It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Samaritan Family Gunned Down

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
What emotions does something like this evoke in you?

Sadness, anger, the usual. But then any sane person should feel that way, surely?

What kind of charge/ sentence would you like to see this vile idiot receive?

Life in prison. He can be studied by psychology professionals and their students to further their knowledge and hopefully lead to viable methods of prevention. What causes someone to become so needlessly violent, and is there a way to prevent it?

Would you have been able to run after something like this, or would you be grief stricken from seeing your parents be murdered?

I have no clue, but I believe survival instincts often take such decisions out of our control.

Would you stop to help someone on the side of the road?

Absolutely.
For this one tragic and senseless instance there were another million instances of people assisting strangers which DIDN'T end up like this.
It's like the argument about being armed for protection... it's based on the irrational fear of being a victim rather than any genuine reason to fear.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Questions for ATS:
Would you have been able to run after something like this, or would you be grief stricken from seeing your parents be murdered?

Thanks to all who will partake in this discussion.

-Alee

1) It makes me wonder who is capable of doing such things and what it would be called. It makes me question myself in the sense of, "If I were desperate, homeless and angry, would i be capable of doing something that terrible and why?" -- The only thing stopping me would be 4 pillars which hold up a good person; common sense, decency, morality, and empathy. Even though it makes me sound a bit loco, I learned 3 of those 4 things from God. So, a psycho isn't a desperate fool, it's someone who lacks empathy to the point of hurting anyone necessary without feeling bad about it for personal gain, even enjoying it.. in their sick minds, at least.

2) Life without parole in a Supermax would be worse than death. Death would work too though; they're close.

3) Yes, it's referred to as Fight or Flight syndrome, and it has saved many an ass, including hers (and mine).

4) While I was running from being directly shot at without cover? No. Immediately afterward if I was still ok? sure.

Thank you for the thought exercise, lol.

edit on 7/31/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

a reply to: Hidinout

Kidding or not, I personally choose not to carry a gun and honestly, i'll say it. It's because i have anger issues and I can go from 0-100 without even realizing it's happening. So for that reason, I don't carry a weapon as I wouldn't want to make a mistake.

However my dad carrys his gun where EVER we go. He has never had to use it but it makes me feel safer knowing if something terrible were to happen, that we may have a "Lifeline" as it were.

My uncle who I don't believe has a conceal carry just puts his holster outside of his shirt and pants where it is very visible, if we are ever going somewhere (Long road trips etc..)

Yeah, I don't want people running around shooting each other to death though.

It is sad. It makes me mad how stupid it is, that people actually behave like this. Maybe it's hard for me to understand, because I was raised to respect and love others, and appreciate any help or assistance given to me at any point in my life, and value the lives of others, until given a severe reason not to. I'll be honest, this Mendoza guy? I don't value his life. At ALL.

-Alee
We always take protection along on road trips, the last thing a person wants is to break down in the middle of nowhere, alone, then the opposite thing can happen, Mendoza could stop to help us!

I don't want to get into a gun ownership debate, but for people who think banning guns is the answer, it's totally true, criminals will still have guns.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This from an area newspaper -
basinreboot.com...

Big Horn County Attorney Jay Harris told the Montana News Network that a full investigation is being opened into the incident, including why Mendoza was in the area. “We have very strong leads that he was not here by happenstance,” Harris said.

So, drug smuggling ?
Any further comment from me would be to re enforce greencmp's 1st rule.
Carry.
Use when needed.
Repeat as necessary.

Anger that some piece of trash would do this for no reason.
Life in prison, doing the whole time in solitaire.
Yes, I could have ran away...long enough to retrieve my own weapon. You will not harm my family without consequences. I will Hunt. You. Down. No matter where you are or who you are, in custody or not, you will pay. And if he were to get the death penalty, the family should be given the option to pull the switch. I believe in REVENGE
Only under certain circumstances. A mother with a car load of kids on a very hot/cold day.
MAYBE a single female, but not if I'm alone.
I have never trusted people, I'm not starting now.

edit on 31-7-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

And you are right to do so, people without guns have found ways to kill eachother and will continue to find new ways to kill eachother. This can't be a gun debate this has to be a psychological and sociological dialogue because surely this is where the problem starts and ends.

edit on 31-7-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Several conclusions:

1. Carry a concealed firearm at all times and be prepared to use it if necessary.

2. Remain sympathetic to the misfortune of others and continue to offer assistance when possible.

3. See conclusion 1.

Good advice; but you forgot one of the rules. Don't stop......call 911 and report the problem.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I am a long way from young, so that may have something to do with how I think and feel about this incident. I would have stopped and asked if he needed help. In all likelihood, he would have killed me, yet I am not deterred, I will still stop if I think someone needs help.

