It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When God Dies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
When it happens, will God go out with a Big Bang or with a silent whimper, its vacant skeleton haunting nothingness for eternity?

Mankind has the tiniest fraction of understanding of life and death, because we woke up in the middle of it all. We can't find a beginning or an end to life, so we define arbitrary positions, like conception and death. But conception, birth, the first breath, the last breath, the last heart beat, the final brain waves flat line......none of these represent a true beginning or the end, they represent a point within a closed cycle. What we define as death is far from it. Organic life feeds off itself and regenerates through death, thus life appears to be an eternal cycle.

The Holy Books tells us God is Life. The sages tell us we're made in God's image. They say "As Above, So below". They tell us that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Why shouldn't the same be true of God? When God dies, God's death, must therefore, give rise to life. Like our bodies, it follows that God's corpse will feed a greater cycle, yet unperceivable to us.

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

edit on 1-8-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

What if God is a force? Can a force die? Can one kill gravity, or electromagnetism? What if God actually is a yet-undiscovered force which counteracts chaos? Maybe God is a fine-tuning constant?

I fear you might attribute too much anthropomorphism to God (if he exists). I mean this in the kindest way.

S&F for the thought-provoking thread though!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

What if God is a force that inhabits the body of the Universe, and we are a force that inhabits our own organic bodies, which reflect the force of God? What happens to the "force" that propels our bodies, when it leaves our bodies? What will happen to the "force" that inhabits the Universe it leaves its body?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Be a heck of a big burial plot, tell you that with a straight face and a tellmaster watching the big clock.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
What if God is the space in which everything appears?
Can that which doesn't appear ever disappear?
Only things which appear (born) can disappear (die).

This ever present space is constantly appearing different.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
originally posted by: windword

The sages tell us we're made in God's image. They say "As Above, So below". They tell us that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Why shouldn't the same be true of God? When God dies, God's death, must therefore, give rise to life. Like our bodies, it follows that God's corpse will feed a greater cycle, yet unperceivable to us.

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."

Im trying to grasp where you are going, cause i dont think it was the sages that said we were made in Gods image, i believe Judaism did in a theocracy fashion, with a human deity as a divine God.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DiddyMcC0y

Judaism may have coined the phrase, but isn't responsible for the birth of the concept, "In God's Image". "As above So below" is basically the same philosophy and be traced back through streams of Egyptian, Hellenistic and Zoroastrian Hermetic traditions.

ETA: And, yes, there are/have been Jewish sages.

edit on 1-8-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

As above so below is actually reference to saturn, in ancient times they Believed "the supernatural being of God was Saturn since it almost looked still in the night sky it moved but not noticable to a human eye" and the human deity was the Sun. The concept In Gods image is that God is a human with certain traits as a human doesnt posses, like the rules of Camelot, or as you call them Ideals. The traditions is alot further back, just that it wouldnt make sense, cause we live in a Human deity era.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

ETA: And, yes, there are/have been Jewish sages.

I call them priests

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

This thread isn't about mythology. It's an exercise in philosophy. Can you dig it?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

This thread isn't about mythology. It's an exercise in philosophy. Can you dig it?

Nihilism You are welcome!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Thanks for throwing out a word that has nothing to do with the OP.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   

When God died ?
Seems to me we live in a pretty Godless world.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
mankind has the thinnest fraction of understanding because of his fallen heart....but one can understand that God can't die...how friggin stupid is that.
so just the title man...op....makes us wonder who you pray to...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

edit on 1-8-2015 by DiddyMcC0y because: wrong person

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

a reply to: gortex

When it happens, will God go out with a Big Bang or with a silent whimper, its vacant skeleton haunting nothingness for eternity? Mankind has the tiniest fraction of understanding of life and death, because we woke up in the middle of it all. We can't find a beginning or an end to life, so we define arbitrary positions, like conception and death. But conception, birth, the first breath, the last breath, the last heart beat, the final brain waves flat line......none of these represent a true beginning or the end, they represent a point within a closed cycle. What we define as death is far from it. Organic life feeds off itself and regenerates through death, thus life appears to be an eternal cycle.

Existential nihilism is the belief that life has no intrinsic meaning or value. With respect to the universe, existential nihilism posits that a single human or even the entire human species is insignificant, without purpose and unlikely to change in the totality of existence. The meaninglessness of life is largely explored in the philosophical school of existentialism.

It is a philosophy debate, just try and listen to another person instead of your own thoughts

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

It is a philosophy debate, just try and listen to another person instead of your own thoughts

I'm listening. So, what are you trying to say. I think you have me confused with Nietzsche, because there is nothing nihilistic in my OP. Perhaps nihilism is YOUR thing? Is Nihilism your answer to my OP?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Guten Morgen- You might also research the words "As Above, So Below" as it relates to the Apollo 11 space mission. See what lined up when Alan Shepard made the leap. See what would have pierced Mr. Shepard's skull if You were to put the Moon/Mother Earth together...

namaste

•••• SPOILER ••••

You ARE a piece of God (Hunab Ku) and You're now working Your way back from whence You came, just like the last human You saw in a "skin suit" that You argued/fought with. When You argued with 'them' You argued with Your own Self...
"They" are the 'other You'... Some will sabotage their own path and trip along the way, that is "fine" get 'em next time...

Have a nice trip and stay hydrated.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It seems to me that anything I can conceive of as "being a god" would have actually "died" at the Moment of Creation.

Prior to "the Big Bang" there really is, at least as far as we here are concerned, nothing like "time" or "reality."

That point, that Moment is the last "time" it was really reasonable to talk about "one thing" or "a unity" in any way other than semantically.

VIewed metaphorically (which is no better or worse than anything else, as long as we don't confuse metaphor with science) then, the god's dying words might have been "let there be ... " and there was.

Light, time, space, reality, matter, energy, expansion, ... and the subsequent formation of structures of everything from galaxies to us to microbes ... would then be the Child of that Unity.

That might be "a god" I could believe in, LOL.

Thanks Windword for your rather amazing thoughts!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

When it happens, will God go out with a Big Bang or with a silent whimper, its vacant skeleton haunting nothingness for eternity?

The only thing that dies is ones preconceived notions, usually by mass slaughter in war where one sides 'god' triumphs over another sides god.

The King is dead, long live the King.

The whole time we have been hoodwinked into believing that our God is better than theirs and they need to be punished for worshipping their false god.

We have been lead away from our reason to treat each other humanely, in the name of the flag, pride, nationalism or any other ism.

Try and remember that when the s*** hits your fan.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join