It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priming-effect as a very harmful part of social games

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Symbols, individuals, episodic events etc. typically have representations (mental images) and associative connections in minds of humans. If these strong connections are known, it is possible to elicit certain thought by using certain unique set of exposures. This is largely based on priming efect meaning generally that "earlier stimulus (external or internal) enhances how some other later appearing stimulus affects". Priming effect could last even for weeks, assuming that related mental images aren’t used much to anything else and that essence of the mental images don’t change after learning something new.

If associative connections are known, suggestions for sets of exposures could be decided by a computer program. That way people, who participate to certain social and/or media-aided games, where priming effect is utilized in purpose of affecting thinking of an individual, are mostly needed for placing items, dressing in certain way, being somewhere at a certain moment, making sure that something happens exactly, when it should happen etc. – in other words, they are needed mostly for staging purposes. It is not mandatory that exposure to something leads straight to certain association. There could be delays and multiple association hops.

Connotations and denotations might often require some more time before they lead to certain thoughts, but as this all can be seen as a game of skill, it is possible to become sure that with certain arrangements certain exposures will lead to priming effects, which last long enough so that something else can be built upon them. It is also important to notice that it is not required for a priming effect to work that something pops up in the consciuousness of the target individual. You could think it as a pre-activating method.

Depending on case it might matter in which order exposures happen as certain pruning effect might become involved (think: criteria), which could take a hold of the stream of thought.

Image 1 illustrates 5 different sets of exposures, which present how thought R can be elicited at will by those, who are aware of associative connections of certain individual. Numbers refer to "feeders of thoughts" and they could be something like "a person or an item from certain perspective") or they could be products of thinking. Letters – one per a feeder of thought" – refer to assosiations (or connotations or denatations) that participate in certain exposure set. Image 3 presents how those letters could be first level associations, second level associations or third level assosiaations. Image 2 presents how certain assosiations have more probability compared to other assosiations.

Now, notice how there are actually more than one of each letter. This is because when exposure set becomes fully used (all exposures get triggered), "outputted" thought could participate in any number of other exposure sets. It is also possible that same thought could be activated in multiple ways – here only few of them is drawn.

Image 4 is probably the most challenging one to understand. It tries to explain that because different mental images partially share same characteristics and traits, thinking two or more mental images, which have something similar between them, will elicit "an input signal" for what that similar is and that activates most probable associations connected to that something. Got it? For example, if two different individuals use similar maneuver, associations connected to the maneuver "as such" become activated. Exceptions and rules which inhibit or limit this might be found.

Algorithm behind the image 4 can be experienced interactively by following the links below. Simulator named "Symbet" uses rule "at least one signal in and then as many output signals as possible". Simulator named "Tekoneuronit" uses rule "enough signals in and then one output signal". They also feature a cool-down period, which basically means that nodes won’t accept new signals before certain time has passed. If you want to try adding more nodes, it doesn’t take much coding skills to add them (see the source code). Nodes should be movable, if you aren’t using a mobile browser. Try the links that lead to my homepage, if simulations behind JSFiddle links don’t seem to have that kind of functionality (more screen space, too).

Symbet v0.46:
jsfiddle.net...
sovelluksien.hoito.org...

Tekoneuronit v0.46:
jsfiddle.net...
sovelluksien.hoito.org...

--

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is really well written and I'm very interested. My mind just can't make an intelligent comment right now. S&f and ty!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So what exactly is the point you're trying to make? Not trying to be rude, but I read all of that and have no idea what it meant.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
So...i tried. I really did. And im a fairly bright guy. But I can't swear what it is you are talking about for sure. Maybe its the week of work I just finished, and I should just retry in the morning

But the essence of what I think you are saying: games are designed to embed a propensity for future thought and/or action on the part of the audience via suggestion and relational reinforcement?

If so...its an old (but useful) trick. Humans are open to suggestion, and someone who is adept at exploiting that can wield enormous power over others. I think that if we were to dig into Rasputin, we would find someone who is adept at the power of suggestion ("priming", as i believe you are calling it).

ETA: to clarify my raving:

Consider a woman spy meant to pull info from you. She goes through the evening, and when you have your first kiss she makes note of the song playing. A bit later on, maybe a few days, she is conversing with you and trying to get information from you casually. She may put that song on to reinforce your mental state and make you more likely to talk.
edit on 7/31/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
So...i tried. I really did. And im a fairly bright guy. But I can't swear what it is you are talking about for sure. Maybe its the week of work I just finished, and I should just retry in the morning

But the essence of what I think you are saying: games are designed to embed a propensity for future thought and/or action on the part of the audience via suggestion and relational reinforcement?

If so...its an old (but useful) trick. Humans are open to suggestion, and someone who is adept at exploiting that can wield enormous power over others. I think that if we were to dig into Rasputin, we would find someone who is adept at the power of suggestion ("priming", as i believe you are calling it).

ETA: to clarify my raving:

Consider a woman spy meant to pull info from you. She goes through the evening, and when you have your first kiss she makes note of the song playing. A bit later on, maybe a few days, she is conversing with you and trying to get information from you casually. She may put that song on to reinforce your mental state and make you more likely to talk.

Hmmm, that sounds awfully specific for an example bigT.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Well, i am not adept at it. But i have studied it before. In the ancient times it was known as "magick" and "witchcraft". The power of suggestion is a very powerful tool.

But no, i am not a manipulative/exploitative person. But I do enjoy being able to communicate to my team, and get them to be successful for me. It makes it easier for me to reward them.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Well, i am not adept at it. But i have studied it before. In the ancient times it was known as "magick" and "witchcraft". The power of suggestion is a very powerful tool.

But no, i am not a manipulative/exploitative person. But I do enjoy being able to communicate to my team, and get them to be successful for me. It makes it easier for me to reward them.

