It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Fined $7500 for Opening Assembly with Prayer

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
They need to just secede and get it over with. The whole south should secede so they can have their theocracy and third world lifestyle.

That's racist.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I'd have been pissed off if my child had ever been forced to pray to any alleged god while at school, talk about brainwashing.
We do have some faith schools in the UK, but you choose to send your kids to them. I couldn't have got mine into the local one even if I'd wanted to because you have to attend church.

All the rest of our state schools just teach about religion as a social studies exercise providing an awareness about all the conflicting religions in the world. In my own child's case it was not even called Religious Education, religion was dealt with in 'Philosophy & Applied Ethics' classes.

I agree with a previous poster as well, the principal should have been fined, not the school board.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: CB328
They need to just secede and get it over with. The whole south should secede so they can have their theocracy and third world lifestyle.

That's racist.

How is that racist? I didn't see anything about race in that post.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Why are you pleased? Do you really think removing prayer from our schools is going to change anything?

Every little bit helps!

Seriously, though, it violates the the first amendment. Duh! Is violating the first amendment OK with you? Public school employees shouldn't be involved in trying to give students a theology lesson or engaging in religious practices with students.

originally posted by: Klassified

That's called "race baiting". Best to ignore it.
edit on 8/2/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

You misunderstood. The kids aren't taught to kill, they are taught to revere a piece of cloth. Then later they use that reverence to hep direct them through nationalism.You might have seen through that now that you are older…. young ins, thats tougher for them.
'

Long live the church of state, there shall be no other gods before it.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Well in his pathetic attempt to blame religion for some of the most serious problems facing our nation, he just suggested that the states with the highest percentage of black residents secede.

STDs, teen pregnancy, low test scores, and poverty aren't the only thing Mississippi ranks number one in. They're not the only thing Louisiana ranks number two in, they're not the only thing Alabama ranks number three in... I could go on if you like. Don't even get me started on the District of Columbia.

But hey, let's just keep ignoring the big giant elephant in the room and blame religion.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Someone finally gets it. Thank you so much for pointing this out. I have lived in Alabama my entire life and this couldn't be any more spot on.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Well in his pathetic attempt to blame religion for some of the most serious problems facing our nation, he just suggested that the states with the highest percentage of black residents secede.

STDs, teen pregnancy, low test scores, and poverty aren't the only thing Mississippi ranks number one in. They're not the only thing Louisiana ranks number two in, they're not the only thing Alabama ranks number three in... I could go on if you like. Don't even get me started on the District of Columbia.

But hey, let's just keep ignoring the big giant elephant in the room and blame religion.

I know I'm going to be sorry I didn't listen to BH, but I believe the poster was referring to the occasional threats by southern states to secede from the union. So they are the ones who fostered the idea to begin with. To turn that comment into a racial slur, sounds like you're looking to be offended, and have your own problems with racism. Which is a different thread.

As to religions role in the problems facing our country. I would argue that religion does play a role in the problems we face today as a nation.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I would argue that religion does play a role in the problems we face today as a nation.

You have an opinion with no discernable correlation to point to, I have facts and a smoking gun.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You misunderstood. The kids aren't taught to kill, they are taught to revere a piece of cloth. Then later they use that reverence to hep direct them through nationalism.You might have seen through that now that you are older…. young ins, thats tougher for them.

And what does not letting prayer in school have to do with that? You make it sound as if people praying will stop them from believing in nationalism.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Then you have these nutjobs:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

They also have a very high percentage of religious people. THAT'S what the thread is about.

YOU brought race into the thread. YOU alone carry that responsibility.

I know I'm going to be sorry I didn't listen to BH,

I'm probably going to be sorry I didn't, as well. LOL!
edit on 8/2/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

I would argue that religion does play a role in the problems we face today as a nation.

You have an opinion with no discernable correlation to point to, I have facts and a smoking gun.

That sounds very eloquent, but empty. You talk about the elephant in the room, and the smoking gun, but you haven't revealed who and what you're talking about. Please, tell us who is holding the gun, and how it applies to this thread.
edit on 8/2/2015 by Klassified because: Reword

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Just to be clear, I do not advocate for faith in school in any role where it is being taught as fact, or in any other way promotes that particular faith to its students. Or when it comes to prayer etc. at assemblies or other school events.

What I did suggest was a place the faithful could practice their faith, while at school. I don't think students or staff should be banned from bringing their Bibles to school. Reading them during their breaks, or saying a quick prayer with friends.

I don't particularly like religion. I find it to be a scourge, continually giving itself a "get out of jail free card". As much as I want to say, "keep it in the privacy of your home", that simply isn't fair to those who believe.

We certainly aren't about to ban all other books of non fiction from schools, now are we?

Again though, I absolutely do not agree with people who feel religion should be taught in school as if it has legs to stand on. Or that any public school should advocate any religion.
edit on 8-2-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

While I would not pin the blame on any one source for those woes, religion does take at least some of it. How much compared to other factors, I don't know. I'm honestly not entirely sure what you're getting at though?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

What I did suggest was a place the faithful could practice their faith, while at school. I don't think students or staff should be banned from bringing their Bibles to school. Reading them during their breaks, or saying a quick prayer with friends.

Did I miss something? Both BH and I addressed this on the first page.

We certainly aren't about to ban all other books of non fiction from schools, now are we?

Again. You've got me wondering if I missed something. Who has said bibles cannot be carried on to school property by students or staff? Or that private prayer was an issue?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

No you didn't miss anything. I think I did.

I think I just misread the tone of a few posters.

Re-reading it seems I had nothing to reiterate for myself.

(I'm not usually up this early)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
I'm honestly not entirely sure what you're getting at though?

I finally get it. The telling portion of the quote:

STDs, teen pregnancy, low test scores, and poverty aren't the only thing Mississippi ranks number one in.

So, "the giant elephant" is that the states with the highest rates of STDs, teen pregnancies, low test scores and poverty also have the highest percentage of black people. So, clearly, religion is not to blame for all of this, black people are... Black people are the "elephant in the room".

Yeah... I don't know what else to say.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Here's a sad video about the state of a lot of our schools.

edit on 2-8-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Here's a sad video about the state of a lot of our schools.

Wow! "How can an African-American person evolve from a white person"? The teacher clearly has done a total crap job of teaching the evolution "side"!!!

Crazy is right.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join