It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UN Food Program Suspends Sudan Convoys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
In a situation which vaguely stirs memories of the circumstances that brought the US into Somalia, renewed fighting has made it impossible for UN convoys to deliver a planned 1300 tons of food to Darfur. This time however it is unlikely that even a brief US or UN incursion. As we all know, the UN doesn't believe in dangerous missions.

story.news.yahoo.com
The relief agency halted three convoys of 70 trucks carrying more than 1,300 tons of food destined for El Fasher, the capital of North Darfur, and Nyala, the capital of South Darfur state, the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said Tuesday.

The attack Monday on Ghubaysh in West Kordofan follows weeks of insecurity in Darfur in which both rebel and government-backed forces have attacked each other. It was the second attack by the rebel Sudan Liberation Army since Dec. 19 when the Sudanese government agreed to an immediate cessation of hostilities, U.N. officials said.

The SLA and another rebel group, the Justice and Equality Movement, took up arms in February 2003 to fight for more power and resources in Darfur. The Sudanese government responded by backing an Arab militia known as the Janjaweed, which is accused of targeting civilians in a campaign of murder, rape and arson.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Really makes you proud to be an American- or a citizen of any western nation for that matter. Nobody can touch us, we have the strongest forces in the world, we have an incredible standard of living and we definately represent the forefront of the "civilized world". It's much better than being one of those dirty 3rd world human animals who somehow deserve what they are getting.
Am I the only one who thinks that its absolutely digusting that there is not even one government in the western world willing to go in there and make a difference? Even the people who say America is stingy or America is genocidal etc etc. I dont see them going in there to be generous and fight genocide.
I know- cry me a river. Thats just how the world is. It's still extremely disheartening.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The VagabondThis time however it is unlikely that even a brief US or UN incursion. As we all know, the UN doesn't believe in dangerous missions.

The people who did this are 'the good guys' that the Sudanese government is fighting against.

If there were to be a mission in Sudan, these are the people the US and others would be fighting with against the government and the Janjaweed.

Everyone is talking about the situation in Sudan as if it's completely one-sided and only the Sudanese governement is at fault but as this article points out, the rebel groups like the SLA are causing many of the problems.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Beggin your pardon, but I'd cause no end to problems if I was being trampled be a government run by people who hate me for religious reasons, and I'd be twice as cheesed if I knew that some members of the security council will never let anyone come help me because they have a history of backing the muslim factions in Africa.

A separating force is in order. I'm not saying we need to rout one military or the other, just enforce peace, enforce negotiations, and enforce disarmament. While we're at it we need to make sure than anyone who can be proven to have comitted rape as an act of war is tried and sentenced to death if convicted. The last thing we need in an AIDS plagued continent is rape being used as an act of war.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Beggin your pardon, but I'd cause no end to problems if I was being trampled be a government run by people who hate me for religious reasons, and I'd be twice as cheesed if I knew that some members of the security council will never let anyone come help me because they have a history of backing the muslim factions in Africa.

They don't hate them for religious reasons.
The rebels are Muslim.

VOA News
The civil war in western Sudan erupted in February 2003, when an armed rebel group, the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA), began a series of attacks on government forces and installations in the region.

The Muslim Darfur-based rebels, made up of members of local tribes, say they launched the war to force an end to decades of political marginalization and economic neglect by the Arab-dominated government in Khartoum.

This is not about religion.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Open mouth, insert foot. I seem to have gotten my African militant groups mixed up. I guess that means the Christians vs Muslims scenario was in Cote d'ivoire.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   

This time however it is unlikely that even a brief US or UN incursion.

The EU is preparing to deploy their newly established rapid response force to the Darfur region, and it's about #in' time too!

www.atsnn.com...

-raven

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
How can these rebels and militias possibly pose a real threat to the UN troops? I'm not saying that there's no way the rebels can fight back, but to actually be able to stop it? This is a fundamental problem with the UN (not to add to the UN bashing), resolve. People get fired up about Nations and Society, but not mutual agreement policing of foreign territory to protect and assist food disperal projects.

I really find this interesting in terms of the UN 'takeing over' the US. If blue helmets can't deal with these groups, how can it deal with the US.

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBaseThe people who did this are 'the good guys' that the Sudanese government is fighting against.

Really? Displaced refugees and raped women and children are defeating UN convoys?

Janjaweed is a paramilitary militia that is participating in the slaughter of an entire underclass ethnicity. Its disgusting what they are doing.

The people that they are fighting are civilians, they've dislocated them, raped and murdered them in their makeshift refugee camps, and nearly starved them to death, which is why the UN is there in the first place. When there is action there, it won't be alongside the ruling arab minority and the janjaweed militia.

top topics

join