Just yesterday, early morning, much earlier than I normally leave home, I saw a strange car pulled over to the side of the road. On slowing, I saw a middle-aged female behind the wheel. For a bit of clarity. I live in the country, most of our roads are private, all of our roads are dirt roads. Most everybody knows everybody, so strangers are usually visitors or lost.

When we stopped to offer assistance, if needed, even though I was already late, she said no, she was okay, though she seemed a bit nervous at first. Then this guy came from what seemed like from nowhere. She calmed down and for a split second I thought, is there going to be trouble? He also said everything was fine, so we let it be. Normally we would have asked if they were visiting someone in our area, but I was already late and though not threatening, they didn't look too friendly. I chalked it up to the circumstances, since, first I thought he had gone into the woods to take a leak, but as I passed the car leaving, I could see that he had been under the car, probably checking for damage. It takes a little skill to drive our roads, even us old timers have been fishtailed a time or two. It can be sudden, unnerving and even damaging to your car. So they may have had a good reason for their behavior. Still I will stop if I think someone needs help, I accept all the possibilities of my actions.

I don't have a gun, I don't have anything left worth killing someone for, and no, if it came down to me and them, well, I guess it will just be my time.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

And what does this story tell us? Many things, but the most important is: the evil has spread to every corner of the country, even........BFE Montana!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

I don't want to get into a gun ownership debate, but for people who think banning guns is the answer, it's totally true, criminals will still have guns.

I doubt anyone would disagree that hardcore criminals will always have access to firearms. But crazy psychopathic losers are a complete different kettle of fish.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

And you are right to do so, people without guns have found ways to kill eachother and will continue to find new ways to kill eachother. This can't be a gun debate this has to be a psychological and sociological dialogue because surely this is where the problem starts and ends.

I so agree and I hate to drag up this old chestnut, but guns don't kill people, people do.

I don't have anything worth dying over, but if it was a them or me situation, I'd do everything I could to stay alive.

edit on 31-7-2015 by Hidinout because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

This guy was only 18, he couldn't have gotten that weapon legally. If he was willing to shoot that family because he was "tired of waiting" I think "hard core criminal" fits him just fine.

ETA - I was wrong on the age. He could have bought it himself.
edit on 31-7-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
I doubt anyone would disagree that hardcore criminals will always have access to firearms. But crazy psychopathic losers are a complete different kettle of fish.

Right. There's several hundreds of millions of thieves on the planet and much worse that would never kill a random family dead on the side of the street; ones trying to help you no less.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

This is a great argument, and a fantastic point.

I agree, if not one weapon, they will find or make another.

Thank you for your response SgtHamsandwich

-Alee

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yep, isn't that sad and sick?

Thank you for your response Xcathdra

-Alee

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

No not really. Hardcore criminals have far to much to lose, than to just go out and start shooting people for no good reason.

A psychopathic loser on the other hand... has nothing to lose and would only have the balls to do something like this if it was made easy for him, which is why these occurrences are so notorious in the US.

Anyway....

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

You are right, his sentencing won't bring back that womans parents. The people who raised her, loved her, and gave her the gift of life. The parents she said "I love you" to. She will never again hear those words from her parents in return. It breaks my heart. Family is one of the most important things to me. I can't imagine losing my parents in a violent manner.

Thank you for your response Subaeruginosa

-Alee

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Although many may not agree, I certainly do. He doesn't in my eyes deserve to take up any more oxygen or resources on this planet, and certainly isn't worthy of living on the tax payers dime in a prison, safe and sound.

Thank you for your response TechniXcality

-Alee

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I really enjoyed reading your views on this, even though my choices would have probably differed.

Although I am in favor of him being executed (again my anger and emotions speaking), I like that you see a potential for studying him, and possibly preventing this in the future.

Thank you for your response Rocker2013

-Alee

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
A psychopathic loser on the other hand... has nothing to lose and would only have the balls to do something like this if it was made easy for him, which is why these occurrences are so notorious in the US.

That's a very nice observation.

It explains why we have 25% of the total of the world's imprisoned people in our country..

and why so many illegal immigrants come here; it's easier here.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

But crazy psychopathic losers are a complete different kettle of fish.

Crazy psychopaths don't need guns to kill you, nor do they always wait for someone to stop to offer them aide. If they hadn't stopped, the victims would have most likely been the residents of the first home he came across.

The first humans likely killed each other with rocks, and it got worse with time and supposedly intelligence. Even if you took guns away from everyone on the planet, people will find a way to kill each other.

Guns are not the problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join