It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symmetry in attractiveness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
They say for a person to be attractive its all about symmetry and proportion in the face. However I notice even though some faces are perfectly symmetrical they are still ugly so it cant all be about symmetry can it?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Marcus069

No, you also included "proportion" in your definition and then ignored it. Therefore symmetry is not enough. I think you answered your own question.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Beauty is within the eye of the beholder. Simple as that.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Symmetrical facial features are equal to average. Average is often considered beautiful. To some average may not be that attractive, or attractive but not in a sexually attractive manner.

Also, here's an interesting note about how a person's demeanor and personality affects how attractive they are noted to be:

In one study, 70% of college students deemed an instructor physically attractive when he acted in a friendly manner, while only 30% found him attractive when he was cold and distant. Indeed, when surveyed for attributes in selecting a mate, both males and females felt kindness and an exciting personality were more important in a mate than good looks. Thus, to a certain degree, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Source

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
here's an interesting note about how a person's demeanor and personality affects how attractive they are noted to be:

In one study, 70% of college students deemed an instructor physically attractive when he acted in a friendly manner, while only 30% found him attractive when he was cold and distant. Indeed, when surveyed for attributes in selecting a mate, both males and females felt kindness and an exciting personality were more important in a mate than good looks. Thus, to a certain degree, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

Source

There's hope for me yet!

OP, it's definitely not all just symmetry, I'm very symmetrical facially, still ugly. As above there are so many other factors that come into play, we find all kinds of people attractive in different ways, and sometimes it's not even a physical thing to begin with, but eventually it becomes a physical thing even if said people are not physically attractive to you in the beginning.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Disregard personality, I am just talking about first impressions in photos. Perfect example is Tori Spelling, perfectly symmetrical and her face is in proportion but something about her face makes her unattractive. I just cannot work out what it is though.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Tori Spelling
edit on 31-7-2015 by Marcus069 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I am not symmetrical..
Very much not so..

But people find me attractive.

edit on 31-7-2015 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   

/thread

It's actually asymmetry that often makes for 'beauty.' A rose is never perfect, yet we see it as such.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Am I attractive?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

i have noticed that my face is not symmetrical, i have also noticed that i look much more attractive when i part my hair on the side versus straight down the middle. i think it helps balance out the asymmetry.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xaphan
Am I attractive?

Only because you asked..

And remember, you did ask..

An astounding yes! But only if you were to change your sex like Caitlyn Jenner, in order to make yourself into what is considered attractive, of course.

new topics

top topics

join