It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Please--Do Something

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:56 PM
Years ago I saw my dog playing catch with herself in the backyard.

She'd leap around, toss something up in the air, then seize it again as it fell.

It took moments before I realized she had something other than a ball. It took closer investigation before I recognized what hung limp from her jaws was a baby rabbit.

Yelling, screaming, shouting, clapping--I swift convinced my four-legged friend to relinquish her prize. Then looking at the fang-mangled ball of tiny fur laying in the yard I faced a difficult decision.

I don't kill, I won't kill, I can't kill by choice. Thus euthanizing that poor shaking fluffball was never an option.

Neither was walking away.

I couldn't sit inside my house in comfort while something else was suffering just outside. I had to do something, even if that something was patently ridiculous.

Should I have taken it to a vet? Most likely.

But what I did after consulting with an acquaintance was drive to the store and pick up a tiny baby bottle. Returning home I lifted that quivering mass into a blanket-lined shoebox than I attempted nursing it back to health. It was clearly in shock--shaking, trembling, too traumatized by puncture wounds to do anything but lay there helpless.

So I did the same--for nothing could I do except be there while it died.

It passed hours later. I still feel upset about it to this day.

It's a sad story with a decent lesson. For all too often, in hopeless situations we tend look the other way to avoid emotional harm unto ourselves. We shelter within inaction, turning up the volume in our own private worlds to avoid hearing the pained cries of others.

But we should remove ourselves from those protective shells. We should engage with the world around us, and do everything we can--even if it hurts.

When you see something in distress, comfort it.

When you see something in need, provide.

But above all else, please do something.

Even if it's as demonstrably stupid as sitting there with a bottle while a baby rabbit dies.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:13 PM
a reply to: Trachel

About a year ago, a partridge crashed against our house's wall. Its neck was broken, but it was still living, quivering, in what I can only guess as deep pain. We had nothing to kill it, so it laid there until it finally passed away, hours later. I can only imagine it wasn't a quick death.

I am myself against killing. Completely against. But when something is in pain, and with no cure, I believe it more merciful to give a quick death (even if it hurt us deeply), than let it die in suffering for hours.

I understand deeply your dilemma. But that would be my action if such a thing would ever happen again. (hug)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:17 PM

Thanks for that touching story.

Lately I have been seeing many examples of animals hurt on the road while I commute to work.

Why at this time in my life I care so much whether a turtle makes it across the road or not, is beyond my understanding. I turned around the other day and the little bugger made it on his/her own. Made my day, really, made my day.

You gave me some understanding from your story.

Thanks again SnF

edit on 8/1/2015 by pale5218 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:21 PM
a reply to: Yavanna

Thanks, Yavanna.

I do see the argument for mercy, but I'm Taoist (you could also call me Buddhist and I wouldn't be offended) and I literally cannot intentionally take life.

I stop my lawnmower to let crickets leap out of the way and scoop stray flies into a cup and release them outdoors.

I'm just a big weirdo like that.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:22 PM
a reply to: pale5218

Thanks to you too!

I have the same twinges when I see a hurt or dead animal on side of the road. Whenever I pass something deceased on my drive I always offer it a little silent prayer of apology that our world values rapid transit more than animal life.

"Sorry, little buddy," I've repeated probably thousands of times in my head.

I'm a compulsive empath.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:23 PM
that sounds like its the dogs instinct which are to hunt but also wanted to play. what breed of dog is it?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:25 PM
a reply to: devaur

She's an Australian Cattle Dog with a spotted orange coat.

Her name is Goose or Goosie (she made honking noises as a puppy).

I wouldn't trade her for anything, and so far as I know, that's the first and only time she's wounded anything.
edit on 1-8-2015 by Trachel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:33 PM
By stepping in, you may have prolonged the bunny's suffering. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just let it go. That does not make you heartless. Sometimes, stepping in is a selfish act that does not help at all. Last fall, I picked up a turtle that had been ran over and was clearly suffering. I did the kindest act that I could by putting it out of its misery. Making the right choice can be hard, sometimes, and it may not always be what you WANT but what is best for the animal.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:34 PM
i had a mixed australian shepherd with i not sure what else i sortve inherited her she was great with people the second i shot a quail she was after it id never trained her that way but my mother said she, the dog liked hunting critters in the backyard

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:44 PM
death is a part of life we all eat to live if that upsets you then get over it. if you eat meat something died for you to eat, when you have have a vegetable or fruit youre consuming the same

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:50 PM
a reply to: Blueracer

Well that little bunny had a chance to make peace, so I say wtg and I hope you do not ever find me in need of help.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:00 PM
if theres any thing left worth it skin it and fry it up

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:15 PM

We inadvertently started a rabbit farm when I was 9. Thought we purchased 2 females. Told so by the seller.

Thank you for your attempt at saving that furry life.
My dad put all 100+ in the freezer and I ate rabbit for awhile.

