It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Little Green Men of Hopkinsville" - 60th Anniversary Reboot

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Good read. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Great Horned Owls and some Moonshine.....

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Lack of any real evidence at all just seems to make this a whole load of nothing.
Just a story of some rednecks shooting guns on their property.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamnotadoctor
Lack of any real evidence at all just seems to make this a whole load of nothing.
Just a story of some rednecks shooting guns on their property.

That's part of the point I've been banging on about through the thread.

This story has never been embellished like other more popular UFO stories.

Yet there is more in the original story about aliens than Roswell. Aliens that did not conform to the 1950s stereotypical 'humanoid' from a planet of the solar system.

With Roswell - a rancher found some sticks, tape, rubber and the "magical metal foil". The USAAF got over excited issuing a press release but then retracted it and it died there and then. But because Jesse Marcel blurted out 30 years later about the metal and a whole bunch of new witnesses declaring there were dead aliens a modern myth was born..But there really is nothing but a bunch of stories to go on.

Many people chose to believe Roswell was a real alien contact event because of the numerous anecdotal stories that came out 35+ years later. So much so that it is one of the great pillars of Ufology that can't be let go of. Had Jesse Marcel kept his mouth shut then where would ufology be?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Roswell (currently) remains at the pinnacle of all the alien conspiracy stories after it's late 1970s revival and 1980s 're-invention'. Kecksburg, Shag Harbour and a few other cases also had the limelight cast back on them during the 1990s. Meanwhile Rendlesham was rapidly developing during the 1980s and 1990s. Maybe one day it wil become the new Roswell.

imo serious interest in rendlesham has pretty much peaked - perhaps a bit more life in it from the psy-op angle, but that's a red herring (imo)

at best it's an 'odd lights in the sky' case - interesting from a psychology/sociology of ufology point of view (in so much as the developments in the story and the roles of the main characters are well documented)

if the 'nazi ufo' hypothesis had become the popular explanation for ufos rather than the eth i'd guess kecksburg would have become much more prominent
edit on 2-8-2015 by aynock because: filled out

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I thought I'd comment a bit more about the one line again,
"The men aim and fire and are amazed to hear a sound like bullets
striking metal as the creature starts floating to the ground like a falling leaf. ".

Now Karl has written about this quite a bit, both on and off ATS.
I love it when someone actually investigates a clue.. there ARE
clues.

Here is his main tread on ATS:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now I do not wish to derail this thread and go into all this in detail.
However if some people wish to write off the entire incident as
being a matter of drunk rednecks and some owls.. well..
I'm not aware that owls are bullet-proof and fall like leaves.
That would take some serious drunkedness.

But as to the 'falling like leaves part", that would at a minimum infer
that the 'alien' was of extreme low mass and/or had an extreme
surface to mass ratio. That's why leaves 'fall like leaves' - they
have a lot of surface ration for their mass, and thus air resistance
makes them fall slowly.

Well.

Some folks like to talk about anti-gravity technology when
explaining this mechanism for 'ships'.

So either the 'goblins' were ships (which crazily would also
account for the metallic bullet proof nature), or they
had very little (or no) matter at all.

Which would be the case if they were 'energy patterns'
and not matter at all.. which would also explain the
bullet-proof, but not the metallic sound.

But either way, a subtle clue like this takes the event
in a completely different direction than is commonly
discussed - but it should be discussed.

Now one last note;

en.wikipedia.org...(folklore)

These 'goblins' could have been some sort of remote
probe (with anti-gravity) as indicated above, but an
equally viable idea more fitting with many other
anomolous events, is that they were 'temporarily
materialized" so as to interact with the environment
rather like MiB or having a 'materialized' nature like
angel hair (or more specifically 'angel grass'):

en.wikipedia.org...(folklore)

But definitely not organic creatues of any kind,
whether little green men or owls or monkeys.

Assuming it was not a hoax, which seems
unlikely.

Kev

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: aynock

I still think Rendlesham is expanding it's narrative with the major witnesses starting to go in differing directions now. That may be the death of it as well.

