It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Guardian Device

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Rebecca Pick has invented a small device with the purpose of protecting women from rape.

The small device can be attached to one's person conveniently, like on a bra strap. When activated it communicates with the mobile phone via blue tooth, instructing the phone to contact the monitoring centre and also audio recording is activated for future evidence should it be required in the courtroom. The monitoring station can then alert the police and give the exact location of the attack. The device will be provided free, but a small monthly charge will be asked for the monitoring service.

Any thoughts? Will this device empower women further? I think it is a great idea and may have real security benefits for certain women. Perhaps there are some pit falls members may wish to pick out.

I guess there is every chance that many more services could be offered to protect anyone who believes they are vulnerable, older people, etc. I'm sure Rebecca Pick is not the first to think of this, but she has developed on a theme and service specific to women.

Here is the full story as reported by the Guardian:

The innovators: the personal rape alarm with a fast track to the police

Seems like this is the first device of its kind to have an accompanying and exclusive monitoring service dedicated to rape and physical attack upon women.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Could the monitoring station choose to activate it themselves and record audio and pictures whenever they wanted?

I'm guessing they would say no but!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
Could the monitoring station choose to activate it themselves and record audio and pictures whenever they wanted?

I'm guessing they would say no but!

It is a good point you make because as we have seen technology is always vulnerable to hacking and snooping.

It seems not. Thought has been put into the device activation by having to press two buttons simultaneously. Other than that the station is not contacted. It is the mobile phone doing all the work, being prompted to dial the monitoring station and report GPS location. The operative on the other end gets all the info, does a quick assessment of whether it is a genuine attack via the audio and contacts the police with all the info. I am not totally sure whether it can be activated from the station as I can't find any specific details about that.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Rebecca Pick has invented a small device with the purpose of protecting women from rape.

It doesn't "protect from rape", it just calls the cops. Something cell phones do already.

Pull something out that protects you… get a dog, can of mace or a pistol.

Or dial 911 and hope for the best…

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I think it's a great idea. I was actually wondering whether there was something like this out there...since my 28yr old daughter wants to be an OTR truck driver. I would be constantly worried about her being abducted since she is pretty and petite. She would just have to make sure she ALWAYS had the device with her and her phone with her and charged anytime she was out of the truck at truck stops or any where else that is potentially dangerous ( which is almost everywhere nowadays ) .

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

It doesn't "protect from rape", it just calls the cops. Something cell phones do already.

Pull something out that protects you… get a dog, can of mace or a pistol.

Or dial 911 and hope for the best…

Yes, I think a Doberman or German Shepherd is much more effective, lol. Tooled up with guard dogs, mace and a revolver is not so inconspicuous.

I am trying to put myself in that position. If I was a female student and could afford it I think I might go for something like this if I was satisfied it was not vulnerable to abuse. There is a real problem of campus incidents against women students in the UK, not sure how it goes in the U.S. Reportedly a third of female students have experienced incidents. Big and mean guard dogs and guns are not allowed on campus in the UK, lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
I think it's a great idea. I was actually wondering whether there was something like this out there...since my 28yr old daughter wants to be an OTR truck driver. I would be constantly worried about her being abducted since she is pretty and petite. She would just have to make sure she ALWAYS had the device with her and her phone with her and charged anytime she was out of the truck at truck stops or any where else that is potentially dangerous ( which is almost everywhere nowadays ) .

Yes, that is exactly my line of thinking. It is not the ultimate answer, but yet another useful tool.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

It's an idea with good intentions, and will probably save people from experiencing a terrible ordeal that will affect the rest of their and their families lives...but if it became common place and was known to most people, i'd think we'd begin to see situations where the attacker would grab the victim and say something along the lines of; "I'll only cut your throat from ear to ear if you activate that GPS tracker alarm device..if you don't you'll get out of this alive"

Or words to that effect.

I suppose, if there's a knife to your throat you're going to be faced with a terrifying and extremely unpleasant choice to make either way.

Tech savvy attackers may also be able to block the signal somehow too.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

There is a real problem of campus incidents against women students in the UK, not sure how it goes in the U.S. Reportedly a third of female students have experienced incidents. Big and mean guard dogs and guns are not allowed on campus in the UK, lol.

Then call 911 and hold up the phone so the "perps" can see it before getting too close. Nothing like being recorded to put someone off.