I can only say there is nothing quite as chilling as the sound of a rabbit scream. Unforgettable.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:30 PM
a cougar scream might be as bad but when my cat brought a rabbit in the house it woke everyone up, like you said though its unforgetable i was 9 living in AZ at the time
edit on 1-8-2015 by devaur because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:39 PM
I always step in to help any animal in distress. Recently, I tried saving a juvenile chimney swift, but after a few days, it flew off, landed in the road and died anyway.
I had a few wonderful days of feeding and loving that little bird. It was a nice experience. At least I tried, like you tried to help the poor baby bunny.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:43 PM
a reply to: Night Star

Blessings for trying.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:59 PM

My husband bought me chickens on our first wedding my request. Built a quaint coop too.

His rat terrier (who lived 19 years) found out he had a sudden hankering for hens. My little hen, Scruffy, was targeted and attacked. Huge, gaping chunks missing. Her little neck limp.

She still had life in her; I felt it.

I wept. My husband shook his head but aided my attempt at saving her. I must have been nuts.

Scruffy lived for 5 years. She became a loner and lived apart from the others. We made her a "condo" and she became pet-like. I fed her meal worms and such.

I have a pic of that scruffy, death-defying chicken in our living room, perched on my hubby's arm. She gave us greenish shelled eggs every other day as a thank you. (No, we didn't let her in our home but she wandered in one day and jumped up)

Life finds a way.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:00 PM

originally posted by: Trachel
a reply to: devaur

She's an Australian Cattle Dog with a spotted orange coat.

Her name is Goose or Goosie (she made honking noises as a puppy).

I wouldn't trade her for anything, and so far as I know, that's the first and only time she's wounded anything.

Blue Heelers (or Red heelers, in your case) are instinctively loyal to there owners, there also very good around kids, although they tend to nip at the heels of anything that moves (but rarely break skin), which is exactly what they where breed for.

Problem is, they tend to be incredibly territorial and will usually bark endlessly and even attack any other animal (or stranger) that enters there owners domain, unless obviously trained not to. Only reason he probably hasn't killed anything other than a rabbit, is because he hasn't had the chance.

My grandpa had an awesome Blue heeler that he obviously loved. But after it killed a Koala for the 3rd time, my grandmother took it to the vet and got it put down.

Anyway, its not the dogs fault, there just doing what they're instinctively designed to do and at the end of the day its just a rabbit. Unless he was intensively trained as a pup not to attack small animals, he obviously knows no better. Plus considering there working dogs, without extensive exorcise, he's just going to get bored and look for small animals to kill, attack, play with (and inevitably injure).

Personally, next time I'd just get a shovel and with one powerful strike just chop the baby rabbits head off. My grandpa taught me how to kill them by snapping there necks when I was a kid, by just grabbing it by its shoulders and head, then just twist and pull at the same time, well cracking it over your knee if you don't have the power to snap it's neck by a quick twist and pull motion. I could never personally bring myself to use enough power to snap the neck in one go, but it was never a problem for my little brother. My empathetic mentality just caused the rabbit more pain, where my brother was able to just snap its neck in one shot without a second thought and it was all over instantly.

So I guess the more humane one was the one who caused the animal more pain by being all emotional about it.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:12 PM

It can make you feel guilt stricken for some strange reason I've yet to understand. Is that Godliness? The empathy for the other living beings being so strong that it pains you, when literally no one around you that you commonly encounter seems to feel a similar way? Or is that just being "weak sauce", fear based.. reminded of your own inevitable mortality?

I was cutting the soon to be 'old' backyard once, and I noticed a young blue jay flopping around under a tree in some leaves. I turned off the mower and felt an immediate sense of .. "crap, this little guy needs help and I'm the only one to see; wouldn't I want help if one came upon me while I was .. lost from the nest, flopping around, about to die?"

So I thought about it for a minute. What can I do? I noticed its' mother about 10-15 feet up on a branch, looking down at it sideways, I even walked under it and saw it looking at me as well, gawking the entire time. The bird on the ground looked young but halfway grown, maybe at the stage of learning how to fly. Its' chest was pumping quickly like it had tachycardia and it was looking up at me.

I decided to walk away. Really? Lol, no, seriously, I walked away and observed from a distance. I watched the mother swoop down with worms in its' mouth a couple of times to the ground in an attempt to feed its' child.

Five minutes goes by and I decide to go check on it. I was told to never touch young birds when I was a kid because the mothers will not want to feed them anymore due to the smell of a human. That might have been a myth, but it stuck with me regardless. So, I look down at it, and it's ... not breathing. It's warm, so what.. can I save it?

I immediately scooped it onto a rake carefully and carried it in the air over to the wooden play set / swing set. There's no children living here so who really cares. I leave it on the top level and spritz a bit of water on it in a feeble attempt to wake it up. I walk away again.

The mother flew over to it and inspected it, then stayed nearby gawking. I eventually went inside to have a drink of water, then went back outside and finished my task.
edit on 8/1/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:16 PM
and then, to my astonishment,

just kidding. it died.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>