It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satan statue unveiled in Detroit.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That's exactly what they're doing.

I suppose there is something to be said for shock value. I just question their sincerity. Either way, they have the same rights as any other religious group in this country.

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Klassified

I think that's exactly what they're doing. I don't think supporters of the statue or Satanists/Luciferians etc... actually worship Satan but by bringing something so reprehensible to Christians and trying to get the image of Baphomet included in our federal/state buildings... they challenge their grip on government and demonstrate exactly why separation of Church and State needs to exist.

They do seem to be an actual sect of Satanism. I personally, don't have an issue with Satanism at this point in my life. As I said above. They have rights too. Maybe I'm wrong about their intent. I would like to think so.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i dont get why these satanists dress the way they do.
catholics, christians, etc.....they dress normal.

these dudes though with their horns and lame ass black nail polish and makeup and slayer shirts are lame as hell.

i cant take them seriously

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: Isurrender73

The bible is a self hating scripture, that deems all humans unworthy and disgusting and inherently evil. Yes for as much the message of love is preached in the gospels much self hatred and self loathing as well, infact I would call the bible nihilistic and negative and the impacts such literature in truly believing all of it's words can be devastating. But to each there own.

All religion fails in it's own way I'm specifically talking about the bible because you brought it up.

In the past I might have agreed with you, but not for long. There was only a small window when I was a confident non-believer. And moreso, I started to think maybe religion wasn't a bad thing. Right now I am a self-described agnostic atheist, meaning I deny knowledge of God, not God.

What do I think now? I think faith of any kind, be it religious or even tied to science, is at its root a instinctive mechanism against death anxiety. I know many religious and secular people will deny any fear of death, but studies show people tend to have a subconscious response when presented with things which remind them of their own inevitable death (or maybe the death of others). The individual doesn't experience anxiety directly but instead has renewed vigor in their faith. Secular people will reaffirm their faith in science, so even people who claim to be atheist do in fact have a belief system. And yet even atheists hesitate slightly longer than normal to deny the existence of god when they're primed for death anxeity. This hints that some atheists either don't have a strong faith in anything or perhaps everybody has an innate desire to believe in a god or at least be less inclined to deny it when reminded of death?

To be fair, I'll provide some supporting links:
www.sciencedaily.com - Death anxiety increases atheists' unconscious belief in God...
phys.org - Death anxiety prompts people to believe in intelligent design, reject evolution: research...
(Note: The title of the above link is misleading because the study also found people who were shown writings by Carl Sagan had reduced belief in intelligent design and stronger beliefs in the scientific study of nature. This hinted people can have faith in naturalism and not necessarily need intelligent design--to cope with death anxiety.)
www.sciencedirect.com - Scientific faith: Belief in science increases in the face of stress and existential anxiety...
edit on 1-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

The Satanists put up the statue of Baphomat.

Here are the basic societal norms they advocate: "We see the universe as being indifferent to us, and so all morals and values are subjective human constructions. Our position is to be self-centered, with ourselves being the most important person (the “God”) of our subjective universe...." www.churchofsatan.com...

I'll leave this because Caladonea addressed it on the previous page.

What norms do you want to see thrown out that you consider wrong? If it is legal but people object to it, that doesn't count because if the law allows something then it is a societal norm that all must abide by even if they don't accept it.

I wasn't thinking anything specific at the time. But things like gay marriage, blue laws, atheists not being able to hold public office in several states.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
I suppose there is something to be said for shock value. I just question their sincerity.

Their sincerity to challenge the laws? I think that's genuine.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

The Satanists put up the statue of Baphomat.

Here are the basic societal norms they advocate: "We see the universe as being indifferent to us, and so all morals and values are subjective human constructions. Our position is to be self-centered, with ourselves being the most important person (the “God”) of our subjective universe...." www.churchofsatan.com...

I'll leave this because Caladonea addressed it on the previous page.

What norms do you want to see thrown out that you consider wrong? If it is legal but people object to it, that doesn't count because if the law allows something then it is a societal norm that all must abide by even if they don't accept it.

I wasn't thinking anything specific at the time. But things like gay marriage, blue laws, atheists not being able to hold public office in several states.

Gay marriage is legal, doesn't matter what people think, society has spoken and the social norm is now for gay marriage.

What blue laws? I am not aware that any state still has blue laws, I may be wrong and you can correct me. But I am not aware of any.

