It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacific trade talks fail to end in TPP deal !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I am actually kinda surprised and pleased with this announcement simply because if it was something good then I doubt there would be all the secrecy even from our congress critters.. By the end of the article I was pleased to see at least one other person agrees with me..

WASHINGTON - Delegates negotiating a huge Pacific free-trade agreement failed to reach a final deal Friday after several days of intense talks in Hawaii, in a setback to US President Barack Obama.

The 12 countries involved have faced criticism for carrying out their negotiations in what opponents have charged is a high level of secrecy.

Its many critics say the proposals indicate a deal moving more toward protection than free trade; one more about corporate benefits than boosting economies and development.

"And with opposition building in many countries there are reduced chances that a deal will ever be reached on a pact that US Trade Representative Michael Froman declared to be in its 'end game' in 2013 but that has become ever more controversial since.

"It's good news for people and the planet that no deal was done at this final do-or-die meeting given the TPP's threats to jobs, wages, safe food, affordable medicines and more."

- See more at: news.asiaone.com...

business.asiaone.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
An illusionist might call this part the prestige.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I think the TPP was a attempt to isolate China and stop what they have had in the works for some time now . The TPP was a big carrot for those willing to go along but is probably too little too late .It will be interesting to watch now that Iran has been opened up again .I am thinking that the New Silk Road and all the Countries wanting to participate will create their own version of the war on terror .New roads new pipelines new monetary system . Things they are a changing ..

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Thank goodness!

Every blow struck against protectionism is a step toward actual free trade.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
An illusionist might call this part the prestige.

It's certainly true that frequently a terrible piece of legislation tanks and they just rush through an equivalent in the dark of night.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I'm not trying to down-play the 'win' that this failure suggests....however, this agreement seems to be merely a formalized version of what already exists.

Rather than up front with official gov't sanction, we remain with the same results via the usual backdoor agreements.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is a great way to "silence" the opposition.

Wanna bet they found alternative methods to get what they want?

Clever.

Plan B on the way, and we won't ever know much about that either.

Never lose site of who we are dealing with and the deceptions they cast.

Four moves from Checkmate instead of three.

top topics

join