It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Some Massachusetts firms deny gay workers spousal benefits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
For some gay married couples in Massachusetts, becoming legally married seemed to be the most difficult obstacle they would need to overcome so that they could share their lives together legally in the eyes of the law. But now it appears that the battle has just begun, in terms of having the same benefits available to heterosexual married couples extended to them. They are now encountering resistance in several benefits areas, including health and retirement, because not all firms are willing to accept that their benefits plans are subject to reinterpretation to include gays.

news.bostonherald.com
BOSTON (AP) - Some employers with federally regulated health plans have decided not to extend health benefits to spouses of gay workers.

They say the plans are not bound by the state's same-sex marriage law.

The Boston Globe reports that N-Star, General Dynamics, and Caritas Christi Health Care are among employers that don't provide the same health benefits to spouses of married gay workers in Massachusetts available to heterosexual married couples

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is no no word yet as to whether gay rights supporters will challenge this in court, although challenges are very likely. This has the potential of affecting other issues regarding gays, such as adoption. Other firms have decided against extending retirement benefits to gay married couples.

Related News Links:
www.boston.com

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
My mother told my uncle Robert and aunt Steven that they would be facing this issue soon after Mass. did their thing. These two are queerer than a leather Pinata. I feel that if they want the regular perks like the usual hetro. couples do, they need to change their ways. Do not get me wrong, my best friend when I was Hgh. Sch. was gay. I could trust him and count on him 24/7 and not to mention the fact that he was a very funny person. During this time my grandmother was very ill and he took off from his job to stay with her and play cards with Granny up till she died. I firmly believe he helped prolong her life up to her end. I don't know...what the answer is. Should our govt. extend the same rights and perks to them? I think whatecer action is taken by any govt. they should keep in mind that gay people are in fact people and should be treated with respect just as anyone else would be regardless of sexual orentation.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I wonder if some places will just stop extending benefits to spouses all together. What about companies who have headquarters in other states? I don't know the law. This is why having one rogue state do things like this is not the right solution.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You're right! Having one rogue state take the lead is not the solution. We need 49 MORE OF 'EM! If you've got two eyeballs, walk on your hind legs, and love any other human being, then you deserve to be treated like one!

new topics

top topics

join