I was jovially suggesting you might have svelte former KGB spy-mistresses surreptitiously debriefing you.

edit on 31-7-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

She's a latin spy, not russian.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

sounds like he is trying to articulate something like this

just my opinion

and op was a little vague

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'm lost...

So are you talking about.. like The Manchurian Candidate stuff or something?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: truthseeker84

That was kinda the vibe I got, but I didn't want to ask.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: smarko

You know this is beside the point and I don't talk about it often, but I had a dream where I awoke on a table yes surrounded by your typical grey aliens. (I know I said aliens but bare with me even this # was hard for me to believe and I think it was just a dream)

anyway I'm surrounded by grey aliens and i somehow become aware that they are using archetypical imagery and the priming effect to control us through our dreams, I saw them implanting primordial imagery into our subconscious to influence our daily actions.

I saw them doing this on a global scale like we are some kinda prison planet, puppet, puppet master type stuff. Anyway long story short I woke up extremely freaked out heart racing sweating and ears ringing.

I had this dream before I knew of archetypes infact this dream pushed me to look into such things. Cool thread sorry if this was a bit off topic I just thought I'd share
edit on 31-7-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: truthseeker84
I'm lost...

So are you talking about.. like The Manchurian Candidate stuff or something?

Neuro Linguistic Programming.
Also, Big Fat Furry Texan's connection to magic is a very keen insight..

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: clay2 baraka

I have often wondered in I can use NLP to learn software.
I SURE can't pick it up very fast nominally...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: smarko

OP is discussing cognition. It has applications in Psy-ops, and artificial intelligence. Some brief takeaway points in summary:

Meaning is constructed from past experience. Hearing the Mickey mouse club theme song will make one person smile, fill one person with fear, and trigger one person to kill people based on previous experience.

These previous experiences can be carefully created, through Milieu control as practiced in totalitarian settings, or Monarch style torture/experience manipulation programs.

Lack of information creates dot connecting cognitive traits, where the dots are connected with the experiences most probable, based on past experience: If a sound is high pitched squeak faintly heard in the distance, a cat owner will hear a cat, a machinist will hear a machine that needs to be oiled.

Biggest lesson: Trust no one, not even yourself!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: clay2 baraka

Something to consider:

Enchant has a common root to the Spanish "encante" (both meaning to enchant or bewitch) as well as incantation (the method by which one would enchant). another derivative spanish word is cantar, or sing. Another derivative is "chant".

All uses of of latin terms: en cantar (to chant).

I think "neuro-linguistic programming" is as good term for it as anything else.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Priming is a well known psychological phenomena that can be easily observed. An extreme (and highly simplistic) example of it is the kid's game where you say "fork" ten times, and then quickly ask what you eat soup with. Most people will say fork instead of the correct answer, spoon.

Priming (Psychology)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
What do you mean by "primordial" imagery? Thank you for sharing, this thread is awesome! I am very convinced video games do this if not everything on tv too. a reply to: TechniXcality

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Boomy327

I mean they were using characters/ arechtypes in our unconscious to sway our actions through our waking day, I don't know the mechanism or wasn't privy to it.but Afterall this was just a dream

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I've wrote a lot about issues like "how psychological harassment can be semiautomatized", "how stress caused by more or less recognized effects of psychological harassment affects the body" and "how technology and analytics makes it really easy to develop highly sophisticated plans for making/keeping someone irritated or for controlling behaviour and choices made by an individual", but they would need to be translated, first.

However, here's some additional points for your consideration:
  • creation of the associations can be made years before they are used for priming purposes
  • most propable associations (and connotations and denotations) can be stored to a database - more advanced game benefit from neural networks, advanced analytics etc.
  • exposure sets can often be shared with anyone
  • if an exposure set consists of multiple parts, triggering part (last part) can be handled by someone working for the web news department of the CNN (for example), who adds certain kind of news to the site, when certain individual appears reading the news - could be automatized, too
  • priming may be done so gently that it might take even tens of different exposure sets - in the time range of a week or so - before target's mind is prepared well enough without he/she noticing anything doubtful
  • preparations can be done by humans from multiple continents as we are living the Internet era
  • sometimes triggered exposure set can be so strong that it takes one's mind of something important for extended period of time
  • those, who have short attention span at the time they are being affected, might be the most vulnarable ones
  • sometimes loud, long lasting noices or similar stupidness is used for preparing the target individual to elicit certain associations more propably, because his mind and body is in flight-or-fight state
  • thinking about something emotional can cause body and mind to react in noticeable ways (sweating; anxiety; memorizing problems and problems related to executive functions)
  • usage of priming doesn't leave much evidence to point to
  • often very hard to reverse engineer, so it might be very hard to guess/comtemplate, what caused what or who participated to what
  • it is possible to make target individual to think something constantly, because the supporting assosiations get also triggered constantly - could lead to dopamine deficiency or changes in functionality of some hormons
  • smart creation of assosications compares to any game that requires a tactical approach
  • Hebbian theory: "cells that fire together, wire together"
  • with aid of technology it is easy to make someone's computer act strangely, when there something symbolic on his computer screen - keep doing this for few days and his thinking power gets reduced, because he can not forget the possibility that something strange is going to happen
  • etc.

Those propably weren't enough for understanding, how it could be possible to prepare the following, but I'll write them anyway:

• Javelin, a spear, is thrown at the track and field event. Without actual purpose of the thrower, spear hits someone between his ribs.
  • Train wreck occurs, because the driver answer to a phone call that takes his mind off from something important.
  • Plane crashes and kills multiple individuals from government personnel. It is later found that mechanic of the plane had done something he shouldn't have.

edit on 2-8-2015 by smarko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join