Has any atheist been actually denied office in the past 10 years simply for being atheist? If so please find the link and reference. But I think that is an old law that is currently ignored. If challenged, I imagine it would be thrown out faster than the speed of light.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
My opinion is Detroit has been a hell hole for ages , it was only a matter of time before they erected a statue to its leader

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen
On july 15 this stature was unveiled by the satanist community and has plans to be positioned right beside the 10 commandments in Oklahoma state capitol.

Im just curious to see what everyone here has to say about this and the discussion that pro seeds.

God or the Devil. Just like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Tooth Fairy also comes to mind.

Who cares? I don't. Religious freedom in the USA no matter whether you worship Lucifer (the morning star, remember he was an angel that questioned God), Oden or Ra. All religions are welcome, not just the socially acceptable ones like Christianity and Islamic.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

these dudes though with their horns and lame ass black nail polish and makeup and slayer shirts are lame as hell.

i cant take them seriously

You don't get dressed up "for church"?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Normal just means doing what everyone else is doing. Not sure why you are against people being themselves instead of doing what everyone else is.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
that's so sweet how they kiss right after. its a nice warm feeling to be free.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Satanists would absolutely agree with your first and second lines. Well, most of them.

Do the folks in the video look ludicrous to you; good, then you got about half of "the point."

The point is that religion is ludicrous, they're just holding up a mirror to society.

You're being intentionally disingenuous about Christianity and Islam "not being welcome" in the USA.
edit on 14Sat, 01 Aug 2015 14:12:09 -050015p022015866 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I have read all the posts
several times, thank you.

No one, as you are told over and
over and over and over is
upset by your ... thoughts.

No one, is trying to keep you from
posting whatever you wish.

Believe me, I find many of your
expressions a hundred-fold more
absurd than kids with eyeliner
and horns glued to their forehead.

You don't make me (or I wager)
anyone else here "upset"
you repeat that almost as a
mantra, because you can't
or won't accept that others
find your ideas, not you,
but your ideas, at times,
foolish or lacking or poorly expressed.

As some do mine.
As some do everyone's.

You waste so much screen proclaiming that you
have freedom to post what you wish, and, within
the rules of this site, you do.

You need to accept that others
also have that same freedom, and just as much of it ...
including the freedom to disagree with you,
including the freedom to think poorly of you,
including the freedom to express that in posts,
(again within the Terms and Conditions).

Perhaps you should listen to the Libertarians: "live and let live."

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

i never said i was against how they dress.
i said i cant take them seriously.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Satanists would absolutely agree with your first and second lines. Well, most of them.

Do the folks in the video look ludicrous to you; good, then you got about half of "the point."

The point is that religion is ludicrous, they're just holding up a mirror to society.

You're being intentionally disingenuous about Christianity and Islam "not being welcome" in the USA.

You and I are in agreement when it comes to organized religion. Those two religions are as welcome as any, however, the latter gets a black eye because of its connections to its terrorist extreme brothers and sisters (Christianity also has its extremist). However, both, are organized religions created to make you obey.
edit on 1-8-2015 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2015 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk

originally posted by: Gryphon66

You and I are in agreement when it comes to organized religion. Those two religions are as welcome as any, however, the latter gets a black eye because of its connections to its terrorist extreme brothers and sisters (Christianity also has its extremist). However, both, are organized religions created to make you obey.

Bingo-bango. What you're saying is much more clear now.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

im sure they dont take you seriously either lol

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
in fairness.. If the 10 commandments can be publicly displayed, so can this statue, to say it can't is discrimination... imo

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Just watched the videos again:

"It's our freedom of religion to protest their religion."

No, that's your freedom of speech.

"I don't think that they should have a religion that makes fun of other people's religion."

Well, that's why it's called FREEDOM of religion ... you don't have to like it.

Seriously, I don't think this could have gone better for The Satanic Temple.

It's doing exactly what they wanted ... including the histrionics on the part of Christians. Honestly, I was torn between laughter and tears for the extent of the reaction. The fears generated by religion is so, so sad to me. Ah well, their choice.

As art goes, I love the Statue of Baphomet, but I wish it could go into one of the Temple's locations, rather than any public square, where zealots will simply destroy it.
edit on 15Sat, 01 Aug 2015 15:14:03 -050015p032015866 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Has any atheist been actually denied office in the past 10 years simply for being atheist? If so please find the link and reference. But I think that is an old law that is currently ignored. If challenged, I imagine it would be thrown out faster than the speed of light.

None that I know of have actually been refused, but Cecil Bothwell was challenged by NC constitution in 2009, which says no atheist can hold office in that state(+6 others). He did get the seat, after some harassment.

The county I live in still observes no liquor sales on Sunday.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join