It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'ROWDY' RODDY PIPER DIES AT 61 From Cardiac Arrest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

RIP
Never watched wrestling but I loved the movie "They LIve".

Rowdy ran out of bubblegum and he kicked some ass.

edit on 35731America/ChicagoFri, 31 Jul 2015 18:35:14 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
Probably a heart attack brought on by years of steroid abuse. I hope today's WWE stars are paying attention to their likely future.

Piper certainly wasn't roided. Pro wrestler put their bodies through hell night after night. It takes a toll. The cocktails of pain pills, stimulants, and muscle relaxers they require to get up the following morning to do it all over again probably does a number on their system, too.

www.youtube.com...

This is an interesting documentary on what most of these guys go through. In this case, Axl Rotten, who did do drugs (but not steroids), and is unable to walk today at the age of 44 thanks to a degenerative spinal injury. Between the brain injuries, the spinal injuries, the destruction of their joints, and the hard paced schedule and lifestyle so many of them live, it's amazing any pro wrestler lives into their 60s.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Probably a heart attack brought on by years of steroid abuse. I hope today's WWE stars are paying attention to their likely future.

I wondered that but agree with poster below you.

There are plenty of generic heart conditions that go unnoticed, my dad died of a heart attack aged 59' didn't drink/smoke, ate well and worked hard (not silly heard but active jobs). Unfortunately it seemed they couldn't do a buy pass so he lived 2 years taking water pills and other stuff that made him vey slow and tired all the time, very sad end to a short active life.

At least Roddy went out in his sleep and I bet he had partied like a boss in his life, ahh the great old days of WWF. RIP.

(Maybe it was all the Amphetamine and Cocain! ##### it I bet he had no regrets!)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Sorry, but Piper admitted to using steroids himself. You can google it yourself if you like.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Wow, part of my childhood just died as well.
Thanks for the memories Roddy~!~

Will always be remembered!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Again, he admitted to using steroids... and steroid abuse is known to weaken the heart, so they probably played a role in this.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Awww bye Rowdy

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Sorry, but Piper admitted to using steroids himself. You can google it yourself if you like.

I stand corrected and somewhat shocked. I always assumed he was not taking anabolics because he certainly didn't look jacked up in any way. My God, if Piper was on them and looked as "normal" as he did, was there any wrestler in the 80s and 90s who was actually clean?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
"They Live is a documentary!!"
-R Roddy Piper

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
One of my first Toy Figures was Rowdy Piper.

R.I.P Piper

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
RIP Rowdy...61 is too bloody young..."They Live" rocked
my world & I think the idea can still apply to the days
we currently LIVE.

Cheers
Ektar
edit on 3172015 by Ektar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Always loved Roddy. Even in retirement. Saw him on Storage Wars a couple of years ago and he was still awesome:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Another person who isn't a fan of wrestling, but I loved the movie.
R.I.P

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
cardiac arrest /heart disease is a top killer for men that age
at least he died in his sleep, no accident or hospitalization involved
RIP and thanks for the entertainment

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well that just sucks.

I had the pleasure of watching him live here in the PNW territory, out of Portland, when he, and I were much younger.

Him, Jimmy Snuka, and a host of others...at the old armoury here in town. It was standing room only, every time they came to town. Good times.

That's quite a card they're puttin' together in the hereafter...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yo mate thank you for sharing that episode of storage wars!
That was me mums favorite show & she just recently past away
a year ago.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Blazemore2000

I did not know that...

Kind of surprises me, actually.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
R.I.P John Nada. I loved Rowdy. No one ever made a kilt look so good.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I saw him quite a few times in the old Portland wrestling territory in the 70's. He was an excellent heel, had great charisma and could cut a great promo, things that are sorely missing in the industry these days.

He had also helped revive the Portland indy wrestling territory a couple years ago.

His Piper's Pit segment where he hit Jimmy Snuka over the head with a coconut is a classic, i still remember it like yesterday.

R.I.P. Hot Rod. You were one of a kind and will be missed.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Damn. Never was a wrestling fan, but They Live was a stand out film and he gave a solid, memorable performance.

And his cameos in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia were a blast. "Da Maniac loves yous boys!"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join