It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Guardian Device

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
well intended but unrealistic. the best it could hope to do is get a possibly useful audio recording of the incident to use in court. granted the police can ever find the perpetrator.

I'll be real honest. if a person assaults you and gets within arms reach before you realize you are being attacked you will never be able to deploy your weapon to save or help you period. full stop end of story. unless you are already walking around with the weapon in your hand and ready to discharge it will never help you in real life if the persons intent is bodily harm and they have managed to get within arms reach without you noticing.

keeping a concealed pistol is useless. keeping pepper spray in your purse is useless.
keeping a taser or stun gun in your purse or pocket is useless. if the person is that close to grab you he's got you until you can use empty hands to fend them off long enough to get to your weapon then fiddle about trying to get it deployed. he's got you already, good luck. weapons are only usefull when you can get to them and actually deploy them. if that persons assaulting you you will have to create space between you with your bare hands to buy time and distance to deploy any weapon.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: LunaticPandora

"Empowering" suggests they didn't have power in the first place.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Glad you don't see it that way at all. Constantly tell a segment of the population they are victims...and guess what...

You've got a segment of the population WHO ARE VICTIMS.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
like the old adage says.

if you stand and walk like prey, then you ARE prey.

that's really your best option for not getting assaulted whether it be rape or gang violence male or female. predators don't like hardened targets. how you walk almost always determine whether you get assaulted or not.
edit on 2-8-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
like the old adage says.

that's really your best option for not getting assaulted whether it be rape or gang violence male or female. predators don't like hardened targets. how you walk almost always determine whether you get assaulted or not.

Get outta my head!!!

I have two daughters. Sorry...they're not victims. I refuse to raise them as such.

Our culture is creating victims...our "little precious princesses".... our victims.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Have to agree with you there. Unless it's a personal grudge or something, I doubt rapists like too much of a challenge.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I get a good laugh at our society and "feminism"....

You're every bit as strong and good as a man...but, remember...you're a victim and you need to be empowered!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

spot on. I bet even if an attacker didn't know who Ronda rousey is, or that she knows judo, even if she were in a cocktail dress and heels would attack her simply due to her confidence and body language. that potential attacker knows nothing about her except one thing. she's not acting like prey and if I go after her there will be a price. pass over her and wait fir an easy victim.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Yeah

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Glad you don't see it that way at all. Constantly tell a segment of the population they are victims...and guess what...

You've got a segment of the population WHO ARE VICTIMS.

Up to now women have not had the power to defend against rape. Bringing this to attention is leading to people beginning to think of solutions.

In reality a minority of men are calling the shots. The vast majority of men do not do this. Yet this minority are restricting women's freedom. One member's comment lists all the things a woman should do just when going on a night out. As I said in a previous comment it is not a question of just victimhood, but vulnerability. The day when women are free of this vulnerability is the day they will be free of this crime that exploits only one vulnerability and that is the difference in physical strength between genders.

If we don't keep talking about it this will not go away. We would be hushing it away like we did with child abuse, too.

I'm very happy with this thread. It has dealt pretty well with discussing this device and locating its pit falls. When something comes on to the market it is a good thing to examine its pros and cons against what is boasted about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Two words.

No Victims.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

What specifically do you mean by "Up to now women haven't had the power to defend against rape"? Do you mean until the invention of this device?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Now, girls...remember...

You are a walking victim. Nothing you can do will prevent a man from coming up to you and raping you.

Accept the fact that you need to be empowered.

::cough::

Even my wife agrees with my sentiment....btw...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
like the old adage says.

Get outta my head!!!

I have two daughters. Sorry...they're not victims. I refuse to raise them as such.

Our culture is creating victims...our "little precious princesses".... our victims.

I bet if that happened to one of your daughters you would sing a very different tune. Unfortunately there are millions and millions of parents in the world whose daughters have been raped. Walk a mile in their shoes.

Your comments are very poorly reasoned. Really you are saying that women who get raped are somehow encouraging it by behaving as victims, a construct of the way their parents brought them up. That seems quite ludicrous to me. Fortunately, too, your way of thinking is losing credibility as people begin to appreciate the utter horror of this crime and its prevalence in the world.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
Up to now women have not had the power to defend against rape. Bringing this to attention is leading to people beginning to think of solutions.

In reality a minority of men are calling the shots. The vast majority of men do not do this. Yet this minority are restricting women's freedom. One member's comment lists all the things a woman should do just when going on a night out. As I said in a previous comment it is not a question of just victimhood, but vulnerability. The day when women are free of this vulnerability is the day they will be free of this crime that exploits only one vulnerability and that is the difference in physical strength between genders.

If we don't keep talking about it this will not go away. We would be hushing it away like we did with child abuse, too.

Thanks for the laugh...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

No. Women who are conditioned to be victims are victims.

And you are fighting the emotional side of this argument. Not the rational one. So, have fun with it.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

What specifically do you mean by "Up to now women haven't had the power to defend against rape"? Do you mean until the invention of this device?

Great question, pfishy...

And wow..."Up to now women haven't had the power to defend against rape". I think that stands as good humor all on it's own. Nothing I can begin to add to that

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I have walked a mile in those shoes. And I still agree with the point that reinforcing victimhood as a cultural norm is far more likely to make it a reality than teaching self-reliance and preparedness.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   

rape is a horrible crime. no ones arguing that. what experts are saying is that predators attack prey. which makes them easy victims. if a rapists is going to assault a random person they don't know then they are going to single out the easiest victim. there will be several women that the rapist passes over because they are harder to victimize. the primary deciding factor us the signals being given off by the potential preys body language. look like a chump and the predator might think you are one and go after you. it's just how it works sadly. teach your daughter confidence, proper body language, and street smarts and she will likely never get assaukted in her entire life. most women go through life with never ever being assaulted. there us a reason and its not random.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

I have walked a mile in those shoes. And I still agree with the point that reinforcing victimhood as a cultural norm is far more likely to make it a reality than teaching self-reliance and preparedness.

Thank you for your words. And, I am sorry to hear that you or someone you care about has dealt with this.

I am glad you're able to see things as they are.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join