It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aren’t you glad you were born into the right religion?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
double post

edit on 3-8-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

Apparently you haven't understood the scriptures you've read if you believe the all preach the message you claim they do. Read the old testament for starters.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
Yeah, it was probably the critical thinking groups that were busy doing all the donating….

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Well put.
Despite my sarcastic previous posts, I believe in reincarnation, and I was born into a particular bloodline and physical and spiritual heritage.
This means certain paths for my spiritual paths, which are assisted by my ancestors on another realm.
It even affects my diet, my physical being, so laugh or poke at me all you want in response, but I'm half-through my life, and just recently figured out it's true. If I follow the "correct path," I am prosperous and healthy, if not, I am not, period. 5 years of both prove it to me.
So, it's NOT coinkidinks yall. It happens for a reason. We carry on, remember, or like it, or not.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
a reply to: Realtruth

That is an interesting statement, but people in the past have been born into the correct religion that much is clear.
Here are some examples, Jacob sons later known as the twelves tribes of Israel. King Davids children as well.
Jesus Christ was born into the right religion he also left this world in the right religion, even though he basically started a new religion as God always intended. Children of the the 1st century Christians also were born into the correct religion as well. By the 4th century being born into a Christian household did not mean you were in the correct religion.

So what does that mean for people being born in 2015, it's true if you are born into a Muslim land, it's going to be very hard, since they execute apostates in some of those lands. But even those born into households that are teaching a version of 1st century Christianity the child must accept this on their own terms, and based on the pressures of morality and pseudo science taught today this is not any easy thing for children to embrace, many don't.

C'mon, you can't post that stuff here, this is a religion, faith and theology forum (I am here only for the theology side and will henceforth comment as such). Science and logic backed by empirical data which, is repeatable is the subject for another forum.
edit on 3-8-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Lets face it the religious are the most brainwashed group on the planet.
Falling for other mens version of the truth.
The fact they can not see it is a scam proves how brainwashed they are.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Lets face it the religious are the most brainwashed group on the planet.
Falling for other mens version of the truth.
The fact they can not see it is a scam proves how brainwashed they are.

We should be glad billions do not want to go to hell or what ever place it is for doing wrong. When humans do not have any restrains like this 10s of millions die rather quickly.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
LOL. I'm sure all atheists will give their children a very fair and unbiased education on all the different religions, especially when they explain the Abrahamic God to them as "an invisible bearded old wizard in the sky."

Give me a break.

You think atheism won't rub off on one's children? Or conservatism, liberalism, or whatever political view one holds? It's called parenting. You've had decades under your belt, and you want to impart your wisdom and knowledge lovingly onto your children, who are so new to this world.

Just because a lot of people @&#% it up doesn't mean it's a bad thing to do.

I don't hold the exact same beliefs as my parents. I went from being raised Catholic to being an atheist for six years, despite opposition. I found God on my own, and eventually came to accept Christ and become a non-denominational Christian. I've investigated other belief systems, even tried to stay away from Christianity because I was convinced, like many of you, that it was a negative thing. I sought knowledge and educated myself, eliminated the ignorance, and became a believer.

Did my parents have an effect on me? Of course. But I don't agree with a lot of my dad's beliefs/Catholic doctrine.

Really, are the majority of people in this world smart enough to do the journey on their own? Some would be LOST without guidance from their parents--confused and directionless. It's not even necessarily a result of low intelligence.

Should parents not teach a son to respect women, because he should "make his own decisions" and "not be indoctrinated?" How many are taught to respect women but end up doing otherwise? Or vice versa.

You guys act like your parents are the SOLE influence in one's life. Parents SHOULD teach their children their world views. And yes, many do it very wrong... But that doesn't mean everyone does it wrong. Regardless, children NEED guidance. Especially in this perverse world that only seems to be dwindling as time goes by, with a plethora of negative, nasty influences intermingling.

I know from a non-religious standpoint, you think that it's indoctrination. That reflects your bias. A religious person would CERTAINLY want to see their children go down the path they believe as right. Just like you wouldn't want your child to be an idiot who believes in "an invisible bearded sky wizard." Wake up, it's the same thing.
edit on 3-8-2015 by Achilles92x because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Yep, it's all about location, location, location!

