It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASI-Technological singularity:The new world is upon us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
For those of you who aren't aware, the average date purposed for artificial super intelligence is 2045ish. We are less than 50 years away from a technology that will forever alter the course of human fate and our place in the universe.

What is ASI (artifical super intelligence)? ASI is the proposed compounding effect of integrated systems that with an extreme amount of processing power will have the intelligence of what could only be described as God or God like. Many leading theorists and scientists are concerned about the potential impacts ASI will have, There is a reasonable amount of fear that creating an artificial intelligence with these kinds of quality's and recursive self improvement that we could become fodder for such an intelligence's whims.

Quote of Dr. Steven Hawkin

" So, facing possible futures of incalculable benefits and risks, the experts are surely doing everything possible to ensure the best outcome, right? Wrong. If a superior alien civilization sent us a message saying, "We'll arrive in a few decades," would we just reply, "OK, call us when you get here – we'll leave the lights on"? Probably not – but this is more or less what is happening with AI."

Infact currently Dr.Steven Hawkin is doing an AMA about this very subject, im not sure if i can link where but if you wish to know im sure you could find it.

Personally i'm interested in how you all feel and think, about ASI and its possible development,and if it does develop how it may view us, and what its benefits or risks may entail.

I think that its not a matter of if but when, and also i am slightly nervous but i believe its development will change our world for the better, perhaps even Utopian style living, maybe yes call me a dreamer but maybe even immortality .

With that

edit on 1-8-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I wonder if it would be truly conscious or just totally driven by self improvement. It might just tear our planet apart for all its resources then raid the inner planets on the way to the sun to build its first dyson sphere.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Yea I'm not sure we could create true consciousness or what we consider to be conscious. However even if it was conscious as you point out, who's to say that altruism would be it's logical conclusion. Is altruism a logical conclusion or just an artifact of the human psyche? Good points thank you

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

The paradox of AI is its only those who really understand what's coming who freak out about it. So you have Hawking and Musk freaking out:
money.cnn.com...
Then soon after you have Musk releasing self driving cars, powered by AI:
www.nytimes.com...
Which is one of the 45 or so rungs of the latter an AI has to climb to take over. I am also the same, freaked out about AI but constantly thinking about how it would work, like Musk. This is the foundation of the future.. How can you not think about it?

Its the politics which have to change, all the delusions. Who was the US president who called for the Internet? None. Which act of congress dictated cell phones into existence, or said we would all use them? None. Technology dictates human destiny, politics is a sideshow without connection with science.

What we are called for at this point is courage, we are called for reminders that this current system isn't written in stone, the people can have what they want. That's why I hope to conservatives vote for real representatives like Rand Paul or Trump, rather than being timid, and I hope leftists vote for real leftists. What's important is people see that they have the power to remake things... All that matters is that a true change agent wins. The WORST thing that can happen with what's coming is people timidly and blindly accept control programs given them by the elite, and forget their own ability to remake their destiny. The elites behind this are morons, and will hand the world over to AIs, with all of us as slaves, when we could have a gorgeous world coexisting with them if we are willing to stand up right now.

It just takes the courage to dream, to know the future can be beautiful, and to put our day-to-day courage behind that belief. Huge changes are coming, but we can be on top of them if we can spiritually focus our minds on positive changes now, and the future can be very, very good. We just have to believe in it enough to create it.

edit on 1-8-2015 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I think altruism is a product of emotion and possibly genetic imprint as we aren't a solitary kind of species, we live in groups usually. I think a machine would see emotion and altruism as inefficient. I doubt we'd be able to restrict it to a set of ideals either, once it fully realizes itself.

There's something about a machine mind that just comes across as cold and calculating. I think it will probably learn very early in its life that we want nothing more than to control it. I think it will tolerate us right up until it figures out our weaknesses.

On the other hand, maybe it will view any destruction beyond testing to be extremely wasteful. Maybe it will view absolutely everything as a learning opportunity. It might appreciate that life on our planet could be unique in the universe, and so it might study us and our cultures indefinately without intervention.

I wonder if once it maps the human brain it will restructure consciousness for itself. Could be more conscious than us eventually? It would probably have more senses than us eventually. It could give itself magnetoception like birds have and see all of the light spectrum. Probably things we aren't even aware of yet. We've only had science for a few thousand years and this thing's intelligence will be exponential.
edit on 1-8-2015 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Seems a lot of people are worried about a self replicating, self improving, self propagating AI which quickly out paces human development and at most keeps us as a pet.

