It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas will Secede from the Union, 81,000 signatures!

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: circuitsports

Have you ever considered how big Texas is geographically? Texas was not formed and settled just by Texans. It was setlled by people from the south and north and beyond. New York is trying to live with such as diverse population in a teaspoon compared to Texas. Arrogancy has replaced common sense.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That's why this keeps boiling down to the federal level. They can't be members of the United States of America without having to follow US federal law. That's the whole point in the United States.

The point of any association is mutual benefit. If any party believes the association is no longer a benefit, then that party has every natural right to separate.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Punisher75

I see I'll need to break it down further.

What happens to the Americans who still live in Texas after secession?

Dual citizenship or status as Americans living abroad.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
If so, WHO own's the military bases?
Are they going to get their money they demanded BEFORE or after they secede?
To WHO'M can I defect?

The US government would most likely keep them. Something to bargain with on both sides. Texas stays allied to the US and the US get to keep using the bases.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Why should American citizens be removed from or denied their property by an act of a foreign State?

Texas secession would improve the property rights of the individual. Secession could not happen any other way. The people ignoring or destroying property rights are all in favor of mega government. The Right to Own Oneself is most of the reason for secession.

Does the State of Texas own the land of all its citizens?

No. All ownership remains with the same parties.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

A petition has never been amounted to a hill of beans.

As if what the people of Texas or America itself want matters to the political class.

Only way it would ever possibly happen is if texans were to take up arms and kick the government out of Texas by force. These nationalists need a better game plan if they think this will go anywhere.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terminal1

originally posted by: Violater1
This is an updated story from earlier in The Huff Post and is dated today Aug 01, 2015. I had earlier this morning found this story in an AOL link, but it has now disappeared.
Texas Nationalist Movement has a petition for Texas secession an now qualifies for a response from the White House. www.huffingtonpost.com...< br /> The The Texas petition reads:

"Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect it's (sic) citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government."

I wonder what Texas would do with the 15 military posts and the economies that go with them?
I know Ft. Hood and Ft. Bliss are large. Not mentioning the airfields and armor?
If Texas were to break... would they have to give those up or would it be considered seizure...
Just curious....

Texas doesn't "have" those bases now. The bases would remain US Government property, just like they are now.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

That's why this keeps boiling down to the federal level. They can't be members of the United States of America without having to follow US federal law. That's the whole point in the United States.

The point of any association is mutual benefit. If any party believes the association is no longer a benefit, then that party has every natural right to separate.

If you've read my posts, I'm sure you're aware that I'm in favor of Texas leaving the Union. Losing all of those Texas votes in Congress would be amazing because it would create a permanent power shift to the left in national politics. So by all means, have at it. I promise you, I'm not trying to convince the Texas "nationalists" to stay.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: Wolfenz

When the south left the union they kept the constitution as it was currently set up so why dont this follow how a modern version of this would go?

No they didn't. They wrote their very own Constitution of the Confederate States of America. Here's an online version of it.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarthFazer
a reply to: Violater1

A petition has never been amounted to a hill of beans.

As if what the people of Texas or America itself want matters to the political class.

Only way it would ever possibly happen is if texans were to take up arms and kick the government out of Texas by force. These nationalists need a better game plan if they think this will go anywhere.

Well it is a 3 year old petition half signed by non Texans so nobody is really being serious about it. Just talking about it for fun.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

AND there we have it ,The country tears itself a part and a Prog is in favor of it because of politics.
VERY short sighted understanding of the game.
edit on 2-8-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Punisher75

I see I'll need to break it down further.

What happens to the Americans who still live in Texas after secession?

They would be ex-pat American citizens, still required to pay income tax but getting none of the funds back in the form of benefits.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: circuitsports
So much FUD in a single thread.

Texas wants it's rights back - period.

The border, welfare and the TSA are all federal programs - if Texas succeeded I think they would drive out people that don't want to be there and contribute, I don't find people in Texas to be anti black just anti slum, anti crook. The black people that aspire to be hood would not have a future in an independent Texas.

