It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walter Palmer, the infamous lion killer. Be afraid, be very afraid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Hell, lets not get outraged at the thousands of gang-related deaths in the inner cities.

Lets drag our asses for almost a week before they lower a flag for four marines and a naval guy.

But we must make wee in our pants because some effing dentist shot an effing lion.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: In4ormant
a reply to: FlySolo

www.environmentmagazine.org...

Take some time to do some reading. Heads up, its a long article but covers everything.Game hunting ranches have increased populations on a good many animals and actually led to the reintroduction of a couple of species.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Take some time to do some reading. Game hunting ranches have increased populations on a good many animals and actually led to the reintroduction of a couple of species.

Stop using facts to make a point, a lion died!!!!

Don't you understand, even though the money from the kill will help preserve the species, and many others, a lion died!!!!!

These arguments are so tiring and boring.

Reality smacking folks in the face doesn't matter, only their feelings on the subject matters.

A lion died!!!!!

No good could ever come from that!!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Take some time to do some reading. Game hunting ranches have increased populations on a good many animals and actually led to the reintroduction of a couple of species.

Stop using facts to make a point, a lion died!!!!

Don't you understand, even though the money from the kill will help preserve the species, and many others, a lion died!!!!!

These arguments are so tiring and boring.

Reality smacking folks in the face doesn't matter, only their feelings on the subject matters.

A lion died!!!!!

No good could ever come from that!!!!

There's so much misplaced emotion on this its taking up 2 threads.
edit on 30-7-2015 by In4ormant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Hell, lets not get outraged at the thousands of gang-related deaths in the inner cities.

Lets drag our asses for almost a week before they lower a flag for four marines and a naval guy.

But we must make wee in our pants because some effing dentist shot an effing lion.

Beez, we both served, a kick in the nutz just doesn't quite explain my feelings on the subject.

How #ing pathetic has our society become....

Blacks kill blacks in droves, no problem.

A white cop defends himself legally, now #blacklivesmatter.

Yet magically don't the other multiples of times in a single weekend in Chicago.

Bring on the apocalypse, we deserve it.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

If just a fraction of the people who are "outraged" at this get "outraged" at politicians, we'd have anarchy in the streets!

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Pfft no wonder all but 5 seconds half assed attempt. I read your 1 page will you read my 17?
www.ifaw.org...

Probably not. So don't tell me I need to do some reading. Here, I'll get you going...

A study published by the pro-hunting International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation
and the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation found that hunting operators in Tanzania
contribute only 3% of their turnover to the communities that are affected by hunting. These
calculations are supported by other authors and the conclusion that hunting contributes
insufficiently to community development is widely acknowledged.

HOW IMPORTANT IS THE TROPHY HUNTING INDUSTRY?
While all sides of the trophy hunting debate acknowledge that local communities must benefit
more from hunting revenues, little consideration is given to how much difference reforming the
industry would actually make to economic development and poverty alleviation efforts in Africa.
The implication of authors such as Safari Club International’s Rudolph and Hosmer (2011) is that
trophy hunting is a large industry. $200m in trophy hunting revenue – or even 3% of this
revenue as discussed above – sounds significant when presented in the context of undeveloped
rural communities, but it is an insignificant amount in the context of national economies.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

Pfft no wonder all but 5 seconds half assed attempt. I read your 1 page will you read my 17?
www.ifaw.org...

Probably not. So don't tell me I need to do some reading. Here, I'll get you going...

A study published by the pro-hunting International Council for Game and Wildlife Conservation
and the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation found that hunting operators in Tanzania
contribute only 3% of their turnover to the communities that are affected by hunting. These
calculations are supported by other authors and the conclusion that hunting contributes
insufficiently to community development is widely acknowledged.

HOW IMPORTANT IS THE TROPHY HUNTING INDUSTRY?
While all sides of the trophy hunting debate acknowledge that local communities must benefit
more from hunting revenues, little consideration is given to how much difference reforming the
industry would actually make to economic development and poverty alleviation efforts in Africa.
The implication of authors such as Safari Club International’s Rudolph and Hosmer (2011) is that
trophy hunting is a large industry. $200m in trophy hunting revenue – or even 3% of this
revenue as discussed above – sounds significant when presented in the context of undeveloped
rural communities, but it is an insignificant amount in the context of national economies.

