It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas will Secede from the Union, 81,000 signatures!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I guess I'll have to get a passport to visit my sister.

Chuck Norris can be king. Might not be that bad.

yeah right...every Texan will get their own workout equipment and exercise DVD from your "king" of Texas

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Texas isn't going anywhere. They don't have the option to just up and leave. 81,000 people just wasted their time signing a meaningless petition. But they are managing to embarrass themselves, and the country, yet again. I think all of those redacted high school text books are starting to show their effect on the collective Lone Star 'intellect'. Funny, and sad.

a reply to: Violater1

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Not true, in Texas we have the State Guard and the Texas Air National Guard, neither are nation guard units funded by the feds. Beyond that we have a mother crap ton of trained militias all on record with the elected sheriffs and governors offices. We don't need uncle sams troops, we have plenty of our own.

That, with regard to the Guard units is absolutely incorrect. The Texas ANG is set up under Titles 32 and 10 of the United States Code and is funded as a part of the DoD budget. The budget this year is about 4 and a half billion dollars. It is a part of the Air Force MAJCOM. Under Title 32 it can operate within a state under the directions of the governor for limited disaster relief operations. And as for the militias, how many combat aircraft do they have. The USAF has 283 A-10s, 27 AC-130 gunships, 62 B-1s, 20B-2s, and 78 B-52s still in service. The Mexican Air Force has 363 aircraft. Texas has zero.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
This will never happen.

Currency? Would they have their own? at what exchange rate?
Highways?
Borders? Need a passport to go state to state?
Military?
People who live close to the border and work out of state or vice versa?
New country code for phone numbers?

I havent read the entire thread, so some of these issues may have been addressed. But all the little stuff that would become problems if Texas was another country would seem to be a big issue.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Whats funny is people thinking if texas did this it would not be a peaceful split. Why not? If texas can become independent it can do things th e U S gov cant do and save the feds face. Also as in regard to the weapons in texas they could be left there in exchange for a mutual defense initiative like we do with any US ally we get oil from.

Lincoln isnt in charge anymore and this isnt about a return to slave days either. If they have a referendum in the next election and the people vote to leave the US what then? If th e US says no they demonstrate that voting is a Sham to the sheeple right?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hell, they should put the vote up to the rest of the country. I think we would overwhelmingly and gladly vote Texas out of the Union. Building a border fence and keeping them out would be a little tricky, though.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Consider this, if Texas were to secede from the union, then the Texas STATE government would become its federal government and y'all would be scared of THAT government instead. I wonder how long until the various counties in Texas start demanding that they secede from Texas.
edit on 3-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Consider this, if Texas were to secede from the union, then the Texas STATE government would become its federal government and y'all would be scared of THAT government instead. I wonder how long until the various counties in Texas start demanding that they secede from Texas.

Well im in South carolina so..... Although thats kind of what the founding fathers wanted isnt it? they should had been clearer if they wanted it one unified country. the only time we were suppossed to work together was for defense of the nations states as a whole.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well im in South carolina so..... Although thats kind of what the founding fathers wanted isnt it?

No. It isn't. That's what they tried with the Articles of Confederation, but that concept proved to be unsound.
Articles of Confederation

When the founding fathers decided to write the Constitution, they purposely gave the federal government more power because a decentralized government wasn't efficient enough.

they should had been clearer if they wanted it one unified country. the only time we were suppossed to work together was for defense of the nations states as a whole.

Actually, what they wanted is REALLY clear; it's just that many don't study history enough to know these things.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
This is hilarious. I'd love it if they'd finally put up (since they won't SHUT up about it) but I doubt Texas would have the stones to do it if they were given the option & it was down to zero hour for them.

TMBTM is not considering many things. First, the economy. Sure, you grow & make crap. As do 49 other states & several territories, not to mention other countries. Exactly how low are you prepared to offer things to retain buyers on a global scale being a new country? The CoL would be in flux until that's hammered out.
Which leads to taxes & import & export tariffs. First, the tariffs. You better hope you can compete with the rest of the firmly established states & countries afterward. And be willing to have more poverty to get those industrial balls rolling.

Now on to taxes. You're going to be losing money on lower-priced commodities in effort to be competitive on a world stage. The next course of action to try to balance that out federally is through raised taxes. The money to pay those new government bills is going to have to come from somewhere, especially if you want a functional military to defend yourselves with. Volunteers aren't going to mean sh&% if the cartels south of ya decide "OOOH, look, easy n00b country pickins!" Cartels are a hell of a lot better armed than gun-happy Farmer Jack & Jill are, and tend to have serious weapons & tactics training under their belts. Cartels aside, you never know what Mexico might decide to do. They may see a prime opportunity for a land grab. Pssst! As corrupt as Mexico is, their army is bigger than Texas', and has more toys to lob at you.

