It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if you're wrong about which deity you pray to?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: Ghost147

Christian denominations are not mutually exclusive. For example, a Lutheran Christian is just as Christian as an Anglican Christian, as is a Baptist Christian.

The mode that they express their Christianity does not change the fact that they worship the same God, namely, Jesus Christ.

So what does that make Unitarians then? They consider themselves to be Christian but reject both Jesus as God and Jesus as the only means to God.

If that's considered Christian, then would Islam also be Christian, they hold more meaning to Jesus than Unitarians do. In Islam, Jesus is considered to be a messenger of God and the Messiah who was sent to guide the Children of Israel with a new scripture, the Gospel.

At what point does Christianity stop be Christianity?

I'm not totally sure, but I believe Restorationism and Nestorianism also don't hold Jesus as the center of their religious views, despite being Christian denominations.

I would think that if they are not centered on Christ then they could hardly claim they are Christian.

They may have arisen from Christian roots, but so has the modern Church of Satan.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Here's my take on it; we live in a quantum/fractal Universe generated by our consciousness, which is one and several at the same time.

When we envision a God or gods we actually create it by enabling a part of our consciousness the potential we ascribe to the god entity, see it as a new computer code that can make short cuts in the program or do things the program generally can't do. If enough consciousness in our one/several existence validates the God/gods entity, that code will spring into action. In that sense, we are the God/gods.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yes, well Pandora opened the box and unleashed all those crappy things onto the rest of the world too. That wasn't cool either and once they were out, there was no way to put them back.

But at least there is still hope, and the same holds true here. God offers us hope and redemption. It really would be pretty crappy if he let Adam and Eve unleash all that sin and then let it take its natural course without offering us hope.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

The "GOD" of all...outweighs all names and beliefs...no matter what you call him/her/they/them/it. That negates and cancels your question.

Unless of course you've died personally and come back to tell us of all faiths...we are wrong.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Unless of course you've died personally and come back to tell us of all faiths...we are wrong.

Funny you should say that, because I have clinically been dead for several minutes on two occasions. The answer is Blackness, and a Loss Of Time.

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
The "GOD" of all...outweighs all names and beliefs...no matter what you call him/her/they/them/it. That negates and cancels your question.

Yes, it would outweigh all names and beliefs, no matter what we call it. Of course, it would have to be proven first. Belief something all you wish, that doesn't make it real.

So until a god is conclusively proven, those arguments still stand strong.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

a reply to: chr0naut

Right. I'm guilty just by being born. I want to get a pardon I have to give my life over to..... Like I said, that's a fixed game.

No, you were born into a sinful world, this does not make you responsible for the sins of the world.

The only sins you bear, and are accountable for, are your own.

The only problem is the issue that for us humans, the temptation to sin is ever present and we have a history of bad choices.

Yeah but after more than 5 decades of bad choices(some involving religion) I've become a very decent person. IMO. Why do I NOW need a supreme being to grant me absolution when I did it on my own?

How did you self absolve?

I don't need any.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   

a reply to: chr0naut

Right. I'm guilty just by being born. I want to get a pardon I have to give my life over to..... Like I said, that's a fixed game.

No, you were born into a sinful world, this does not make you responsible for the sins of the world.

The only sins you bear, and are accountable for, are your own.

The only problem is the issue that for us humans, the temptation to sin is ever present and we have a history of bad choices.

Yeah but after more than 5 decades of bad choices(some involving religion) I've become a very decent person. IMO. Why do I NOW need a supreme being to grant me absolution when I did it on my own?

How did you self absolve?

I don't need any.

You must be a beautiful person.

Me, I've done things I regret and there are consequences.

edit on 2/8/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join