It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aren’t you glad you were born into the right religion?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Meh, I was born into Roman Catholism, and the only thing I really ever learned was being mannerful, which has strained my patience for better or for worse. My entire POV on religions now these day, is that has become utterly boring, with very little flash and no substance. Sure there some things that religion has going, like certain Archetypes that need to be read and thought fully, like the characterizations of Jesus or Satan, that can give some insight into the psychology of things. But how that works is how one can interpret it with experiences, like how a homicidal manic has a devil in him, or it could be an artistic portrayal of being tempted by basic instinct and inhibitions.

Sure their can be alot worse, and Im grateful in that respect for not being raised in a cult or a religion that over zealous.

But like I said, religion has very little flash, and no substance at all. Whats even funny, is that my mom would rather believe God or Jesus are real, rather then Aliens when we were watching the last Indiana Jones movie. Made my Satanic side laugh alot on the inside...

Go figure.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

I was born in a split religious house, one fundamentalist Christian (my father), the other Catholic (my mother), forced to spend countless hours been drilled by both religions in their individual churches and always having that inside knowledge that religion didn't make sense to me even as a child.

After growing I realizing that organized religions is something I would never support and that everything related to human religious believes is nothing but a twisted version created by man

I am more happier and confidence now that I have a personal understanding of what is man made and the truly spiritual .

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Hello again, again. This is to further Our quid pro quo... To be quite honest, after all I was raised in the Roman Catholic™ Church and don't want to burn in Hell for fibbing, I still have scars from school when I wouldn't snitch to The Sister about who was making noise, but these are NOTHING to 4 of My school friends, each a victim of molestation, I not only feel 'dirty/filthy' for typing about it but even worse, that I stuck with "Them" even after, years after... YUCK!

I wasn't shown/wasn't exposed to The Way until just a few years ago, when My Mother, who was really, really RC™ even up to adopting My 2 older brothers from The Children's Home Society™, both the Spawn of Satan himself, I 'snip' You not. The One who abused Me and My Mother did so right after killing a Lady Dr. and Mother of 3 in a car wreck and the finality of a lifetime of mental illness. He lives in a Board and Care Home w/other paranoid schizophrenics. His twin brother not only held a Memorial 2 weeks after She died and said on her deathbed "I don't want a funeral, a memorial or any of that 'snip' but had My Father change the will/Family Trust on His deathbed. He had the audacity to send me a bill for "My end" I told Him I'd take no part in going against My Mother's wish.

It was My Mother who had been dead 3+ years that turned Me onto the Tao Te Ching..

I'd be happy if "They" just paid their taxes. They don't supply any 'charity' anymore so why should they continue their tax status?

namaste

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

And I would agree religions have done good, but it's not the religions that do the good, but rather the goodness inside the people.

I disagree, yes there are people who, as you say, have goodness inside, but as a society we are not that good. We can look back at man's past and suggest religion created a lot of that misery, but I think it is the other way around. Man is basically inherently evil or bad how ever you want to say it. There is a reason we are top of the food chain and it not due to our nice side. When we do look at events where religion was not a part of it, man goes REALLY off the deep end. WWII, Stalin, China etc all make anything religious seem pale in comparison. It might just be that religion is the one stop gap that keeps man from just going full retard as we have seen in my examples, but no matter what, we can't stop it completely, so yes we continue to have our bad days as a society.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
My folks were Protestant. I went to Sunday School and one day in about 3rd Grade the topic of "Jesus walking on the water" came up, I raised my hand asked "How did he do that?", no answer was given. I then asked to to the Boy's Room, crawled out the window,, walked home and never went back.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Young children are blank slates, and adults that talk about something, or someone they can't prove seems rather deceptive would you not agree?

Just an aside, but beware this dogma.

There's a fascinating and enjoyable book by Stephen Pinker called "The Blank Slate" where he basically destroys this idea, that I would highly suggest. It's a fascinating read on the history of this idea and its current dogmatic status in academe. It's so deeply entrenched in contemporary social sciences that the idea still persistently raises its head.

Very interesting video. Thank you for sharing, I share similar views. We are unique from birth but most do appear to have an inherited moral structure. I also agree that many of our ideologies are more peer oriented than parent taught.

Religion seems to be the one ideology that can be handed down the easiest, because at church your parents, peers and religious teachers all confirm the same dogmatic bias.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I remember asking my parents "Do the people that have never heard of Jesus go to heaven?" The answer I got was, if they have been told about him and did not accept him that they would not go to heaven but would burn in hell. I also remember how insane and utterly ridiculous I thought that was. I was about 6-7 yrs old I believe. I never could or will accept the fact that people from other religions and beliefs will burn in eternal hell just because of their unfortunate geographic location. To me that's just the insanity of religion in a nutshell.