I really thought there was something to Roswell when I was still a kid and Jesse Marcel appeared on TV. The world was a different place back in the late 70s as regards access to information and that only really changed at the end of the last century.

What is very obvious in the 21st century is that UFO landings and encounters with alien beings (like in the Hopkinsville case) just don't seem to be happening any more.
edit on 2/8/15 by mirageman because: correction

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
a reply to: aynock

I still think Rendlesham is expanding it's narrative with the major witnesses starting to go in differing directions now. That may be the death of it as well.

I really thought there was something to Roswell when I was still a kid and Jesse Marcel appeared on TV. The world was a different place back in the late 70s as regards access to information and that only really changed at the end of the last century.

What is very obvious in the 21st century is that UFO landings and encounters with alien beings (like in the Hopkinsville case) just don't seem to be happening any more.

That's very interesting from a psychological standpoint if true.
There seem to be millions (billions?) of people who are all but
praying to the 'UFOs' to come save us from ourselves.... much
higher than back then.

Kev

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

I have never believed ET is visiting us every day nor watches over the planet waiting for us to achieve a higher spiritual consciousness. But the Marcel and later upgrades to the Roswell story filtered across the Atlantic fairly quickly. I think I saw it on Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World TV series.

This was still at a time when you had to go and buy a book or magazine for the full story. Those publications tended to want to sell units and so were high on speculation and low on critical analysis and certainly didn't give a balanced view. Of course all this cost a lot of money as well when you are still in school. There were very few government documents released on UFOs at the time either. Even those that were available had to be obtained via a laborious process.

What I would also say is that here in Britain there are not too many people praying for aliens in UFOs to come and save the day. It seems Americans are a lot more receptive to these concepts and perhaps that's why the two Nicks, Redfern and Pope scampered across the Atlantic to peddle their wares?

edit on 2/8/15 by mirageman because: typos

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Yes..some quality research does come out
of the UK. UFO material in the USA tends
towards barrels of monkeys and 3 ring
circuses.

posted on Aug, 17 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hello Mirageman. Just wanna say thanks for a great post.. I have been a long "looker" on ats.. you have a great wave of writing and so on..

On to the topic, you said, that the attempt by the military, to answer this "myth" or real thing, was stupid.. But given the time, and having a circus there, could have been a ok idea.. just because the monkey was not properly investigated buy the us air force, does not implied that they are stupid. But rather maybe, as you said yourself, that this family was "looked down on".. and the military did't think the time spent on this case, was worth the real resources of either blue book or the local us air force..

ps english is not my mothers tongue..

So what do i personally belive.. hmm, there is just not a lot of evidence in this case, besides a weird story.. soo i cannot say yes to weird aliens or not.. but it does sounds like they saw something..

maybe they, just got worked up, and everybody at the house started to "see" strange creatures, and their minds played a trick on them.. it certainly happened to me in the darkness..
edit on 17-8-2015 by JoeHansen because: spelling errors...

a question, have these Creatures been reported else where?
edit on 17-8-2015 by JoeHansen because: put in a question

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JoeHansen

Hello Joe and welcome to ATS.

On to the topic, you said, that the attempt by the military, to answer this "myth" or real thing, was stupid..

The military, officially, did not conduct an investigation but Major John E.Albert dismissed it as Mrs Lankford seeing a silver monkey. Lankford did not see the creatures other than through windows. Only Elmer Sutton and Billy Ray Taylor saw them outside. There was a circus in town, the King Circus, but they verified that none of their animals had been missing.

Not only that a monkey would make an awful lot of noise and bleed when hit by a bullet. So the theory seems to be based on one person's testimony and she was not necessarily the best witness. The evidence suggests no monkeys (never mind one painted silver) could be placed at the scene so why should it be accepted?

I tend to think Elmer Sutton and Billy Ray Taylor may have seen something they believed to be strange creatures in the gloom and worked the other occupants up into a panic once they began shooting. The story is still a well known tale 60 years later. But as you say, there is not a lot of evidence.

a question, have these Creatures been reported else where?