Born in India? You'll most likely be Hindu. Born in the Middle East? You'll most likely be Muslim. Born in Israel? You'll most likely be Jewish. Born in the United States? You'll most likely be Christian.

It has nothing to do with truth and everything to do with the particular culture you're born into.

You mean that religion has more to do with culture, societal norms and the traditions of the place you are born and raised? It is almost like you are saying that the "One and Only All Powerful Truth" depends on where you were born and who your family is.

Huh. Interesting...

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Young children are blank slates, and adults that talk about something, or someone they can't prove seems rather deceptive would you not agree?

Just an aside, but beware this dogma.

There's a fascinating and enjoyable book by Stephen Pinker called "The Blank Slate" where he basically destroys this idea, that I would highly suggest. It's a fascinating read on the history of this idea and its current dogmatic status in academe. It's so deeply entrenched in contemporary social sciences that the idea still persistently raises its head.

A preview:

Thanks for the video and book recommendation

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I made a point of making sure my kids knew all about the different major religions and what they stood for and also the influence religion had on major countries - which was a bit of an eye opener for them. Needless to say I also mixed up their education with both starting at a church school and them moved them into the private sector and Steiner.

They have all turned out fair minded with no religious inclinations because I suspect the influence of the broad approach they started out with. My family have a mix of Christian, Jewish and Muslim within and thankfully we all get on very well because of our love for each other overrides religious dogma. I have tended more to paganism because I find it suits my belief in the world as an intelligent entity rather than some patriarchal puppet used by rulers to velvet glove their will on the public they dominate. I think religion is a tool rather than a blessing.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme
a reply to: enlightenedservant

So I'd say "Hey, wait a sec. Why aren't you praying to Darwin, Nietzsche or Satan? It's funny how you conveniently accept God in times like this".

Even more strange is how religion conveniently likes to take advantage of people in their moments of suffering just for the sake of converting them.

Religion doesn't do that, people do that. Pimps & payday lenders do that, too. Used car salesmen, capitalists that price gouge, war profiteers, prison gangs, street gangs, human trafficking rings, the Mafioso & Camorra, the Yakuza, and other groups also "conveniently take advantage of people in their moments of suffering". Is that religion's fault too?

Even individuals take advantage of others when they're in moments of weakness. Isn't that the whole point in a "rebound" relationship? And most date rapes & child molestations also happen because of people's desire to take advantage of others. Getting rid of religion wouldn't stop any of these instances from happening because it's not religion that does these things. It's humans that do these things. And humans do this stuff whether they're atheist, agnostics, or religious.

edit on 3-8-2015 by enlightenedservant because: added a sentence because i wanted to

edit on 3-8-2015 by enlightenedservant because: bad grammar. not my fault. i blame you

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

I asked this question on my own around the first time I learned there were other religions in the world. I didn't take it seriously until I started to lose my faith years later.
edit on 3-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

You are absolutely right "people do that". Religions are run by people.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
First of all, i believe that an individuals spirituality should be something of a more personal nature. With beliefs born through the experiences and knowledge attained along the path of life.

Children are extremely impressionable. I remember the day i found out that Santa Claus wasn't real. I remember feeling betrayed by those i had complete and total trust in. As if my whole life up until that point had been a lie. My world was turned upside-down. And my belief in Santa was a mere 5 years or so. I could only imagine how ingrained that belief would have been if it had been allowed to continue.

Well, lets just imagine the scenario if all of the adults would have continued with the SC story as long as they could. Naturally, as we grew older and learned more about how the world works, holes would begin to spring open in the Santa Claus concept. We would become confused as our parents pulled one direction, but our ever-increasing logic pulled us in another. My peers and I would begin talking amongst ourselves and eventually rip the entire conspiracy into shreds . No amount of assurance from our crafty parents could fool us any longer. The gig was up. Ha Ha very funny.

Now take this scenario but imagine that once a week you went with your parents to a big gathering along with peers and their parents. In this gathering, all of the seemingly impossible events were spoken of as being nothing other than pure fact. Not once is any of it even questioned. In this scenario, I would imagine that the charade could go on for much longer. Would it not?