Then you'll also have to figure out the diplomatic stuff like embassies. How to pay for them, staff them, how to get other countries to take you seriously with whatever you may need to negotiate on.

Just having ranches, fields and manufacturing plants isn't good enough. You need other resources other countries will be willing to buy. Not just willing to buy either, willing to pay what you need so you don't sink to 3rd world.

Have you even been to Mexico??? Firstly anything the mexi military has is an antique joke, they couldn't invade and hold a strip mall. Texas has god knows how many well trained militias(most of them former US armed forces). It ain't farmers jack and jill you gota worry about, it's cattle ranching former marine and his kids that have been taking down wild pigs and deer at 500 yards since they were 6 years old. I don't know about you but if you ain't never been there, stop talking while your ahead. I have been to some of the worst places in that crap hole called mexico they are no real threat. Ohh my julio has a 65 year old AK47 LOL
edit on 3-8-2015 by sycomix because: edited for broken sentence, hate trying to do 5 things at once, GRRR ATS at work = distraction LOL

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Please let me know when ANY state school starts teaching REAL science...

Jaden

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

ACtually, ALL of the states already ARE countries. That's what a state is. We are the united States of America. Many individual countries who agreed to live and work under a framework.

The problem is that, that framework is no longer being followed, which led to an attempt by some to secede from a no longer functioning agreement.

This has happened in the past and was met with the greatest death toll in the history of the USA.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

UMM, me thinks you need to read the constitution. The US does not own the troops and equipment in a given state. In fact, all officers of the armed forces are supposed to be sworn in by their state and remain stationed in their home state until and unless called to action in a declared war, but that's just one more thing that the Fed. Govt. has just ignored.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm sorry but if they had 9.1 billion in reserves, they never had a deficit.

Jaden

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
To Texas;
Please continue with your plans to cecede. Also, please open your border with Mexico and invite all their low-life scum into your ranks. But DO NOT come crawling back in a year or so when your economy has tanked.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

All the signature in Texas won't matter; contrary to popular myth, Texas does NOT have the legal right to secede nor has it ever. Ahhhh Texas. My home for a number of years. A shame they are tearing their own education system apart and that their own history is not commonly taught.... Texas entered the Union with the United States without any retained right to secede regardless of its brief time as an independent republic. It's simple historical fact and can be looked up... if any of the bozos signing up would take the time to do. Sorry! We're stuck with you!

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Did we have a long list of states try this a couple years ago? Nothing came up from that and I remember a few of them got the amount they shot for. But here we are still all in the same basket.

I do wonder what level of movement would be needed for a state to leave the union. But I don't see 81,000 people causing it or even getting the ball rolling.

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: circuitsports

Have you ever considered how big Texas is geographically? Texas was not formed and settled just by Texans. It was setlled by people from the south and north and beyond. New York is trying to live with such as diverse population in a teaspoon compared to Texas. Arrogancy has replaced common sense.

and here we go again ,,

Someone thinking in the box of just New York City

In a Tea Spoon ? Im from New York ! North Country New York is not all City's you know..

Hate to Break it to you ,

New York is Two Worlds

you have the City , the Urban and the COUNTRY "Farm Country" in Upstate New York as some call it the North Country
Like St Lawrence County. The Majority is Dairy Farm Land ..

Texas is Huge and and like the Same as New York with Two Worlds,
but in reverse ! Big Hats Cattle , Rodeo , Cowboy, not the City Life of Dallas, Corpus Christi, Houston

as Texas was once considered to be Divided into 5 states because of it being so huge ..

but all of Texas exception of a few Stragglers, have the Taste of the same Stereotypical RED-STATE Culture,
is what i have been seeing .

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

But the majority of population and jobs are in NYC, correct?

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: Wolfenz

But the majority of population and jobs are in NYC, correct?

New York City is the Most Dense Population .. City Wise..
that's correct

Defiantly NOT the Majority population of `all New York State.. a little less then half ,

but most forget that, 5 counties make up New York City of, 8.4 Million
Not One But 5 of them ,

Bronx County
Kings County
New York County
Queens County
Richmond County

Density by Poluation

New York State
andyarthur.org...

Texas Density
www.gis.ttu.edu...

Jobs with the equation of population Density . with NYC .. most think that's where all the Jobs are in the State
because of it, but most are forgetting about other major city's in New York Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester, Water town,
to name a few ,

List of cities in Texas by Population City
en.wikipedia.org...

List of cities in New York by Population City
en.wikipedia.org...

Jobs are Sporadic through out the State ..

The major here ( where Im From ) is Dairy farms , Industrial Plants , Manufacturing Plants, Prison's , Collages, in St Lawrence County NY .. boarding Canada , of Ontario, Quebec,

edit on 22015TuesdayfAmerica/Chicago8215 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24 >>

join