couch to venture outdoors and head down to the voting booths.

More likely it would be the Parents pulling the kids off the couch and marching them to the polling places so that the whole family VOTES FOR BERNIE together.

I know LOTS of parents who are just as excited as their millennial offspring.

So many have forgotten that we (the parents) are the Baby Boomers. We were there at the "Summer of Love". We came of age in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

We are legion. Hear us roar!!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

More likely it would be the Parents pulling the kids off the couch and marching them to the polling places so that the whole family VOTES FOR BERNIE together.

I know LOTS of parents who are just as excited as their millennial offspring.

So many have forgotten that we (the parents) are the Baby Boomers. We were there at the "Summer of Love". We came of age in the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

We are legion. Hear us roar!!

I can agree with that.

As most, if not all, of my partaking in the herbal essence in my high school days was provided by baby boomer parents.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Yep! And - we VOTE! This marijuana debate wouldn't have gotten off the ground without us. It's not the Millennials that have been the 'grassroots' of the movement.

We know what we're doing

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I'm really hoping Obama and Congress fixes this issue long before the election!!!!

With the pot issue on the ballot in at least 16 states, this issue becoming one of the main issues is going to be unavoidable.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

With the pot issue on the ballot in at least 16 states, this issue becoming one of the main issues is going to be unavoidable.

Exactly. Any SANE candidate would definitely be supportive of it, considering how much of a tidal wave it has become in spite of everything.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
While this is great........and I agree that it should be legalized.......

I find it sad that this would be the thing that would push him in , when there are so many issues that are much more detrimental to our country........

To me this is indicative of some of the problems we have........

Not MJ

But the fact that more people are concerned about MJ than all the other real problems we have facing the country........

That being said, I hope whoever gets elected does this, its good for the economy and thins out the issue with prisons
edit on 8/2/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well...

That just settles that... How can he lose?

Sorry if this issue really isn't all that high, on my list of priorities. Matter of fact, couldn't care less if I tried.

State issue. Settled by the states. Sanders, should he be elected, has other much more important issues to worry about.

Doesn't he?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

As if this is the only issue he is worried about. Flooding our prisons with non violent people charged with mandatory minimums because they were caught with drugs is a big problem for America, but not for the private prison industry.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I certainly hope it's not...

No, I know it's not. But, to me, it's of less importance than most.

Fixing our broken public education system.

Infrastructure. Taken a close look at our interstates lately?

Securing our borders, north, south, east, and west.

Any number of issues are, to me, of much, much greater importance. One of them would be prison overcrowding. It's one, I feel, that the states should address. But it is an issue.

He can't, no one can, do it alone. Congress needs fixing, too. Don't forget about them. Don't fix that? Won't matter who is sitting in the Oval Office in the slightest, because he won't be able to do a thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

edit on 8/2/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: redacted

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

ALL of those things are ALREADY in his platform. That's why he is surging.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Exactly. Any SANE candidate would definitely be supportive of it, considering how much of a tidal wave it has become in spite of everything.

It is an issue, but an issue that states should address. Which they are. By voting on initiatives. It's up to the citizens of the states to decide.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I am aware.

Those issues mean much, much more to me than this issue. That is, ultimately, all I'm saying.

I'm, in all likelihood, going to support him. But he could be totally against legalization, and I probably still would.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join