It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: FDA OKs Ecstasy Study in Cancer Patients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The Food and Drug Administration has given the go ahead for a pilot study to look at the use of ecstacy in terminally ill cancer patients. Better known as an illegal club drug, researchers hope that its use will help ease anxiety and lessen fears in their dying patients. The trial will begin this spring and involve 12 patients in the Boston area.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The illegal club drug Ecstasy can trigger euphoria among the dance club set, but can it ease the debilitating anxiety that cancer patients feel as they face their final days?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved a pilot study looking at whether the recreational hallucinogen can help terminally ill patients lessen their fears, quell thoughts of suicide and make it easier for them to deal with loved ones.

"End of life issues are very important and are getting more and more attention, and yet there are very few options for patients who are facing death," Dr. John Halpern, the Harvard research psychiatrist in charge of the study, said Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While we can to some degree control the pain, nothing has really been looked at for dealing with the anxiety and fears that come from knowing that you will die. My family has had a very rough spell the last few years. Sandwiched in between my father in law dying last year, was the death of my mother and now the terminal nature of my mother in law. Both have AML subtype 2. The coincidence of this is mind boggling. However, we did hospice with my mother. She retained her mental faculties till the very last day. Although surrounded by family, she was still scared and sad about the fate that had befallen her. Had something been able to help ease her sense of anxiety or fear without turning her into a drugged out zombie, I would have been forever grateful.

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
way to go, medium/long term ecstacy use certainly damages your brain, but since you not expect to life that long ROLLLLLL your way out......The current anti-depressants can surpress the smaller pains of the mind, but facing imminent death, you need some real dope, like morphine, X or the love of Jesus to lift the black fog.

crack + ecstacy: You never felt so good about stealing your neighbours t.v. - Dr. Seuss

[edit on 29-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

new topics

join