It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You hate religion, I get it...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If you hate religion why can't you just be civil and leave it be? Is it because religion disgusts you so much that you want to sway believers away from it by trying to disprove pretty much any religious text you can find? If it doesn't make sense to you or sit well with you that's fine, leave it at that and engage elsewhere..

Does it give you secret pleasure to troll the religious forums? Yeah it's free, open and public, you can post wherever you want on ATS, and if your posting within T&C boundaries that's ok... but is it necessary? You hate religion and you want to wind up it's followers.

You post sarky and snide comments, and mock the beliefs of others just for the sake of eliciting an emotional response just so T&C can kick in and the believer get's a warning... and you feel as if you have the upper hand in the exchange...

Yeah obviously a believer is going to get upset, their belief and ideology is being mocked? And their sincere viewpoints are being shunned and rag dolled across the forum.

If you have nothing good to say, or have no sincere intention to exchange knowledge in the religion forums or even to learn more why can't you just let the religious be?

It's dead easy to have civil discourse with religion, you simply exchange thoughts, and to each their own, it happens everyday. Some people genuinely come to ATS to spread faith, and spirituality and to exchange their religious viewpoints, instead some members see it as an opportunity to mock, taunt, discriminate, such posters all the while throwing snide ,sarky remarks left, right and center.

I will concede here right now in public that I am an emotional person, and can be over sensitive sometimes - grow thicker skin you say? Well it's hard being in the vast minority here on ATS where I feel pretty much surrounded by wolves wanting to tear apart everything I post.

I am not defending any religious posters that have set themselves up by attempting to impose their religious views on the non-religious, or to those posters that have tried to demonize others for not believing... but be fair guys, be civil, enough trolling... some religious posters just want to spread our message just like your spread yours..

I just don't know if ATS feels safe for me to post my views anymore, at least not on the topics that matter most to me...

This is my first ever rant, I appreciate why this section exists now. I feel bit a better

edit on 31-7-2015 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2015 by ISeekTruth101 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think the same could be said for people who go into topics about GLBTQ+ issues or discussions and start with the hateful remarks and quote some scriptures and say "It's not hate it's Gods Truth"

I don't "Hate" Religion, or Religious people, i don't like the fact that it is used as something to hide behind Hate, Violence, Bigotry etc. or when it's used as"Law" and ann attempt to govern people. religion is a Belief system that not everyone believes, or believes in differently, but it is not "Law" that is allowed to be used as Discrimination to anyone

Not everyone is like that, there are those that have their belief but understand Humanity

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ISeekTruth101

If you hate religion why can't you just be civil and leave it be? Is it because religion disgusts you so much that you want to sway believers away from it…

Its not hating to disagree with Organized religion.

Organized religion misleads people into false beliefs.

For instance, your stance is leave people alone that believe, right? You don't want there to be discourse about beliefs in God, creation, salvation or the soul, right?

Since when did a belief in religion mean you can no longer question anything about it? Where is learning in that kind of environment? Stuck in one strain of origins and beliefs is kind of closed minded, don't you think?

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I totally empathize with your feelings.

There are several Christophobic ATSer's who routinely stalk my posts for the purpose of being snarky and rude because they hate religion.

In my opinion, somewhere along the line, someone claiming to be a Christian did major damage to their psyche causing them to project their inner damage onto any and all Christians. They seem to think it is their mission in life to be as mean as possible to anyone who claims to be a Christian.

They are constantly accusing me of wanted a theocracy, which is laughable.
Because Jesus clearly spoke against a theocracy based on Him.
John 18:36 Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”
Yet this somehow goes over their head and they insist that all Christians want to take over the US and make it into a theocracy. Ludicrous.

They also think all Christians are homophobic which is not true at all.
They attribute the worse things possible to Christians and then go to say, well not ALL Christians, I have some Christian friends who aren't like that .... then repeat Christians are (something awful inserted here)
Which is the racist equivalent of a white person saying "I have black friends."