The point being made is the positive impact to wildlife numbers, the money is ancillary. Are you mad at killing animals or that not enough money from it is going to rural communities. What fight are you in?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The same people weeping for the lion are the same ones that ignore our vets.

Priorities.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Priorities.

Not sure you can make that dog hunt but I get your frustrations.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

I just wish those that are openly weeping for this lion gave as much a damn for the homeless.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

why does it have to be one thing or another? why not both or all?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

why does it have to be one thing or another? why not both or all?

Fine by me.

If your putting as much passion into feeding the homeless as you are hating a dentist, then rock on.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
If Obama had a pet lion, he would look like cicil.

Is the U.S. Government sending a delegation to the funeral?

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

ah that's not the narrative at all. We all hate dentists

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

So I'm reading your link because I would hate to be bias of course, and I come across this

There is much evidence to suggest that hunting is less destructive than other nonconsumptive forms of ecotourism, such as photographic tourism.23

Not to get off topic but, really? Suddenly I'm feeling biased. I'll continue to read but I want to see numbers. Not words, numbers...

eta:
aw what's this next line?

The income generated from the hunting industry far exceeds that generated from other forms of ecotourism

This is just flat out false. I'm on page one of your link and I'm already finding real bad information. What else is false about this info?
The hunting only contributes 2% of all ecotourism.

edit on 30-7-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

So I'm reading your link because I would hate to be bias of course, and I come across this

There is much evidence to suggest that hunting is less destructive than other nonconsumptive forms of ecotourism, such as photographic tourism.23

Not to get off topic but, really? Suddenly I'm feeling biased. I'll continue to read but I want to see numbers. Not words, numbers...

eta:
aw what's this next line?

The income generated from the hunting industry far exceeds that generated from other forms of ecotourism

This is just flat out false. I'm on page one of your link and I'm already finding real bad information. What else is false about this info?
The hunting only contributes 2% of all ecotourism.

And you call it bad based on? You don't seem willing to accept facts because it is in conflict with your emotions. I get it. We all can be passionately blinded at times. You don't seem willing to accept it based on your gut. It still doesn't change it.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Although hunting opposition members argue that hunting by tourists will result in the widespread extinction of greater numbers of animal species, this is not necessarily the case.15 Bontebok (Damaliscus pygargus dorcas), black wildebeest (Connochaetes gnou) and cape mountain zebra (Equus zebra zebra) have all been successfully reintroduced in South Africa as a result of financial assistance provided by hunting tourism.27 Similar success has been achieved with the southern white rhinoceros (Ceratotherium simum simum), and from 1968 to 1994 populations increased from 1,800 to over 6,370 on privately owned game ranches.

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

It's based on this:

www.ifaw.org...
No conflict of emotions here. It does nothing for the economy.

And I would like to point out this study was done by Economics at large.
www.ecolarge.com...
edit on 30-7-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Priorities.

Isn't it just "awesome " sauce?

I think at times if we had mandatory service like Israel if things wouldn't be different. (WTF, my auto correct did every permutation of Israel possible but it, I actually had to retype it 3 times".

What happened?

The vets sacrifice is so much greater than the average man's, how do these folks not understand?

Because they are pampered, they can't imagine a 36 hour day, on duty, with 100lbs of kit.

It can't be explained, it can only be lived.

That is why I think all should serve.

Then at least they would get what it is like. What it means to serve.

Before I joined, I was that douche that didn't stand for the National Anthem, after.....

I look back and see what kind of POS I was in my youth.

I was a petulant child, convinced of my own worth.

Drill sergeant Wise taught me what actual worth was measured in.

It is measured in action and everyday conduct.

If you are worth a crap, you will live it.

Let them say whatever they want.

"they took a boy and made a man"

I am the hard assed man that can do, will do what needs doing, that will act to create the situation greatness grows from.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join