It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Guardian Device

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: Revolution9

What specifically do you mean by "Up to now women haven't had the power to defend against rape"? Do you mean until the invention of this device?

If you read my words you will know exactly what I mean.

Basically, you and I are two opposites of the spectrum. You seem to suggest there is no problem and somehow the victim is a victim because they were brought up to be a victim. That is frankly hog wash.

I am seeing empowerment as addressing the imbalances of the past. Or will you say they do not exist?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

No, I'm not saying that at all. And we are not polar opposites either. I have never suggested that there is not a problem. And I'm not convinced you actually answered my question either. It was rather specific, after all.
Empowerment is a fantastic thing. But it's not enough. It sadly has become a catch-all term for any feel good sentiment to assuage some perceived guilt, as well as actually meaning and being a real thing. There has to be the fostering of a strong mentality and knowledge one's self from day one. It's far more personal than lumping everyone of a certain gender into a single catcategory and then pointing at the other gender and saying 'they are the reason for your problems, and they will take every advantage of you they can'.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Empowerment is a fantastic thing. But it's not enough. It sadly has become a catch-all term for any feel good sentiment to assuage some perceived guilt, as well as actually meaning and being a real thing. There has to be the fostering of a strong mentality and knowledge one's self from day one. It's far more personal than lumping everyone of a certain gender into a single catcategory and then pointing at the other gender and saying 'they are the reason for your problems, and they will take every advantage of you they can'.

THANK YOU

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

rape is a horrible crime. no ones arguing that. what experts are saying is that predators attack prey. which makes them easy victims. if a rapists is going to assault a random person they don't know then they are going to single out the easiest victim. there will be several women that the rapist passes over because they are harder to victimize. the primary deciding factor us the signals being given off by the potential preys body language. look like a chump and the predator might think you are one and go after you. it's just how it works sadly. teach your daughter confidence, proper body language, and street smarts and she will likely never get assaukted in her entire life. most women go through life with never ever being assaulted. there us a reason and its not random.

That is a very old and inadequate argument like suggesting if a petite woman dresses in a way that men may choose to see as provocatively she is somehow asking to be raped.

I am soooo glad there are some VERY powerful women around now. It will change the world for the better. If you knew what I knew about just how powerful certain women are becoming you'll be quaking in your work boots or shiny office shoes. This is not going away, it is here to stay and all these issues are to be tackled.

You are perhaps thinking along the lines that the media are just creating fear for no real reason and you are saying those who have been victims of social ills have in some way encouraged it just by being them. Your argument of the predator and prey is not very useful. Men are generally stronger than women. The male has that physical advantage. Or should we just say if you are smaller and less strong tough luck mate? That is not the way to run a modern civil society. It doesn't apply anyway. A five foot, seven stone blonde could bring a six foot fifteen stone guy to a stop with a bullet.

Ok, who is the victim then? What kind of person? Is it the young child, is it the woman in prison, the woman in a war zone, the student nurse going home from work, the estate agent lured to an empty house, the woman drugged in a night club, on and on and on?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

And see, you actually just made that point for me rather well. You perceive that we have a difference of opinion on part of the discussion, and therefore I must be your 'polar opposite', that I'm blaming the victim, and implying that I don't even think that a problem exists. THAT is what I mean. Empowerment is NOT division. Nor is it misogynistic stereotypes.
The current ideology of painting all men as dangerous and the enemy is deeply flawed. It makes women afraid of them. Which makes most of them more timid around them. Which is perceived as being an easier victim to a predator.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Why in the world should I quake in my boots because of a powerful woman? What perception do you have of males that makes you think that's a valid view of how the world should work?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

THANK YOU

Says you. I have not used it in that way even slightly and never would. You are just trying to create your own propaganda around your opposition to what you perceive as liberalism and have an issue with...

F E M I N I S M

You don't trust it and are worried enough by it to attack it. It is not what you say it is. It is the ongoing attempt by women to empower themselves to counteract male domination. I tell you those days are finished. You'll be swept away with the dinosaurs.