Another member kindly provided me with this artwork by Hannes Vajn Bok taken from a back cover of magazine Destiny #10 around the time of the incident.

As for other cases. I will have to come back on that one as all sorts of weird creatures were being reported during the 1950s - 1970s.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Frederic Brown 1954

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Thanks for that. Perhaps the boys had been reading a little of the pulp fiction of the day hey?

There is a similar, if not exactly the same, type of alien reported from 1975 in Kofu Japan.

Feb 23rd, 1975, just before 7:00pm two 7 year old Japanese schoolboys spotted a UFO split from a larger craft and land in a vineyard. It settled down on tripod legs and a strange creature came down on a ladder through a hatch in the craft. They said this creature was long-armed, almost 4-feet tall and was clad in a “glowing” or reflective silver uniform. All vaguely similar to Kelly. Another creature appeared to have remained on board the craft.

Unfortunately the two 7 year old boys were the only ones to have seen the creatures and the 'official conclusion' was that the boys had seen a YS-ll propeller plane without mentioning the creatures. Also school officials arrived at the scene the following day and observed two solid concrete posts had been knocked over at the landing site. Something they thought would have been impossible for the two 7 year olds to achieve.

Source : www.americanmonsters.com...

Again not a lot of real evidence to go on. Knocked over posts prove nothing more than something or someone knocked them over. Plus when you are 7 your imagination can run wild.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

The fact that people only see anthropomorphic 'aliens' has always been telling to me...

If any 'real aliens' were to ever land on the white house lawn I'd wager a months salary they would NOT be anthropomorphic, not even as 'an illusion to comfort us'.

Kev

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I wonder what the cultural or psychological difference was in the 50s to shape perception that way? Maybe people see orbs now, to avoid being teased about little green men?

I'm not saying that there is not at times a base for unusual phenomenon mind you....but perception and reality are two different things.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
awesome write up, Mirageman, thanks you..
nice nostalgic return to the sort of OP that first attracted us to this site many years ago.

this was the first case that ever really caught me as a young girl
and no doubt kick-started my total descent into the state of raving UFO-lunacy i now live in..
my grandparents had some sort of My First Book of Crazy Space Stuff that i would leaf through every weekend
and i'd read the single paragraph write-up and stare at the glossy painting of the goblin creature and hide out of sight of windows feeling discomforted for hours and hours.

I'm really glad others have noticed the disparity with Roswell and mythology, i've been scratching my head about that for years.
The details are still pretty much exactly as they were all those years ago, and that is such a rarity as to make it almost suspicious.
Not as suspicious as that monkey explanation though - i mean come on that alone is almost enough to make me think something MUST have happened.

edit on 18-8-2015 by continuousThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: KellyPrettyBear

I wasn't around but I suspect our limited knowledge of the nearby planets, let alone the universe had a lot to do with shaping some views. The 1950s - 1970s were also a fertile period for science fiction books, mags and comics. That probably had a heavy influence too as you can see from some of the posts in the thread.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown
I just wanna say... And BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

That is one of the best prepared and presented threads on ATS in a loooonnnggggg time... Thank you for you hard work!

i gotta agree. But this is the best thread i've seen here and one of the best mysterious topics i iever saw.

posted on Aug, 18 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Thank you for you kind words continuousThunder.

It's strange how a case that has always been about "little green men" remains part of the UFO lore but is left in a time capsule. Nothing new has really been added. Yet it remains folklore to most UFO researchers. Despite for a quarter century overshadowing Roswell with the involvement of aliens.

Roswell had the little 'grey' men stories added much later by various people. A lot of them associated with the military.

As you may have noticed in the crazy world of ufology military witnesses are telling the truth when it's about aliens on earth. Well except when they are covering up the truth about aliensl. That's how reliable the military really are.

Roswell is whatever you want to make of it these days.

The Kelly case, I don't know. It seems to be ridiculous. But maybe we just don't understand what was going and maybe never will.

edit on 18/8/15 by mirageman because: typo

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join