It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BFFT's Sunday Tacos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: Philippines

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Philippines

Cumin tastes like old sweaty men smell.

I think this taste (or lack of) also explains your disdain for cilantro/coriander.

When you go out for Mexican food, do you ask to hold the cumin?

Nah, it typically order dishes that don't have cumin. Chile Rellenos are a favorite, but i eat the cheese rellenos (not beef). Fajitas are another favorite. Guiso is something i like, despite the cumin.

But i don't eat at many mexican places. i grew up eating the best mexican food you could get. For example: i have no interest in flour tortillas that aren't made fresh to order. There aren't many restaurants that can do that kind of thing with any volume. So i just eat at home if i want mexican. i've even gotten to where i won't bother getting their menudo. I'd rather just go through the labor myself.

basically, if i wanted someone to open up cans and put it on a plate, i can do that at home.

Makes sense. I'm the same way most of the time when it comes to food -- I'd rather do it myself since I can make it to my taste and know exactly what is in it. That, and for Mexican food, I have to do it myself anyways since the closest (not that great) Mexican restaurant is 6 hours away.

I do remember a place called Taco Cabana that has commercial flour tortillas in every restaurant made fresh. They were decent, but definitely not the same as a taco shack or some good hole in the wall in Mexico.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Philippines

TC is big in central Texas, and they make good tortillas. I live in West Texas where the big commerical places don't operate. We have the standard array of fast food, but nothing like a Taco Cabana, or Rosa's.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I have been on a taco salad kick for MONTHS. I make it weekly so I have something to eat and now I want to make these!

I will be putting the items on my shopping list! MMMM!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

i seriously recommend you make enchilada's with the same sauce.

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I made some taco meat again tonight and tried a little twist. My friend told me to make a good sauce, brown tomato paste and/or mustard when the garlic/onion starts to brown. I was low on onion because I forgot to buy some so I just browned the paste/mustard/garlic. After browned, then I added the ground beef and seasonings (including cumin.)

The result was a totally different kind of textured ground beef, almost caramelized by the tomato paste and mustard when browned. The taste was amazing, but sadly not completely from scratch like using fresh tomatoes reduced to a paste.

Anyways, just tossing this out there.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I just saw this pic and remembered this thread.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join