I'm getting concerned about thread drift here. It is NOT about victimhood, but this little device. Don't you see how nervous you are? I've started a thread about a little device that was made by a woman to help in the struggle against rape in society and you come in with all this victim stuff.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I see no reason why that device will be limited to women. It is little different in potential than putting cameras on cops. These thing will be marketed toward children first, then women and then toward the general public. What the heck, it is very similar to devices already on the market for the elderly and infirm. Safe to assume that marketing ploys have already be involved.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Why in the world should I quake in my boots because of a powerful woman? What perception do you have of males that makes you think that's a valid view of how the world should work?

I'm just using your own tactics on you. You didn't think I would be able to defend my thread and thought I was a victim you could prey on.

You were wrong. I've got all day and night if I wish it to defend my thread and I will.

Of course I offer you a truce that you stop walking all over my thread, focussing on me solely for your attack with your fellow member buddy and return to addressing the topic of this little device, lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I never started the conversation about victimhood. Nor am I at all nervous about the topic. Also, I'm not afraid of Feminism. You need to find another brush to paint me with, my friend. Liberalism doesnt frighten me. You just seem angry at someone and have mistaken me for them.
And as to the device, I did post my thoughts on it upthread. I said it really doesn't seem to have much in the way of deterrent value if it is meant to be worn concealed. What are your thoughts on that evaluation?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I see no reason why that device will be limited to women. It is little different in potential than putting cameras on cops. These thing will be marketed toward children first, then women and then toward the general public. What the heck, it is very similar to devices already on the market for the elderly and infirm. Safe to assume that marketing ploys have already be involved.

Good point. However this device is being marketed for women and has its own monitoring station and personnel. It is a private venture.

As you say there are other devices out there, but this is the first of its kind for this specific purpose with its own monitoring station.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

I'm just using your own tactics on you. You didn't think I would be able to defend my thread and thought I was a victim you could prey on.

You were wrong. I've got all day and night if I wish it to defend my thread and I will.

Of course I offer you a truce that you stop walking all over my thread, focussing on me solely for your attack with your fellow member buddy and return to addressing the topic of this little device, lol.

Excuse me? When did I ever attempt to intimidate, insult or prey upon you? I merely expressed an opinion, clearly not directed towards you, and then carried on a conversation with you when you responded. Having to resort to baseless accusations and insults to 'defend your thread' (which I thought you were doing perfectly well in the first place) is not a sign that you think your position is all that strong, normally.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

sadly in this world just being yourself, if it presents an easy target, is enough to get assaulted.

wearing provocative clothing isn't the issue. it's the person wearing them and their body language tacitly telling the predator that that person will be an easy victim. like I said Ronda rousey could be wearing something extremely provocative an I really doubt any predator will attack her. not because they know who she us but by the signals she's projecting. act like prey and guess what. you are. act like there's no way in he'll you are going to be on the menue tonight and you probably won't be. it works on lions, tigers, sharks and even humans.

also strength disparity isn't really an issue. I'm much stronger than a bee. ain't no way I'm f-ing with a bee. it's not going to make its self an easy victim. as a resault almost no predator except for a very specialized few ever, ever mess with bees.

the most lethal person I ever met I had about 100 pounds on them. used to be my old private instructor in martial arts. we had a falling out. partly my fault. I'm terrified of the guy. I'm a magnitude stronger than the guy and last time I saw him walking my way in the part I literally ran. no joke. ran from a guy 100 pounds lighter than me.

in contrast I'm a short guy. stocky, but very short. almost nobody in my neighborhood will mess with me including big strong guys and the local gangbangers. why? body language. I'm outmatched almost all the time size wise. but i have next to no fear even in real crappy neighborhoods of getting assaulted cause my body language says. ehhh.....there's something about this guy that makes me think he won't go down easily. the price is too high to attack him. move on to easier victim. if you understand the psychology of why predators pick victims then it's a lot easier to actually not become a victim.
edit on 2-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

yeah right! I look up to powerful women. I even think its attractive. ok ok so I grew up having a crush on the girl in my karate class a few ranks up. I was attracted to her power, co fidence and self determination. she now runs a martial arts academy and I'm still proud of her.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I never started the conversation about victimhood. Nor am I at all nervous about the topic. Also, I'm not afraid of Feminism. You need to find another brush to paint me with, my friend. Liberalism doesnt frighten me. You just seem angry at someone and have mistaken me for them.
And as to the device, I did post my thoughts on it upthread. I said it really doesn't seem to have much in the way of deterrent value if it is meant to be worn concealed. What are your thoughts on that evaluation?