I get pretty tired of them. I have stop responding when they just can't let go and can only respond with snark and rudeness or classic anti-Christian rhetoric.
That is the best way to handle these people, refuse to respond. If you refuse to respond, even when they taunt you to respond, you have won by default and they will tuck their tails behind their legs and go away.

BTW, none of you who responded above are the stalkers, so you don't get upset at my rant.

edit on 12Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:54:20 -0500pm73107pmk315 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I don't "Hate" Religion, or Religious people, i don't like the fact that it is used as something to hide behind Hate, Violence, Bigotry etc.

I'm guessing that your statement there is a part of what they're talking about. To you, it might appear they're hiding behind religion. To the religious, they're just following their tenets.

You want the religious to have respect for the GLBTQ+ folks, have the same respect for those who are religious.

Edit: Just to be clear, there seems to be a common "hate" towards one another by both groups. That's what I don't like.
edit on 7/31/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/31/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's true, you are a minority here. So you are most likely going to get picked on a little. You want to go somewhere where there are more religious folk? Try beforeit'snews where they're the majority, and then maybe you will see why people poke fun. Lisa haven will show you how to grow thicker skin, if you pay her enough.

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

To put the shoe on the other foot, I'm tired of being told I'm going to suffer for eternity because I don't believe in a god that may or may not have existed.

I'm what could be loosely be described as agnostic, and yes while I do believe in the good moral teachings of the good book, I don't believe in the absolutes that also occur. and when my time is up I'll either be right or wrong. The problem with any religion is its their way or the highway, and that's the reason why I don't subscribe to any of them.

edit on 31-7-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

If you hate religion why can't you just be civil and leave it be? Is it because religion disgusts you so much that you want to sway believers away from it by trying to disprove pretty much any religious text you can find? If it doesn't make sense to you or sit well with you that's fine, leave it at that and engage elsewhere.

You answered your own OP, below...

I am not defending any religious posters that have set themselves up by attempting to impose their religious views on the non-religious, or to those posters that have tried to demonize others for not believing... but be fair guys, be civil, enough trolling... some religious posters just want to spread our message just like your spread yours..

But the proselytizing religions have had millennia to spread their "gospel" around the world. Now that they are meeting resistance, and people are using religions own tactics against it, they cry foul. Too late for that. There are a lot of pissed off anti-theists and anti-religionists out there at this point. For them the war is just beginning. They want the same pound of flesh religions have taken from everyone else for so long. It's going to get a lot uglier before it gets better at this point. Sad to see it has come to this, but not surprising.

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Yes because the religious are SUCH innocent bystanders in this and have NEVER brought this ire on themselves...

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
2000 years of oppression at the hands of Christians breeds some resentment.
Now that society has evolved to the point where fairy tales aren't the end all be all of existence and people can speak against it without fear of losing their lives, Christians are quick to call any refutation of their beliefs a persecution.

Suck it up, turn the other cheek and taste just a small bit of the bitter ashes your ilk has forced upon others for millennia.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

LOL,

There have been some that actually admit that they will lie and mislead people intentionally.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't think it will matter what or how many links I post as you will continue to purposely mislead people without even investigating what the reference words mean or really want to unless you can find some new accusation to shake people's faith by misrepresenting definitions. You will continue to chip away in an attempt to sway those who are not strong in their beliefs or are new to it all in order to undermine their confidence in what they read and what it means.

Am I correct in this assumption?

At the start of Christianity the world put up with the crusades, then we had the Spanish Inquisition, then the church put woman to death for being witches.

Then we have only recently had clergy who are meant to be ambassadors of God abusing children. Your bible sanctioned slavery, your church was against interracial marriage just as now Christians are against gay marriage.

Yes, you are correct in your assumptions, but folk don't need me to sway them away from religion, just watching and reading the news is enough to sway any sane person away from such a cult!

edit on 31-7-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
You're expecting rationale from anti-theists.

Not atheists or agnostics who question skeptically...

But anti-theists who pray for the demise of religion.

They're the faithless equivalent to extremists who want to force their backward notions of the ethereal/spiritual.

& your expectations are too high.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Because there are those that only wish to inflict as much damage and harm to people of faith as they can.

Haters exist in all arenas.

