It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spitfire crashes in Kent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
A WWII Spitfire has crashed on takeoff in Kent. The aircraft was seriously damaged and the pilot suffered a shoulder injury.

The landing was described as textbook and the owners of the aircraft have said it will fly again.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Thanks for posting S&F .. A beautiful aircraft .... The article says the damage is such that at least the bird can be restored and hopefully the pilot will make a full recovery.... Certainly could have been worse.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
ouch,thats gonna hit the pocket hard.A mate of mine rebuilt the one that crashed here in NZ a few years back,only to have the owner crash it again on its first flight.....he said he wasnt going to rebuild it again,but did because the money was good,and theres very few of them left in the world he said.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I just hope it wasn't a rare version and the pilot makes it out okay.
It is a Spitfire LF Mk. IXc according to other sources.
No idea how many of this version are left as the spits had lots of versions durring the war.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

There are 31 left I believe is the count. Not sure if that's all variants or this particular one.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
heard that another plane crashed in england and thought 2 in 2 days? second one i,m glad the pilots fine but first one when i heard who was in it my instant thought was who had a hand in that?

instant conspiracy in my head,just can,t help myself.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: sparky31

third one to crash in two days sadly www.abovetopsecret.com...
I too, always think of the conspiracy angle

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: astra001uk ah i never saw that one, conspiracy has to be first thought especially when who were the passengers.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
the one thing to say about spitfires is friggin awesome looking

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Pyle

There are 31 left I believe is the count. Not sure if that's all variants or this particular one.

The DM says it was a supermarine. Biggin Hill is not so far from my original hometown of Chatham, I used to pester my dad to drive me there all the time. I guess, there will be speculation about this, with three crashes in three days at minor landing fields, and I suppose it is a bit weird. Good that this pilot came through though.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
There are 34 in England.Total survivors are I think around the 200 mark world wide of which about 50 odd are flightworthy.They are a PITA to build as they are all curves but I agree one of the worlds most beautiful planes...Looks like a wing has been sheared off so a firewall change is in order and maybe Frame 10.

top topics

join