My thoughts are that if a woman is being raped and has no other course of action available to her to resist the rape then at least she has reported her location and has evidence to get her attacker to court rather than being blanked with the fact there is no evidence of rape because she has not been pummelled to hell and questioning her validity as to whether he no really meant yes.

Many members have pointed out the pit falls. At least we have a shared response here to this device and people can make an opinion with a little more info.

I did not come here advertising it. I wanted to see what people felt about it. I made that clear in my opening post. Instead I have had to spend the main part of this thread talking about victimhood and whether it is a person's own doing that they get raped. Sorry, but that actually disgusts me.

Is it really so bad to want a world of freedom where women men and everything in between can conduct their lives without fear of being preyed on by the physically stronger? Look at the lengths we are having to go to because a small minority of brutes are behaving so violently.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

back to the device. it will do nothing to prevent rape. it may help in the prosecution of rapist though. granted he's ever caught.

I think Ronda rousey has the right attitude in this video that more women should embrace if they want to make themselves less of victims in this world. the video us about her answering a question pertaining to her physique but the message behind it to be self responsible regarding taking care of yourself and not putting yourself into a unempowered position in life where you expect others to empower you.

m.youtube.com...

edit on 2-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

sadly in this world just being yourself, if it presents an easy target, is enough to get assaulted.

wearing provocative clothing isn't the issue. it's the person wearing them and their body language tacitly telling the predator that that person will be an easy victim. like I said Ronda rousey could be wearing something extremely provocative an I really doubt any predator will attack her. not because they know who she us but by the signals she's projecting. act like prey and guess what. you are. act like there's no way in he'll you are going to be on the menue tonight and you probably won't be. it works on lions, tigers, sharks and even humans.

also strength disparity isn't really an issue. I'm much stronger than a bee. ain't no way I'm f-ing with a bee. it's not going to make its self an easy victim. as a resault almost no predator except for a very specialized few ever, ever mess with bees.

the most lethal person I ever met I had about 100 pounds on them. used to be my old private instructor in martial arts. we had a falling out. partly my fault. I'm terrified of the guy. I'm a magnitude stronger than the guy and last time I saw him walking my way in the part I literally ran. no joke. ran from a guy 100 pounds lighter than me.

in contrast I'm a short guy. stocky, but very short. almost nobody in my neighborhood will mess with me including big strong guys and the local gangbangers. why? body language. I'm outmatched almost all the time size wise. but i have next to no fear even in real crappy neighborhoods of getting assaulted cause my body language says. ehhh.....there's something about this guy that makes me think he won't go down easily. the price is too high to attack him. move on to easier victim. if you understand the psychology of why predators pick victims then it's a lot easier to actually not become a victim.

Cool, that is the way you feel about it. I'm not really of the mind that we should behave like the animals and let it be a fittest of the fittest, nastiest wins rule that governs civil society. I want to be able to walk down a street not having to put on all the macho tooling up of attitude. I like to walk around with a smile and extend manners in my neighbourhood. I want to have a structure of law that protects us. We will end up turning the whole world into gang land Chicago like that, lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Thanks for the contribution of the video. I hope you Ronda can inspire people.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I agree that the device has merit. Never said otherwise. And you're absolutely correct about it being useful in court. I was just wondering if it might not have some deterrent value of worn in such a way that the potential attacker can see that it's there.

And I'm not and have never said that rape is the victim's fault, by the way. You may have missed my earlier response, but you challenged another member to walk a mile in the shoes of a parent whose daughter has been raped. I own those shoes. I've been wearing them for 5 years. So please don't, not even for a single instant, think that who you assume me to be is even slightly accurate. I want nothing more in this world than to know that she never has to fear it happening again. Nor any other woman.
And also, the device should come with a shrieker.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

See, I think that is another problem. There are plenty of laws against rape and other forms of assault. But laws don't do anything for you until you're a victim of a crime. They obviously don't stop rapists, they merely set guidelines for punishing them. There has to be a complete paradigm shift. And better recognition of what drives people to commit those crimes, so that the causes can be eliminated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join