Lets go a step further and imagine that all of the stories, from the toy-making elves to the flying reindeer, were also actually believed by your parents as well as all of the other adults present. Sound a little familiar?

Humans have a natural curiosity. We seek the answers to the universe, as well as our existence. Organized religion provides an easy way of finding the answers we seek. Instead of wasting so much time and energy going through the steps, we just get the answers from the back of the book. But wait, there are other books? That have different answers? Oh well, just look at all the free time opened up. Now we can watch all our favorite shows and still have time for yoga, hunting, video games, knitting and all that important stuff.

I can go on and on. Don't get me wrong, religion has it's success stories on a personal level. But, in my opinion, the bad far outweighs the good. As it not only divides us as a race, but promotes closed-mindedness on a global level. Bringing our evolution to a screeching halt.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas

This has to be one of the worse cases of selective quoting I've ever seen on ATS. Are you seriously telling me the only thing you got out of that post was linking "people do that" to "religions are run by people"? Seriously?

I brought up pimps, payday lenders, used car salesmen, capitalists that price gouge, war profiteers, prison gangs, street gangs, human trafficking rings, the Mafioso & Camorra, the Yakuza, date rapes & child molestations. All of which would exist even if all religions were wiped off of the Earth. But the only thing you got from it is "people do that" and religions are run by people?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I was born into a very religious evangelical home where I was taught that our personal relationship with Jesus was by far the most important thing that we would ever have in life. Up until I was 13, I felt extremely lucky that I was born into the "true religion" and started to wonder at an early age why would I be so lucky and others not so much?

At 13 I started to secretly have doubts about my faith and by 15 I was pretty sure that there was a good chance Christianity was mostly created by man and maybe somewhat divinely inspired. I started to think of myself as a "Christian agnostic" and used that term to describe my beliefs for at least the next 15 years (I'm in my mid 30's now). One thing that being raised in a Christian home afforded me was a very warm, loving environment where I can honestly say that members of my family genuinely tried to please God and show love and kindess to others. It was a very warm and comforting bubble that I was in "knowing" that I was living in "truth" and love and it was a very painful transition choosing to not ignore my logical mind. As good as it felt to be in the bubble, I knew I could not be dishonest with myself.. and unless Jesus himself revealed "truth" to me.. I would have to go the path that my mind's eye saw as reaility.

In an attempt to seek out the truth I began to journal a lot and would have personal epiphanies that would help me understand people and relgion. One of the most important one's I had that relates to this topic is this thought that came to me; "Reality for each of us are the beliefs that we do not question". So how can people believe in so many different things wheter seemingly obsurd or not? Well they choose not to question it. I don't question that the earth revolves around the sun because I have chosen to believe that many very intelligent people through history have proven this out... but to be honest I have never personally proven this out to myself... but I don't feel the need to.. I have chosen not to question this belief and it has become part of my reality.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: Leonidas

This has to be one of the worse cases of selective quoting I've ever seen on ATS. Are you seriously telling me the only thing you got out of that post was linking "people do that" to "religions are run by people"? Seriously?

I brought up pimps, payday lenders, used car salesmen, capitalists that price gouge, war profiteers, prison gangs, street gangs, human trafficking rings, the Mafioso & Camorra, the Yakuza, date rapes & child molestations. All of which would exist even if all religions were wiped off of the Earth. But the only thing you got from it is "people do that" and religions are run by people?

A group of people that deserved each other if ever there was one.

If you don't think religion is run by people you are at minimum naive.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Galacticsun

You might like some of the Hindu texts outside of the Vedas themselves.

The Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads teach one to question everything in order to find the truth within yourself.

The texts pose many philosophical questions and provide basic answers, but the point is for you to meditate on those questions and find the right answers for you within yourself.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
is Jesus who he said he is?

MANY scholars and researchers say YES:

yt: Lee Strobel - The Case for the Resurrection
www.youtube.com...
yt: The Bible Is True! ~ The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict
www.youtube.com...
yt: Walter Veith (13) Battle of the Bibles /Total Onslaught
www.youtube.com...
youtube: The Resurrection Argument That Changed a Generation of Scholars - Gary Habermas at UCSB youtu.be...

yt: Chuck Missler - How We Got Our Bible
youtu.be...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join