It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

f117 at the Tonopah Test Range (yes again)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
www.lazygranch.com...

These are photos of two F117 at the Tonopah Test Range. One flew under that callsign BAT15. The other one just took a stroll around the barns but didn't fly.

I was hailed on twice to get these photos, uh not that I'm complaining. Now if I was hit by one of the lightning bolts, then I would have grounds for complaint. Actually the storms weren't all that close, but you need to keep an eye on them since they do move quickly.

These photos are for a quickly and dirty upload. Eventually better tweaked images will be uploaded, as well as a TTR panorama.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
You should post a link to this in the Aircraft Projects forum. Good pics. Definitely not fully retired.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac
Wow, well I'll be damned. Probably out doing some testing with another bird from a nearby base
Makes sense to do some checks with another stealth bird, that's owned and operated by the same group, and significantly cheaper to get up in the air, compared to the other current stealth birds of theirs (i.e., F22 or F35).

Awesome shots as always, Gariac.. Thank you for the hard work!!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: weavty1
Wow, well I'll be damned. Probably out doing some testing with another bird from a nearby base
Makes sense to do some checks with another stealth bird, that's owned and operated by the same group, and significantly cheaper to get up in the air, compared to the other current stealth birds of theirs (i.e., F22 or F35).

Awesome shots as always, Gariac.. Thank you for the hard work!!

No, this was a solo flight as far as we could tell. However, now that you mention it, both times I watched the F117 fly post retirement, it went south of the TTR. I figured that was just to get it out of the way, but I suppose it could be playing with some other aircraft or even getting sniffed by the TPECR.

It flew for about half an hour.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Amazing photos! Thank you for sharing & for all that you do
to keep us informed here at ATS>

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Test bed for new RAM coatings?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Nice work, and thanks for sharing!!!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Great shots, gariac, as always. This bird always catches my imagination as it was what got me interested in 'black' projects in the beginning.

Makes sense that they'd use it for a test bed for new RAM coatings as it has a very well documented and proven RCS.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AussieNutter

You need to thank my anonymous spotter. You can't shoot at this distance very well with a 400mm. Ya think those aviation magazines would send out a photographer with a "pool" lens. (The magazine loans out the big glass.) But magazines these days just rewrite press releases.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Could not tell from the pictures, but if you ever see a small module in the mddle of the fuselage, one on each side, that is for active radar returns. Pretty much makes it visable as a normal plane.

Always nice to see older stealth technology still used. Agree with the idea that it was to keep flat spots from forming on tires.

In a previous life, I rolled all kinds of rolling stock, mostly with run flat tires around to keep from having flat spots.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac
www.lazygranch.com...

These are photos of two F117 at the Tonopah Test Range. One flew under that callsign BAT15. The other one just took a stroll around the barns but didn't fly.

I was hailed on twice to get these photos, uh not that I'm complaining. Now if I was hit by one of the lightning bolts, then I would have grounds for complaint. Actually the storms weren't all that close, but you need to keep an eye on them since they do move quickly.

These photos are for a quickly and dirty upload. Eventually better tweaked images will be uploaded, as well as a TTR panorama.

Great catch my friend! I saw nothing for my efforts in May, other than the Janet's taking off and landing. And a couple of B-52's doing circuits over the range.

posted on Aug, 26 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
so this is not a repeat from the early 1980's?

top topics

join