There biggest opponents often come from New York a place with some of the most expensive, smallest and most pointless living conditions without access to a yard or even sky for their children and little to no contact with there neighbors - it's easy to be bitter about anything living like that.

Wow. Why the race baiting? Also, black people make up something like 10% of Texans. Are you saying an independent Texas would pursue ethnic cleansing of black Texans?

For the record, "ethnic cleansing" doesn't mean "wholesale slaughter". Here's the United Nations' official definition of it from a 1993 report:

"the planned deliberate removal from a specific territory, persons of a particular ethnic group, by force or intimidation, in order to render that area ethnically homogenous."

And if the people of Texas are supposedly "anti-crook", why would they allow their notorious oil barons to stay? And if you actually look at the facts, it's not black people committing most of the crimes in Texas. Look up the demographics for Texas's domestic violence, child abuse, theft, drug use, tax evasion, and corruption stats (like money laundering, embezzlement, bribery, and fraud). But I guess those kinds of crooks are ok with you because they're not "hood"?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

No, THAT is eastside FT.Worth, around Teirney St.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

AND there we have it ,The country tears itself a part and a Prog is in favor of it because of politics.
VERY short sighted understanding of the game.

Wrong on all counts. I'm taking a very long sighted understanding "of the game". As I've already stated several times in this very thread, a US without Texas would make a permanent power shift to the Left. Then we could finally pass some real progressive policies, like high speed rail, a smart electric grid, universal health care, etc.

Also, you're being ridiculous. The Right has threatened secession for decades. And the yapping hit its peak right after Senator Obama was elected to the Presidency in 2008. So don't try to deflect this onto progressives just because we're happy to call your bluff.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

No, THAT is eastside FT.Worth, around Teirney St.

Huh? What are you responding to? Otherwise it just looks like you said some random words.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: crazyewok
Good for the USA without Texas they may be able to finally teach REAL science in state schools

Wow, that statement is almost as ignorant as you suppose Texans are

Its called humor..............

according to your avatar that should be spelled humour

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

No, it's just people responding to the pointless bluster that Texan's are so apt to spew.

Myself and many others on this thread have displayed no such thing..........only presented Ideas and facts from sources, and have been met with anger, vitriol and slander.......

Explain to me how thats justifiable in a discussion of a hypothetical?

edit on 8/2/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

If you've read my posts, I'm sure you're aware that I'm in favor of Texas leaving the Union. Losing all of those Texas votes in Congress would be amazing because it would create a permanent power shift to the left in national politics. So by all means, have at it. I promise you, I'm not trying to convince the Texas "nationalists" to stay.

Direct secession requires an esprit de corp close to zealous nationalism. I'm not sure that many individual rights would survive the extreme psychological conditions. Even if the rights survived in writing, social pressure would be very strong to follow along with the group.

In the best secession scenario, Texas and various other states continue to have growing economies, the US wants more control over them and tax revenue from them, but Nullification wins the day and US laws become unenforceable in various states and secession is achieved de facto.

The idea of nullification is straightforward and simple. Under the Constitution of the United States, certain limited powers are held by Washington, D.C. By default, all other powers rest in the individual states. The Founders understood the dangers of too much power being held by a central government, and they crafted the Constitution to ensure their newly emerging country would be protected from out-of-touch autocrats.
therighttobear.com...

11 States with Nullification movements

Article from 2013

edit on 2-8-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Why a petition to Washington?

As if they're gonna say, "yeah, go ahead"...

Why not petition and protest the Texan people for a referendum and then do it?

This is a ploy by the Washington watch list aggregators, to target those Texans naive enough to sign such a petition.

Good thing most people signing it were fools from outside of Texas that did so out of malice.

If this had been at all serious Texas would be occupied undercover and all opposition tracked or snuffed out.

edit on 2-8-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join