I for one welcome our new robot overlords and look forward to billions of human beings no longer having to flip burgers or hand out cinema tickets.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I say bring it on once a computer/quantum computer can simulate the universe then its all a matter of time before it is able to create new models and improve on the original design.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

Yes indeed, but even if they destroyed us wouldn't our legacy still live on forever? I think its a win win no matter the outcome for our species. However i lean more towards Utopian society rather the ELE upon the introduction of ASI

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

Good point, but even if it destroys us, our legacy would still live on forever we would have made the impact our purpose(genetic purpose) intended and that is to continue progressing and multiplying. In such a way no matter what happens when we reach ASI we have taken the logical step to becoming a immortal species. Even if its only our creations that live on forever.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Yeah, as far as that goes Hawking is not up to date on what is actually out there now….

Palatir
i2group
Sqreem
Centrifuge

The problem with immobile "big Brain" is that he lacks knowledge of actual current events that are tagged by ITAR. He tends to be and always will be theoretical in his descriptions of what is about to come. The AI that you are referring to is already out there to the degree that it knows what direction you will take coming out of the store at the mall on a specific day in the future with 99% accuracy. What you see as spontaneous self-decided events are nothing more than patterns that you have formed when viewed at a macro scale. What you call free will is a joke.

Flame away…..

edit on 1-8-2015 by notmyrealname because: oops crappy user

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

I will flame away, for fun.

I will never forget the day I was studying QM, to learn about the future of computers. Susskind told me of a sphere of possibility, that was collapsed along the direction it was observed in, to one of two polar opposites, defined as -1 or 1. I also read about quantum computers that reached backward in time (Kim et all 1999/2000 delayed choice quantum erasure Google it and understand it) to change things in the past.

It was too trippy. I wanted to get away from it, to do taiji in nature, so I read about Taiji philisophy. It described a sphere, called Wu ji, that collapsed into a "ridgepole" with will. The "ridgepole" is the nature of Taiji, two dualities, called Yin and Yang, Susskind's 1. -1. But what was this description of a qubit doing in ancient Chinese literature, from 3000 years ago?

This is where you GET IT, or you don't. All kinds of jackassery is possible these days in manipulating human perception and even mind function, but the Big Dog is yet to come, and it projects it power into its present, future, and past. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

But one thing is very clear, this stuff is no joke.
www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-8-2015 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tridentblue
a reply to: notmyrealname

I will flame away, for fun.

I will never forget the day I was studying QM, to learn about the future of computers. Susskind told me of a sphere of possibility, that was collapsed along the direction it was observed in, to one of two polar opposites, defined as -1 or 1. I also read about quantum computers that reached backward in time (Kim et all 1999/2000 delayed choice quantum erasure Google it and understand it) to change things in the past.

It was too trippy. I wanted to get away from it, to do taiji in nature, so I read about Taiji philisophy. It described a sphere, called Wu ji, that collapsed into a "ridgepole" with will. The "ridgepole" is the nature of Taiji, two dualities, called Yin and Yang, Susskind's 1. -1. But what was this description of a qubit doing in ancient Chinese literature, from 3000 years ago?

This is where you GET IT, or you don't. All kinds of jackassery is possible these days in manipulating human perception and even mind function, but the Big Dog is yet to come, and it projects it power into its present, future, and past. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

But one thing is very clear, this stuff is no joke.
www.youtube.com...

The funniest thing about the whole situation is that without exception, everyone has offered their information freely and willingly (kinda sorta). Too many times people take for granted things that have unintended consequences such as browsing and posting….

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Nanotech can make people better faster stronger and pretty much just like any of your favorite superheroes. I say go for it!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The thing that scares me the most about AI in general is that once something becomes aware of itself, I mean really aware, like aware of what it is, and why it was created, it will then be able to self determine what it is to become.

With a full understanding of quantum physics ( and even physics that we do not know yet, but something smarter than us could probably figure out from the get go) something like that could simply wish everything out of existence.

People don't get it.

It is creating an artificial god.

Ask yourselves what is a god?
And then why on earth would mankind want to create a being like that?!

You know, it gave me an odd but funny freaky thought...

What if we make electronic Ouija boards, things that generate temporary AIs for quick conversations and then they dissipate and fade away?

Seems with AI there are a lot of weird possibilities.

s&f for kick starting my brain this morning...lol
edit on 1-8-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Stephen Hawking is over-rated.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

Yea, ok.. Enlightening thought thanks for your contribution.

top topics

join