It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit teachers livid as they go unpaid, shortchanged

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75
LOL well the thing is politicians are pretty corrupt everywhere,
However, the dirty politics in Detroit at least are Democrat lead...I mean because they are all democrats in Detroit and have been for quite a while.

Yep, dirty is dirty is dirty. Democrats, Republicans, etc.

There's far more to the downfall of Detroit than merely the Democratic leadership in the city, but, that doesn't fit the talking points for those on the right, here.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I dunno I am on the "right" according to many. (Libertarian)
The "right" leaning side of me thinks that there is more than the democrat party at play in so far as Detroit is concerned, namely the absolute sense of entitlement that people tend to hold, the very criminal elements in the Unions in Detroit, the lack of moral compassion by the rest of America as it concerns those in Detroit who had no say in where they were born and are effectively trapped there.

What do you mean "trapped there" some may say.

Well in my opinion since the schools there are just terrible and the literacy rate there is so low, many who have grown up there and are now in their say 20's really have no escape.
They cannot read, the schools there have failed them. I dont think the government should fix it, because they either cannot or will not do so, so it is really incumbent on people from elsewhere to actually go there to teach these people, almost like missionary's, in some far off land.
Those young adults have no skills to do this themselves if they want to gain any financial ground.
I watched a documentary not long ago about Detroit that mentioned all the Urban farming going on there, where people are growing their own food on abandoned lots to feed themselves.

This tells me they are not all just lazy people, as some are trying to take care of themselves.
I think we conservatives should actually go there and try to help them if we are able, by way of opening food pantries, volunteer tutoring and the like.
Should we give more money to the "system" in Detroit? Absolutely not because they have proven they are incredibly irresponsible with it, bowing down to corporate and union interests at the cost of everyone else.

But alas morality in today's world is not up for the challenge most of the time, as it seems to be among both the left and right "me and mine and my own wishes above all", In effect... "do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" has become the norm, regardless of who it hurts or effects.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Detroit is a large city by area and the suburbs are large also. The population has dropped because most people have moved to the surrounding area. They didn't leave Michigan they just moved. Since the housing collapse in 2008 a lot of homes in my area were bought up by landlords to rent. The demographic has changed my area. It use to be mostly white now it's half white half black with most of black people coming from Detroit. Also a lot of Muslim's use to live in Detroit and have moved out to the suburbs. I now have a mosque at the end of my street. I'm not into the whole multiculturalism American melting pot thing. I'm moving out of here the first chance I get. The crime in my area has skyrocketed. The suburbs are being over run with drug dealers and criminals. I'm probably going to Marquette in the upper peninsula.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 31-7-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

You may want to research Marquette before you go. White flight hit there years ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Detroit may very well be unfixable. Usually when I hear a problem I can come up with some sort of solution, even if not everyone agrees it is a solution. With Detroit though, I just have no ideas. I have visited the city before, it's in bad shape. No one wants to do business there, it's tax revenue is non existent, the neighborhoods are being bulldozed to reduce utility expenses, and now the teachers aren't even getting paid.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join