It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aren’t you glad you were born into the right religion?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Galacticsun
a reply to: Realtruth

I was born into a very religious evangelical home where I was taught that our personal relationship with Jesus was by far the most important thing that we would ever have in life. Up until I was 13, I felt extremely lucky that I was born into the "true religion" and started to wonder at an early age why would I be so lucky and others not so much?

At 13 I started to secretly have doubts about my faith and by 15 I was pretty sure that there was a good chance Christianity was mostly created by man and maybe somewhat divinely inspired. I started to think of myself as a "Christian agnostic" and used that term to describe my beliefs for at least the next 15 years (I'm in my mid 30's now). One thing that being raised in a Christian home afforded me was a very warm, loving environment where I can honestly say that members of my family genuinely tried to please God and show love and kindess to others. It was a very warm and comforting bubble that I was in "knowing" that I was living in "truth" and love and it was a very painful transition choosing to not ignore my logical mind. As good as it felt to be in the bubble, I knew I could not be dishonest with myself.. and unless Jesus himself revealed "truth" to me.. I would have to go the path that my mind's eye saw as reaility.

In an attempt to seek out the truth I began to journal a lot and would have personal epiphanies that would help me understand people and relgion. One of the most important one's I had that relates to this topic is this thought that came to me; "Reality for each of us are the beliefs that we do not question". So how can people believe in so many different things wheter seemingly otheir bsurd or not? Well they choose not to question it. I don't question that the earth revolves around the sun because I have chosen to believe that many very intelligent people through history have proven this out... but to be honest I have never personally proven this out to myself... but I don't feel the need to.. I have chosen not to question this belief and it has become part of my reality.

Stories such as yours are either a) happening more frequently or b) simply being communicated more often. I tend to believe that its probably a little of both, but it seems to me that people now more than ever are questioning some of the nonsense or "miracles" within the "belief" system to which they were born. Finding too many holes in the story. Which only makes sense given the instant access to info we now have. I also believe that the severity of brain-washing and one's intelligence determines whether they can break free or not.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
That is the question that started my thinking about what I believed too.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

13th post down, there were some insightful comments about the issue that I thought might be helpful to this posts.

posted on Aug, 5 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Sorry this isn't even close to the reality. The question is which dogma were you truly brainwashed into. Because if you really came to conclusions based on formal logic, then you would realize that very little can be known with certainty and there are flaws in the logic and rational behind every modern paradigm.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Well one down 6 billion to go.. If your dome functioned for many years on the ideology of religion there is a very good chance right at this moment you are searching for the next one to be brainwashed into. You could try Atheism or spirituality next

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Pray tell, OP, which system of mind control predicated upon fictitious entities of conspicuous inaction who float in the sky, invisible to the naked eye and, indeed, to tangible existence, is "the best"?

(Nice to meet you...)

posted on Aug, 6 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Take an example religion, and be 3 years old growing up in a house where your parents (and mostly rest of their family) practice that religion, and chances are great that you will be that religion. Once up to the teens, the questions start and ultimately the real choice is made to continue, stop or perhaps join another religion.

Point is, those are the start of the formative years, and you learn mostly from what your parents teach you.
There are of course, exceptions.

posted on Aug, 7 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Sorry this isn't even close to the reality. The question is which dogma were you truly brainwashed into. Because if you really came to conclusions based on formal logic, then you would realize that very little can be known with certainty and there are flaws in the logic and rational behind every modern paradigm.

Jaden

Logic allows for critical thinking by replacing words with symbols ( Modus ponens ) and ( Modus tollens ) to validate an argument and its conclusion.

Also flaws in logic are referred to as "Logical Fallacies" and are easy to prove using the above.

So what is your definition of "Reality", because that is subjective as well as everything else in life.

I never said I was brainwashed in to any religion, but rather indoctrinated big difference.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join