I hated church ever since I could remember going, which was probably a week or two after I was born. My Father was a Southern Baptist minister, we went Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday, revivals, tuesday visitation outings, bible school, etc. I was constantly reminded that I needed to accept Jesus in order to go to heaven and not burn in hell eternally. One day after church and sick of hearing how I'm going to hell. I went with my Mom to her room, said a prayer and like that I was now saved or so I thought. Nope, now I'm told that I had to be baptized in order to show the world that I've accepted Jesus in my life or it was all for not. Well, I did and apparently I'm good to go now. Seriously WT#?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

The idea of a bath saving you is not found in the NT. In acts the Holy Spirit came through a Baptism known as the laying of hands, or simply through faith in the message.

Other than Jesus Christ, I have yet to find one verse that directly states water baptism and Holy Spirit in the same verse.

But there are two verses about a Baptism of the Holy Spirit which was the laying of hands separate from water baptism.

19 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?”

They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all. Acts 19

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. Acts 8

There are also verse that say the Holy Spirit came on those who were listening to the apostle and believed without having water baptism as a prerequisite.

Eventually I plan on doing a thread on the subject, but I thought it might interest you.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73
I think you are right about the scriptures. The inconsistencies in the teachings of Christianity are numerous amongst the different denominations and their interpretations of the scriptures. It all depends on who you ask, what side of the street they live on and if they go to church on Saturday or Sunday. Some still believe anything over five thousand years old doesn't or didn't really exist. I have a tough time with all the ignorance that runs rampant within religion. So much of it is just absurd.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
When I was a kid, and my Dad was still alive, we never went to church or anything. Dad wasn't religious really, Mom kinda was, but when my Dad died, my Mom decided that that was proof enough that God wasn't there, and she's been that way for almost 20 years now. She let me go to various friends' church services, as I was curious.

It took about three visits to a couple churches, when I decided that it wasn't for me. I'd always been interested in science, and when I saw what some of the things that they taught went against my beliefs, (some scientific, mostly the homosexuality thing and other bigoted stances) it made my mind up for me. I'd want the same rights apply to everyone, and for humanity to learn and understand the scope of the universe.

If I want religion, I'll watch my favorite show, Stargate Sg1, and get my fill of the Goa'uld or the Ori lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Americans believe what they want; not what they were taught as kids. The churches know how much diversity of belief there is. About all they say now about doctrine, is if you "like" Jesus, you belong. I took philosophy and logic, like you. I can poke holes in every traditional religion. But the nuts-and-bolts universe of materialism didn't seem like a complete explanation of the world, so I'm a dualist. And by extension of that, I believe in things that are not atoms and photons, as having a valid existence, though not a material existence. Make of that what you will.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Trixster

How do you know it's the right country?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Yep, it's all about location, location, location!

Born in India? You'll most likely be Hindu. Born in the Middle East? You'll most likely be Muslim. Born in Israel? You'll most likely be Jewish. Born in the United States? You'll most likely be Christian.

It has nothing to do with truth and everything to do with the particular culture you're born into.

I was born in a hospital. It was antiseptic and thus I like cleansing with alcohol.

Yep, it's all about location, location, location!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Enlil2215
a reply to: Trixster

How do you know it's the right country?

Because everyone else comes from the left country.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Lucky, lucky Abrahamic religions.
I may be biased leading towards Hinduism, and they may be just as guilty...
But since most of the planet forgets about them most of the time anyway, we'll just not mention it.
Oops.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

I was born on an Air Force base.
Guess what that makes me lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I am glad. Because I did what most if not all adults should do after reaching an adult set of mind, and that was to ask myself: why is my religion the right one for me?

And since Ive found my answers, my faith has strengthened and Im not just a child who is photocopying rote behavior anymore. I'm a living breathing entity who's faith exists because her questions exist.

I'm Muslim

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I happened to be born into a family who encouraged freedom of choice and exploration.
My opinions and beliefs change more than the "Solid Earth Theory," which is a lot, and I feel blessed to experience absolutely anything I choose while visiting this silly reality, including the view that it's really ridiculous, more often than not. And, I learn tons from ALL beliefs, and teach and share this with others, like it or not!
Word to YOUR mother.

ETA: not YOU, OP, just sayin lol
Good post

edit on 2-8-2015 by KAOStheory because: ETA

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

That is an interesting statement, but people in the past have been born into the correct religion that much is clear.
Here are some examples, Jacob sons later known as the twelves tribes of Israel. King Davids children as well.
Jesus Christ was born into the right religion he also left this world in the right religion, even though he basically started a new religion as God always intended. Children of the the 1st century Christians also were born into the correct religion as well. By the 4th century being born into a Christian household did not mean you were in the correct religion.

So what does that mean for people being born in 2015, it's true if you are born into a Muslim land, it's going to be very hard, since they execute apostates in some of those lands. But even those born into households that are teaching a version of 1st century Christianity the child must accept this on their own terms, and based on the pressures of morality and pseudo science taught today this is not any easy thing for children to embrace, many don't.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join