Some haters hide behind religion, others hide behind atheism. . . etc.

OP? Just take it this way, anyone who spends time trying to hate on religions is probably a weak person to begin with. The only way they can exert any power or authority is to go online and to hate on others.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Why do you get upset about it? It's what they want. Keep a level head and reply. They can accuse you of all manner of things and will, but they don't know what's in your heart.

Go read Matthew 10 and take it to heart. If you are going to continue on with this, you will need to understand what it means. You can't make them like you. You can't make them more civil. If you persist in the truth, it will only get worse.

In fact, the only one you can control is yourself. So just control your own conduct and don't let them get to you. In the end, it may not be the ones who snipe and carp who whose eyes you may open, but someone else who only reads and considers.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I will absolutely agree not to venture into the religion forum as long as I do not see religious comments in forums such as science, politics, history etc..

I do not necessarily seek out interjecting my opinion on religion however can be swayed when the people that are supposed to have a personal relationship with their God, keep interjecting what I consider mindless drivel, in other threads. Keep religion in the dogmatic box it has created, and I will not bother it.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I hate any organisation that uses its outdated rules to protect themselves from doing harm to others.

Preying on kids and the weak.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname
I will absolutely agree not to venture into the religion forum as long as I do not see religious comments in forums such as science, politics, history etc..

I do not necessarily seek out interjecting my opinion on religion however can be swayed when the people that are supposed to have a personal relationship with their God, keep interjecting what I consider mindless drivel, in other threads. Keep religion in the dogmatic box it has created, and I will not bother it.

Except even speaking against some topics is considered "religious" whether it is or not. All it takes is knowing the poster's personal convictions to make the charge. So I'm afraid you don't have a deal. And some forums are set up specifically to encourage those discussions I think - Like the one on Evolution. I don't hang out there, but I thought it was part of the regular business of that forum to discuss alternative theories which would include creation and other things like that.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISeekTruth101
You post sarky and snide comments, and mock the beliefs of others just for the sake of eliciting an emotional response just so T&C can kick in and the believer get's a warning... and you feel as if you have the upper hand in the exchange...
As far as I see it if no T's and C's are broken then you are whining about nothing.
Perhaps the religious folk who get themselves warned should learn how to debate things as mature reasoned adults.
Being a 'believer' does not give you a special right to lose your temper and break T's and C's.
Unlucky, get over it. I get all sorts of hate and emotional silliness in some of the threads I author but I respond calmly and it is rare for me to get a warning.

If you can't debate without losing control of what you say through emotion then go find a religious sandpit forum where you can all agree with each other and play nice together.
Religious or spiritual faith commands no more respect than any other life issue, although I respect your right to believe whatever you like.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Its on both sides.

But all Christians are getting a bad reputation from a few loud Christians like the Westboro Baptist Church or other Christians who are hateful and against equality.

Even George Bush Sr. said that atheists shouldnt be considered citizens or patriots. Im sure that created a bit of fury for some people.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: notmyrealname

Except even speaking against some topics is considered "religious" whether it is or not. All it takes is knowing the poster's personal convictions to make the charge. So I'm afraid you don't have a deal. And some forums are set up specifically to encourage those discussions I think - Like the one on Evolution. I don't hang out there, but I thought it was part of the regular business of that forum to discuss alternative theories which would include creation and other things like that.

Of course I was not expecting any deal; I was illustrating a point of view that when discussing mathematics or physics, many times someone will interject scripture in an attempt to explain the phenomena. I personally have no skin in the game with any organized religion and do not, honestly, have any negative feelings about those that do. Until, of course, the person attempts to pursued me to see things their way.

I have a few people on the board of a company that I own that are very religious. The subject of their faith does not enter the boardroom except for how they make their internal decisions and I have absolutely no problem with that. They can rely upon their faith to make their decisions, however vocalizing that to others in the board is not acceptable. I hire people based upon their abilities to perform the job that they are hired for. We do not ask anything about a person's faith when we interview as it is not a relevant matter.

If more would leave the issue alone, maybe the anti-folks would also leave it alone? Perhaps not….

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join