It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Feelings, and Why They do not Matter.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Reallyfolks

Feelings can lead to action, action can lead to change. That's a fact. If the feelings/actions/changes are good or bad can be debated. But considering this fact I would have to give give the OP a false

To feel is an action. To lead is an action. To change is an action. Only things can act. Only things can lead. Only things can change. Only things can change other things. If you were to attempt to point out a feeling, what it amounts to, and by what mechanism it leads to change, you'd finally realize you're not speaking in facts at all, and are merely parroting a dogma.

Only in your mind. It is a fact. At one time segregation was the norm. A group of people felt it was wrong. The led to various actions. Those actions led to segregation no longer the law. While the high end philosophical views seems hip and intelligent it's not reality. My statement previously is dead on and a fact. Your feelings can manifest to action/change. Your feelings do matter as they are the base of action., no amount of theory, philosophy, or psychology will change that.

posted on Aug, 15 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Only in your mind. It is a fact. At one time segregation was the norm. A group of people felt it was wrong. The led to various actions. Those actions led to segregation no longer the law. While the high end philosophical views seems hip and intelligent it's not reality. My statement previously is dead on and a fact. Your feelings can manifest to action/change. Your feelings do matter as they are the base of action., no amount of theory, philosophy, or psychology will change that.

This sounds like theory, philosophy and psychology to me. But this would be more low-end philosophical view, which is very trendy these days. "They felt it was wrong" is not any sort of explanation. It is not a fact, but simply more feeling.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Does the universe care about your feelings? How about the sun, the wind or the rain?

Emotions/feelings might exist in other animals, but no other creature appears to place as much importance on them or allow them to dictate their actions to such an extent as do humans.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Too bad this world isn't more like Equilibrium, where feelings are illegal. Sounds like some people around here would be right at home in that sort of culture.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

This sounds like theory, philosophy and psychology to me. But this would be more low-end philosophical view, which is very trendy these days. "They felt it was wrong" is not any sort of explanation. It is not a fact, but simply more feeling.

So they felt it was right?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Serial killers and other psychopaths don't have feelings for the murder and pain they do to others. I think I would rather hang around with humans who care about others pain.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Serial killers and other psychopaths don't have feelings for the murder and pain they do to others. I think I would rather hang around with humans who care about others pain.

Would agree with that, from what I understand they do " get off" or have euphoric feelings of their own during the process. But as the op said feelings don't matter. Lol
edit on 16-8-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I think it's a superiority thing, the same reason we hunt lions and elk. Nothing more satisfying than showing everyone who is boss and all that stuff. Major ego tripping. But ego and feelings are like thorn bushes and gardens.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

I think it's a superiority thing, the same reason we hunt lions and elk. Nothing more satisfying than showing everyone who is boss and all that stuff. Major ego tripping. But ego and feelings are like thorn bushes and gardens.

noun, plural egos.
the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Too bad this world isn't more like Equilibrium, where feelings are illegal. Sounds like some people around here would be right at home in that sort of culture.

Sadly, I'd say it's more like Brave New World. Give you a drug to keep you happy without losing productivity, or hook you up to a happiness machine so you'll be inundated with the feelings you favour. No pain, no suffering, always comfortable, never being offended. Of course, all this at the expense of the rest of the world.

Is the world you'd like to be a part of? What's the worse that could happen?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

noun, plural egos.
the “I” or self of any person; a person as thinking, feeling, and willing, and distinguishing itself from the selves of others and from objects of its thought.

indeed. but as with all things, its the application. there are those people who apply feelings in the "id" category, and those who apply their feelings in the "superego" category. service to self and service to others. both are motivated by emotion. pride, compassion, sorrow or indignation. feelings.

feelings DO matter unless you expect us to become machines, operating by command instead of by sincerity.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

noun, plural egos.

indeed. but as with all things, its the application. there are those people who apply feelings in the "id" category, and those who apply their feelings in the "superego" category. service to self and service to others. both are motivated by emotion. pride, compassion, sorrow or indignation. feelings.

feelings DO matter unless you expect us to become machines, operating by command instead of by sincerity.

Been my point all along. Feelings do matter as they lead to actions. Seems we agree and the op and I do not

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

yeah, but im being ignored for the time being. its a shame that the OP refuses to engage me directly, im really interested in having a discussion about this.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Sadly, I'd say it's more like Brave New World. Give you a drug to keep you happy without losing productivity, or hook you up to a happiness machine so you'll be inundated with the feelings you favour. No pain, no suffering, always comfortable, never being offended. Of course, all this at the expense of the rest of the world.

this confuses me. if you arent advocating lobotomy, then what are you advocating here?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

About feelings, my view is in direct accordance with Buddha's view. I am not advocating Buddhism, but I agree with him on how we should regard our feelings.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

To feel is an action. To lead is an action. Only things can act. So how does a feeling lead to action?

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

About feelings, my view is in direct accordance with Buddha's view. I am not advocating Buddhism, but I agree with him on how we should regard our feelings.

my opinion is that he was somewhat anal retentive in regard to emotions and how they should be handled. ultimate psychological neutrality is self-defeating, in that you dont experience suffering or elation. if you give up joy in order to avoid sorrow, you are not living at all.

just my two cents.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

It's not about psychological neutrality at all. It's about self-knowledge: knowing what our feelings are and what they amount to is a step towards self-knowledge. Once one knows what feelings are, the better he can deal with them.

Despite Buddha's view, it doesn't seem like he had any indifference towards other beings. No Equilibrium, no cruelty. In fact it was quite the opposite.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

To feel is an action. To lead is an action. Only things can act. So how does a feeling lead to action?

To feel is an action? I would disagree and say how you react to that feeling would be the action. Simple example, you feel affection for someone. Your reaction could be to then ask and go out on a date with this person (took action). Or you feel affection for a person but to scared and do nothing about it. Still have the feeling ( no action) I just disagree with your entire statement.

Another example. Someone cuts in front of you at a subway restaurant. You feel angry. You react by confronting that person. (Action) or same thing happens. You still feel angry but do nothing about it (no action)

Again what you said just doesn't ring true in the slightest. A feeling is not an action, it can lead to one. You can also have the same feeling but take no action. So a feeling isn't an Action but can lead to one.

posted on Aug, 16 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Feeling is the nominalization of the verb to feel.[1]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

How is a feeling not an action?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join