Don't wander a dark campus alone…

Are campuses that dangerous? I thought it was the parties?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Parties, walking home, secluded areas around the campus accommodation. I'm sure the figures relate to the whole student experience in general, not just campus attacks, though they are happening in numbers. Student nurses around their accommodation on site and nurses in hospital car parks after late shifts, etc, are targets, too.

As another member stated I think their effectiveness might be depleted if they became a common device. Ways would be found to sabotage the device. Can a blue tooth signal be blocked by any device that anyone knows of, or is there the potential to do so?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

A strong radio signal will more or less 'jam' or scramble a BT signal, as would a lot of metal in the immediate vicinity.

An attacker would probably get to know that if they took a powerful, but portable RF generator along with them this would block the signal, or stage their attacks near lots of metal, like containers, lorries, or other large metal structures.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

There is a real problem of campus incidents against women students in the UK, not sure how it goes in the U.S. Reportedly a third of female students have experienced incidents.

There is a problem at universities but less than 1% of students have reported rape and the one third figure includes everything up to unwanted approaches so is very misleading, especially when presented in a thread regarding a rape protection device.

The issue needs to be delt with for sure, but hyper sensitivity can only harm the process.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Can a blue tooth signal be blocked by any device that anyone knows of, or is there the potential to do so?

Probably. I'm guessing cretins that rape girls aren't that sophisticated, though.

I'd also hate to be in the position of being found out hiding a 'bug' in ones under ware.

This sounds like a middle man monitoring company. Ideas like this are put out by people that think just call the cops is the best answer to crime interdiction.
edit on 2-8-2015 by intrptr because: change

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Thanks MysterX and Prezbo for your info.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Carry a firearm small enough to conceal, but large enough to control, especially under stress. Carry a Taser C2. Up close and personal its a pain compliance tool. 6-15 feet out it's incapacitating. OC Spray, you might get some on you, but most of it is going on him.

This device won't prevent rape. It would merely help investigators catch the rapist.
edit on 282015 by LunaticPandora because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I for one think that the notion of "empowering" anyone means they are a victim.

I don't believe in victims.

The idea of an entire gender believing they are victims is a very sad thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

I get what you're saying. But rape is a genuine concern. I believe in campus carry because where I am from a woman was raped on campus. She left her gun at home because she wasn't allowed to carry. 2 months or so later the man who raped her raped and killed another young woman who was also a student at the same school.

The first woman testified before the general assembly of my state that if she'd had her gun then the young woman who was brutally assaulted and killed would still be alive.

I don't believe in taking on the victim mentality either. But empowering women to take control of potentially dangerous situations is not about creating more victims or solidifying the victim mentality. It's about making sure there are no victims to the best of our ability.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
I for one think that the notion of "empowering" anyone means they are a victim.

I don't believe in victims.

The idea of an entire gender believing they are victims is a very sad thing.

I don't see it that way at all.

Women are under a constant potential psychological threat in certain situations. They are at risk just for walking alone at night. If a man's car breaks down in an isolated place it is not one of his first concerns that he is vulnerable to rape. For a woman this is very likely to be a concern. Women are not enjoying the same freedom as men as it stands without vulnerability. They are not actual victims. It is a vulnerability issue that relates to men being in the main physically more able to dominate women physically.

I don't think women see themselves as victims. I think it is an issue of vulnerability and restricted freedom. They are not having the same freedom as men without some very real risks to their physical wellbeing.

A simple example. I can go out where I like alone, day or night and my chances of being raped are too tiny to really even consider. It is not so for a woman. She has to bare the very real threat that she may be attacked.

I would not put victimhood next to a word like empowering. It is the opposite. Here is a detailed examination of world rape statistics from Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

It's a nice concept but not real prevention. Seems more like something to help with prosecution after the fact. I just think a woman or anyone for that matter would be better off taking self defense, martial arts, weapons training, carry a gun, get a dog. Most important take steps to always be aware of surroundings , never ever leave a drink unattended, don't drink something if you didn't see it getting poured, never indulge in drink/ drugs to the point you lose all control of body/senses. These won't prevent all cases but just some steps.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

It's a interesting idea, but it seems like it has more benefit on the back end rather than being a preventative measure. As in evidence value. It may contact police for them, but it is no physical deterrent whatsoever to the attacker. Nor does it address the issue of typically slow police response times. Also, while a voice recording can be useful for prosecution, still images or video in addition would be much better. While that would necessitate it being worn outside the clothing, that does nothing but enhance any deterrent value it has to begin with. If the potential attacker can see it, instead of it being concealed, and knows it may get images of them, it is a more effective device.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join