It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thinking in pictures and colors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
first of all i would like to say i have always done this, i thought until recently that everyone did. i dont have a gift or secret powers, and im not special. i just have a different way of viewing things,and wonder who else might do this.

i have always viewed time as pictures and colors..or maybe enhanced graphs would be a better term.
when i think of an hour of the day it fits into a picture i have of a day. when i think of a day it fits into a weekly picture.
every month fits into a picture i have of a year and so on. when i think of decades or centuries, they fit into a type of graph..it all fits together. there are colors that are also part of all this. i dont think there is any great significance in this other than its a different way of perceiving things,anyone else think in pictures and colors?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: autopat51

Synesthesia is an alleged condition that may explain some of what you allege. Wiki Synesthesia

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Synesthesia is an alleged condition that may explain some of what you allege. Wiki Synesthesia

oh great..its a condition.
thank you for your response.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Nope you're not the only one, except I wouldn't say I use pictures and colors, I've always had a decent sense of intuition. But I believe I think with a form of emotion and shapes (especially when I'm trying to figure out a problem). I get some pretty interesting results too.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Since my daughter was young, we talked of those we knew by their color. It's kinda like an aura thing, but people emanated an agreed upon color that represented traits and our initial read on newly introduced acquaintances. It sounds odd, but the colors assigned later were validated as we got to know the individual better. Never met a pure white or black person, but a whole slew of greens, magenta, and blue. As I post this and proof it, we sound kind of strange. Any ATSers that do something like this out there?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Most people can think in pictures and colors. I can imagine anything I want in my mind, and if I close my eyes and focus I can increase the realness of the image to an almost life-like quality, similar to when I'm dreaming. I can also recreate sounds, smells, and other senses in my mind. I'm pretty sure most people can simulate their senses in their mind.

But I don't exactly think that is what you are talking about. You seem to associate specific patterns and colors with moments in time. Sort of like a person who might associate different smells to different colors. In that case it may be a form of Synesthesia, which is not necessarily a bad thing, it can provide a unique perspective on the world.
edit on 31/7/2015 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Yes, it is synesthesia.
Look up the Synesthesia Battery at UT, David Eagleman. It has an online test which is fun to take and will let you know if you are a synesthete.
I associate personalities and colors and gender with letters and numbers.
edit on 31-7-2015 by kkrattiger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I know what you mean and I do this as well.

If I think of monday, I see the word as a picture in a line of days, same with months and years. For me numbers, letters and names have colours too.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

It's not "alleged."

My husband is synesthetic. He gets colors with numbers, and as he gets older, he says those colors have started come with emotional connotations too. It's actually helpful in his work where he is responsible for working with strings of numbers. It reinforces his memory. Instead of just a string of numbers, he also has the color associations to help him.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
thanks everybody! im really glad i posted this now.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

You can be forgiven for thinking you might be going nuts. It's very rare, and in those people who have it, it can take many forms. My husband has the most common form, but even he didn't know he had it until he got to college and they mentioned it in passing in his basic Psych class. The TA said something like they see five as orange, and he corrected her with what he saw it as. And it's true that no two color/number or color/letter associating synesthetics will have the same associations.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You can be forgiven for thinking you might be going nuts. It's very rare, and in those people who have it, it can take many forms. My husband has the most common form, but even he didn't know he had it until he got to college and they mentioned it in passing in his basic Psych class. The TA said something like they see five as orange, and he corrected her with what he saw it as. And it's true that no two color/number or color/letter associating synesthetics will have the same associations.

you are right..5 is most definitely blue!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I've always viewed time as a slow pain the ass Monday through Friday, and as a fleeting memory on the weekends.

But seriously, I have heard of other people thinking in terms of colors, like associating certain memories with certain colors, one guy on listverse claimed when he heard music he "saw" it as different colors. Seems weird and kind of cool to me.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy

I've always viewed time as a slow pain the ass Monday through Friday, and as a fleeting memory on the weekends.

But seriously, I have heard of other people thinking in terms of colors, like associating certain memories with certain colors, one guy on listverse claimed when he heard music he "saw" it as different colors. Seems weird and kind of cool to me.

now THAT would be awesome!!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Don't take it personally.

Though the veracity of the reports of sysnesthesia have been taken very seriously, the idea that is a psychological (I should have added that qualifier before condition) condition and not a yet-to-be-discovered/unknown memory mechanism is very much a part of the neurological communities investigation into this alleged psychological condition.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
...I've often thought of becoming a golf club......Caddy Shack quote

I have always viewed the days, months and years as different types of Donuts. Jelly, custard, Sprinkles....and cinnamon sugar....oh and powdered.

I find it easy to associate existence with cake donuts and their roundness without a center.....but then that really takes us on a life turn of events....the donut hole.

Visually stimulating, thought provoking and waist enhancing donuts are truly the gift of the gods and a measurement having not equals.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk
...I've often thought of becoming a golf club......Caddy Shack quote

I have always viewed the days, months and years as different types of Donuts. Jelly, custard, Sprinkles....and cinnamon sugar....oh and powdered.

I find it easy to associate existence with cake donuts and their roundness without a center.....but then that really takes us on a life turn of events....the donut hole.

Visually stimulating, thought provoking and waist enhancing donuts are truly the gift of the gods and a measurement having not equals.

sorry, the comedy forum is one floor down, second door on the right.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
...and the thread died....I wonder what color it was?

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy

If you look around, you can find exhibits of color/music synesthetes in art galleries. They paint songs or otherwise express what they see when they hear.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The interesting thing is that in those rare times when I dream I hear the words but usually I read them (usually telepathically and understood).

Sometimes in real life I "hear" or "feel" what people are saying. Call it intuition or metaphysical or whatever but I am usually right.

Synesthesia may be a real thing but so is metaphysics and intuition. Everyone has a feel for each other.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join