It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Discover Immune System's Trojan Horse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'm no medical professional so this is a bit over my head but I'll try to explain it the best I can. Researchers at Oxford University have discovered that the Human Body uses viruses as "Trojan Horses" to fight the very cells which carry the viruses. Apparently, the body detects Viruses which produce DNA and reacts accordingly to counteract it.

Scientists already knew that when a virus containing or producing DNA enters a cell in the body it is detected by a protein called cGAS. This in turn produces a small signalling molecule called cGAMP which acts as what's known as a second messenger, activating other elements of the body's immune response. Now, the Oxford team have discovered that as some viruses replicate, they incorporate cGAMP, meaning that as they infect new cells the cGAMP immediately prompts an immune response.
Professor Jan Rehwinkel from the MRC Human Immunology Unit, within Oxford University's Radcliffe Department of Medicine, explained: 'We hypothesised that as the virus replicated, cGAMP was incorporated and carried to the next cell to be infected. This may not have been spotted before because in the lab researchers tend to use cells that are free of cGAS and therefore unable to produce cGAMP.

I find this very interesting. Nature is the ultimate technology and this very technology happens within our own bodies all the time! The Human Body is a wonderful machine and I want to see where this research leads. What says ATS?

medicalxpress.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Interesting research, the cGAMP signal the immune system from what im reading on WIKI, they are referred to as a type 1 interferon, which triggers various things in the cells when a virus is detected: IFNs belong to the large class of proteins known as cytokines, molecules used for communication between cells to trigger the protective defenses of the immune system that help eradicate pathogens.[2] Interferons are named for their ability to "interfere" with viral replication[2] by protecting cells from virus infections. IFNs also have various other functions: they activate immune cells, such as natural killer cells and macrophages; they increase host defenses by up-regulating antigen presentation by virtue of increasing the expression of major histocompatibility complex (MHC) antigens. Certain symptoms of infections, such as fever, muscle pain and "flu-like symptoms", are also caused by the production of IFNs and other cytokines.

More than twenty distinct IFN genes and proteins have been identified in animals, including humans. They are typically divided among three classes: Type I IFN, Type II IFN, and Type III IFN. IFNs belonging to all three classes are important for fighting viral infections and for the regulation of the immune system.

So if they find a way to manipulate the cGAMP what benefit would it have? could they incorporate a cure into a cGAMP protein and cause it to replicate into other cells?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Wow this human immune system is pretty cool. It seems to work very well.

I wish I'd heard about that from my Dr.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I see an application for network and operating systems security here.

edit on 31-7-2015 by starswift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Strangely enough all the doctors who have come up dead or missing knew about GcMAF and some were apparently using it. They were getting results, too, according to this You Tube video. [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cALgIHETMDU] by professor doom1. He explains GcMAF pretty good for a layman and how TPTB are trying to cover this discovery up.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
This may explain autoimmune diseases.

We know that autoimmune diseases are brought on by the body having an overactive immune response, which causes the body to attack itself per se, which ultimately leads to damaged areas of the body (various specific organs, tissues, muscle, whatever).

There's no such thing as just having one type of autoimmune disease. If you develop one, it's a guarantee that you will slowly but surely develop two or more other types of autoimmune diseases as time progresses.

I'm of the belief that all autoimmune diseases have the same common denominator, science just hasn't figured it out yet.

The only reason why there are different names for autoimmune diseases is because there's a malfunction of different parts of the body, thus each one is given a different label. But I think science will one day learn that they are actually all being caused by the same common denominator.

Perhaps persistant viruses that have either gone undetected for years and/or are never quite cleared up, and instead are in the body over a period of several years is what's causing a non-stop immune response, and thus autoimmune disease(s) develop over time ?

Just my $.02

new topics

top topics

join