It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A CNN Founder Answers Why The Media Is Often One-Sided When It Comes To Guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
A good article with one of the CNN Founders (excerpt below) on the reasons CNN and others are tanking and loosing perspective with "filters" and not reporting stories due to political reasons instead of being journalist.

www.forbes.com...

“Part of what happened to CNN is what happened to Hollywood. The news, like Hollywood, became trapped in creating and fawning over celebrities. Getting Anderson Cooper publicized became more important than breaking the big story.

When you have celebrity reporters telling you how they feel about being in Iraq instead of reporting on how our troops are doing you begin to lose perspective. With guns, instead of going to gun ranges, gun-owner’s homes, instead of interviewing women who’d stopped an attacker, and instead of really trying to understand the world such women live in and what they’re going through, they just tell us how they feel.

Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer, and the rest are stars, not reporters. They’re not hunting for the truth. They’re telling you what they think and what they think all comes from the cocktail parties on Manhattan’s Upper East Side and from conversations with other reporters.”

The only way it stops and the mainstream media regains control of the narrative and so can dumb-down people again by not reporting what doesn’t fit into the liberal narrative, would be by government fiat. A new Fairness Doctrine or something.”

In closing, Jim says, “A lot of my former colleagues have accused me of selling out. Really, that’s how they think. I tell them no, you sold out a long time ago. Now you’re such a shill you can’t even see it.”

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Notice that the article you post advocates for the end of the 1st Amendment and the free press?

"Oh look, we know we're biased and it's all your fault for insisting on your stupid freedoms and constitution and stuff ... Really, GOVERNMENT has to force us to be unbiased in our reporting ..."

So basically, they refuse to police themselves. They hate having opposing views in the press that much.
edit on 1-8-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

"liberal narrative"

I'm out.
When someone commenting on an issue like this makes it about political leanings all credibility is shot to hell.
This is why America will never be able to have a proper conversation about guns, the second you do it boils down to "dirty commie liberals" and "extremist right-wingers".

This is all noise, and while you're all deafened by the noise another kid is arming himself up to shoot up his school.
edit on 1-8-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Then why are so many news reports to stupid when it comes to guns? They don't even bother to research what they're reporting on. They don't talk to people who own them, people who have used them successfully to defend themselves, etc. They parrot each other and put out the same old stuff. They are an echo chamber.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, he isn't advocating for it, just stating that in their "Current State" the only way they can come back being the shills that they are currently is with Government intervention like the "fairness doctrine" bull crap to get rid of the competition to their biased asses.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer, and the rest are stars, not reporters. They’re not hunting for the truth. They’re telling you what they think

Agreed, that is not reporting, it's punditry. And that is the problem with the 24 hour news cycle, and that is the problem with the media in general, from Fox to MSNBC.

People want to be entertained, and they want to see familiar faces with whom they agree, they want to be told what to think, and they want to hear that with which they have already formed an opinion and which aligns with those already formed opinions, alas.

Critical thinking and self reflection is dying.

We're being manipulated, controlled, sedated and told what to believe.

edit on 1-8-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Yeah I had to read it several times, but even so, putting it in print is disturbing.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

"liberal narrative"

I'm out.

LOL.

Reality is hard for some.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Really hits home doesn't it.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
yea that is bad. It is like how people gloat Canada list Fox news as entertainment not news. If a law were to go into effect like Canada's, Fox would go on the chopping block in the USA because guess what .gov officials would decide what is unbiased and guess what .gov workers who are usually also in public unions are generally team blue, team red news would lose

hypothetical law is hypothetically bad based on real world examples.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

That is correct, I am dreading what to expect regarding the FCC/FEC now that the internet has been assimilated.
edit on 1-8-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

"liberal narrative"

I'm out.
When someone commenting on an issue like this makes it about political leanings all credibility is shot to hell.
This is why America will never be able to have a proper conversation about guns, the second you do it boils down to "dirty commie liberals" and "extremist right-wingers".

This is all noise, and while you're all deafened by the noise another kid is arming himself up to shoot up his school.

Any conversation, that includes limiting law abiding citizens gun rights, is not even one worth having anyways,

So later, glad you are out!!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, he isn't advocating for it, just stating that in their "Current State" the only way they can come back being the shills that they are currently is with Government intervention like the "fairness doctrine" bull crap to get rid of the competition to their biased asses.

The fairness doctrine, is needed by the left, because they can't compete with the right in any media.

If you added every left leaning talk radio hosts audiences together, they would not make half of rush Limbaugh ratings alone.

Hell I bet Dana lash beats them all together as well.

Fox news is another good example, look at its ratings keep climbing, as all others keep falling.

It is because the liberal narrative is so idiotic, at least one can listen to rush or fox and not the entire time think, "how retarded are these people ".

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Cnn is hot garbage, too bad peoPle believE that only liberals do these things.

Fox news is terrible but hey its all about the new in word progressive.
edit on 1-8-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If the US media apparatus is really firing on all cylinders to try and disarm us or influence us into disarming ourselves, they have done a piss-poor job. Gun control is pretty much a dead issue and those politicians that have tried to push it through have either failed or have had next to no success, which Obama himself has admitted. That alone really makes me question whether there actually is some sort of conspiracy or agenda, it is most likely just a bunch of snobby Manhattanite anchors or producers who think they know what's best for the rest of America, just as the article stated.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Really fox news is better, its all lies and you sir fell for one side.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Some just think the Right has these talking heads because of their radio shows, etc. This shows both both sides have it. Both play divisive tactics with their opines.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
a reply to: johnwick

Really fox news is better, its all lies and you sir fell for one side.

I don't partake honestly, but have seen it, what fox does is 100 times more easily palleted than CNN msn or any of the big others msm.

I didn't fall for either side, was just pointing out what should be obvious.

The liberal narrative is unpalatable to most people, I would think that was obvious given their ratings.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Some just think the Right has these talking heads because of their radio shows, etc. This shows both both sides have it. Both play divisive tactics with their opines.

But one side at least keeps it realistic, so as not to alienate the public.

The other, honestly the left has gone so far out in left field, 90 percent of the public reject it flat out.

That is why their ratings are in the toilet and reaching for the flush valve handle.

How can they get their message out, if nobody will listen to it?

I just don't see the logic involved here.

I know if I was a crap salesmen, I wouldnt say I have the smelliest most horrible crap around.

I would say, second use food, looks great, smells terrific!!!!

That is the difference.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

People are missing the biggest picture here, journalist and news reporters are nothing but employees for the these big companies that most of them are linked in one way or the other to political parties in power.

Is not that they are one sided but that they are presenting what is been approved by those that are in the highest ranks than them, in this instances with CNN they lean to the Democratic party by affiliation and that is why certain issues in government affect what is presented in the news to us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join